Re: fires in greece

  • witchessocks
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6 8:59 AM
      thank you so much, okinori taniguchi, for the website-

      www.naturalfarming.us

      -very informative and hopeful, to know what fukuoka-sensei is up to
      along with those lucky followers who are working with him right now.
      and thank you for your concern about those affected by the fires..

      paganinimic, i am looking forward to your website and any experiences
      you might share... please, please, keep us informed. in particular,
      i'd like to hear about how to assemble and prepare the seedballs. i
      will personally try to collect more info for you when and if i run
      across it.

      how is fukuoka-sensei? does he seem in good health and humor? please,
      if anyone talks to him, please express to him one soul's feelings of
      deep affection and respect for him... in my opinion, he has made the
      greatest impact on all life on this earth of any human; he is the most
      extraordinary
      role-model, a bringer of light for our darkest hours. i will try , to
      the best of my ability, to follow and obey his instructions with as
      much diligence and humility as i can, here, where i live in virginia, usa.

      karoubas, i am so glad the panos farm escaped the fires; but how
      horrible that some people would burn forests, animals, and people
      deliberately in order to make money in corporate land development. i
      imagine this would fill the hearts of good people with feelings of
      righteous anger. was your personal land burned? i am so sorry. good
      future luck to you, and thank you for your website. i will definitely
      check the site frequently to see what you are up to.

      well, i wish all the success in the world to those who will spread the
      seedballs over the burned areas. i know from observation in my own
      case, it sometimes takes
      several years for the seeds to finally germinate and grow. and, one
      thing about a burned area that is hopeful, the burning seems to
      stimulate the starting of some seeds that would otherwise not germinate.

      i expect that the warming of temperatures will bring the needed
      adjustment that the earth needs to replenish herself. the earth needs
      to do what she has to to survive, and i don't blame her one bit for
      any drastic measures she needs to take to protect herself from and
      transcend the exploitation that mankind has so disgustingly imposed
      upon her. that may sound harsh, and of course i don't want anything
      bad to happen to people, but humankind has done it to themselves, as
      well as others, so what nature has to do to right this, so shall it be.

      hoping and working for the new green paradise on earth**********robin
    • JSENT
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 7 8:00 AM
        "Mom is going to fix it all soon,
        Mom is coming round to put it back
        the way it oughtta be...

        Learn to swim."

        aenima - tool
        http://www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Tool/Aenima.html

      • michael
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10 1:14 PM
          Which is it, set or allowed to burn?
          Where is the profit in burnt trees and countryside, including homes
          and tourist locations?
          - Michael

          On Sep 5, 2007, at 1:01 AM, karoubas wrote:

          > fires were set intentionally - or were allowed to burn - the profit
          > motive was behind 90% of the fires and destruction
          >
          > Kostas

        • Dieter Brand
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10 2:59 PM
            Michael,

            I think the idea is that people set fire to forests
            and then somehow manage to get permission to
            build on land that was previously dedicated
            (zoned if you are in the US) forest land. This
            would of course increase the value of your land.

            They say the same when we have wildfires here
            in Portugal. I'm a little suspicious about this type
            of conspiracy theory. Fact is, wildfires will happen
            once the thermometer hits 40 or 45 deg. C (110 to
            120 F) after months of drought. A single spark -
            one stone hitting another - can be enough to set
            a whole region on fire. And once you have a fire
            front of 10 to 20 miles with strong winds it just
            keeps on burning for days even with dozens of
            fire fighting planes from all over Europe.

            Dieter Brand
            Portugal

            michael <mdearing@...> wrote:
            Which is it, set or allowed to burn?
            Where is the profit in burnt trees and countryside, including homes
            and tourist locations?
            - Michael

            On Sep 5, 2007, at 1:01 AM, karoubas wrote:

            > fires were set intentionally - or were allowed to burn - the profit
            > motive was behind 90% of the fires and destruction
            >
            > Kostas

          • karoubas
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 10 10:38 PM
              Both
              Laws here in Greece are written in such ways that in fact encourage
              the setting of fires.

              I will explain.

