Re: fire in greece, attacks in india

  • Alex Woods
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 11, 2007
      I don't know anything about Greece, so I'm not going to address the idea
      that people intentionally burn their own land, but it certainly sounds
      plausible. However, commentators in the media frequently fail to mention
      that periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems, Mediterranean
      forest / scrub among them. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in
      this to take a look at the writings of the British naturalist Oliver
      Rackham, either The Nature of Mediterranean Europe: An Ecological History or
      Woodlands (which is mainly concerned with the British Isles but which
      discusses fire as an adaptation in the Med, western North America, and
      Australia). Certain types of forests not only are designed to burn, but
      have to burn periodically to remain healthy - think of pine trees, which
      produce copious amounts of flammable leaf litter, and whose seeds in many
      cases can't germinate until they have been toasted open. Whether people set
      those fires or not, they are bound to happen, just as they have been
      happening for thousands of years. Compare the English or eastern North
      American deciduous forest, which burns, as Rackham puts it, "like wet
      asbestos."

      Alex
      NYC

    • michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
        Indeed. Earth seems to have begun the process of removing its chief
        threat - human population. This process will be accelerated by the
        next world war - probably over declining oil supplies.

        On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:38 AM, karoubas wrote:

        > The earth has a remarkable ability to heal itself �

        > Kostas

      • michael
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 12, 2007
          Alex,

          it is becoming a restoration practice here (Wisconsin) to burn the
          forest on the limestone and sandstone bluffs to encourage the return
          of the oak savanna ecosystems from the remnants which have survived.
          Tricky business but it works if done by professionals - we have had
          so many dry years that the forest is no longer 'like wet asbestos'.
          The fire first removes the alien shrub understory, allowing
          germination from the seedbank of savanna forbs; then it kills the
          softwood trees. Voila (in earth terms meaning decades), sparsely
          separated bur and white oaks with an understory of savanna plants.

          - Michael

          On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Alex Woods wrote:

          > periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems,

          > Compare the English or eastern North
          > American deciduous forest, which burns, as Rackham puts it, "like wet
          > asbestos."
          >
          > Alex
          > NYC

        • karoubas