              If you own a piece of land (say 10,000 square meters) that you have
              not farmed or used for years, and that land is now half covered with
              pine trees, you can only develop the 5,000 square meters – you are not
              allowed by law to cut trees or develop the 5,000 square meters
              forested land. If however there is a forest fire, you can legally
              develop the entire lot.

              As often happens, land that was useless 30 years ago becomes very
              valuable over a period of time – if there is no fire the land may be
              worth 400,000 euros – if there is a forest fire the land will be worth
              800,000 euros or more. That's a lot of money for a greedy – lazy
              person. This explains why fires start simultaneously in 20 different
              places in one area.

              Add to this that there is no national land registry that defines
              exactly what is publicly owned and what is private.

              Also add the total incompetence or unwillingness of the government to
              put out even small fires, and you have an inferno that we are all
              going to pay for it – its so easy to destroy something – it only takes
              a second to start a fire and burn thousands of trees– but try planting
              thousands of trees – it takes years and time.

              The local farmers put out most of the fires; they spend many days
              without sleep trying to save their homes, olive trees, and yes the
              forests – without help.

              So it's not a conspiracy theory – I wish it was, and that this entire
              inferno was a natural event. But the fires, just like the polluted
              rivers, polluted underground water system and polluted air, are all
              man produced, and the motive is profit.

              The earth has a remarkable ability to heal itself – if we stopped
              damaging it – it heals quickly – I have seen a river that was so
              polluted that fish could not live in it and I have seen a harbor that
              stank from the waste that was dumped in it. Ten years after the
              pollution stopped – the fish returned in both the river and harbor.

              Kostas

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, michael <mdearing@...> wrote:

              > Which is it, set or allowed to burn?
              > Where is the profit in burnt trees and countryside, including homes
              > and tourist locations?
              > - Michael
              >
              > On Sep 5, 2007, at 1:01 AM, karoubas wrote:
              >
              > > fires were set intentionally - or were allowed to burn - the profit
              > > motive was behind 90% of the fires and destruction
              > >
              > > Kostas

            • Alex Woods
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 11 5:29 AM
                I don't know anything about Greece, so I'm not going to address the idea
                that people intentionally burn their own land, but it certainly sounds
                plausible. However, commentators in the media frequently fail to mention
                that periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems, Mediterranean
                forest / scrub among them. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested in
                this to take a look at the writings of the British naturalist Oliver
                Rackham, either The Nature of Mediterranean Europe: An Ecological History or
                Woodlands (which is mainly concerned with the British Isles but which
                discusses fire as an adaptation in the Med, western North America, and
                Australia). Certain types of forests not only are designed to burn, but
                have to burn periodically to remain healthy - think of pine trees, which
                produce copious amounts of flammable leaf litter, and whose seeds in many
                cases can't germinate until they have been toasted open. Whether people set
                those fires or not, they are bound to happen, just as they have been
                happening for thousands of years. Compare the English or eastern North
                American deciduous forest, which burns, as Rackham puts it, "like wet
                asbestos."

                Alex
                NYC

              • michael
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12 7:20 AM
                  Indeed. Earth seems to have begun the process of removing its chief
                  threat - human population. This process will be accelerated by the
                  next world war - probably over declining oil supplies.

                  On Sep 11, 2007, at 12:38 AM, karoubas wrote:

                  > The earth has a remarkable ability to heal itself �

                  > Kostas

                • michael
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12 7:30 AM
                    Alex,

                    it is becoming a restoration practice here (Wisconsin) to burn the
                    forest on the limestone and sandstone bluffs to encourage the return
                    of the oak savanna ecosystems from the remnants which have survived.
                    Tricky business but it works if done by professionals - we have had
                    so many dry years that the forest is no longer 'like wet asbestos'.
                    The fire first removes the alien shrub understory, allowing
                    germination from the seedbank of savanna forbs; then it kills the
                    softwood trees. Voila (in earth terms meaning decades), sparsely
                    separated bur and white oaks with an understory of savanna plants.

                    - Michael

                    On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:29 AM, Alex Woods wrote:

                    > periodic burning is an adaptation of many ecosystems,

                    > Compare the English or eastern North
                    > American deciduous forest, which burns, as Rackham puts it, "like wet
                    > asbestos."
                    >
                    > Alex
                    > NYC

                  • karoubas