Map of natural farms and meeting

  • paganinimic
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 4, 2007
      Dear all:
      I am just back from the international meeting held in Panos' farm
      (http://www.geocities.com/karoubas/files/internationalmeet2007.pdf)
      where I meet lots of people and got introduced to how to make clayballs.
      this was a great practical experience, after my studies in Fukuoka's
      books.
      We may soon make a website available from the side of italy, and I
      will tell you more about this in the coming months.
      On this matter I would ask you if you could contribute by sending me
      weblinks on natural agriculture experience or documentation existing
      in the internet. In particular I have heard about a map with natural
      farms around the world. can anybody help?
      thank you very much in advance.
      You contribution will be precious to the spread of natural agriculture.
      cheers to all of you,
      Michela
    • michiyoshibuya
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 20, 2007
        Hello Michela,

        This is Michiyo from Japan, I finally came back from Greece after
        three weeks of my stay
        attending the meeting at Panos(August 24-Sep-2) and seeing the area
        in mountain Pilion which were burned
        by the fire.

        Here is my report of the meeting to be shared to this list members
        I hope people will remember the map I saw some years ago:

        At the meeting, there were about 150 people all together from ten
        different countries. The meeting
        started with a tour of Panos's farm(3 ha) and his brief introduction
        on what natural farming is all about,
        who Masanobu Fukuoka is. He has a beautiful farm with grapes,
        peaches, plums, apples, figs, Asian pear, chestnut,
        cherry which he sells for living.

        The meeting was carried out in 4 languages. Greek, English,
        Italian, and Japanese. There were volunteer interpreters among
        the participants who did wonderful job. Almost every other day, we
        made a big circle outside and take turns to introduce ourselves and
        speak.
        There were some people with many years of experience in clayball
        making or giving workshop to children, and there were some who
        started some years ago. There were people who practice synergistic
        agriculture or permaculture, and there were many who
        were on macrobiotic diet.

        Original intention of the meeting was to do a report session among
        already-practicing natural farmers, esp. the clayball makers, and
        people who scatter seeds in desert(clayball or direct seeding) to
        exchange information, in particular, our success and failure. I was
        also interested in comparing different clayballs made by people in
        different geographical setting.
        However, because there weren't too many people who can make a
        report, the meeting focused on
        the following themes:
        1. How to exchange information
        2. How we create natural farms in each countries where everyone can
        visit to know what it is about
        3. How we can collect seeds to be needed for big seeding projects

        For the solution of 1, Michela(who posted message 6439) volunteered
        to make a website for Italy. I proposed her to write to this
        fukuoka farming group to get
        reactions from different people. I also know that there was a
        website with the map of the world where different natural garden
        can be viewed upon clicking the dots, and inoformation on
        philosophical background of different low-input agriculturag method:
        bio-dynamic, fukuoka farming, etc. What happened to that site? Was
        it Larry's private page and it cannot be seen any more?

        I think that a good website can be very helpful if someone
        volunteers to make one. Because on this mailing list, we see many
        new people
        asking the same questions over and over and sometimes no one is
        answering.
        Even as for the topic of how to make clayballs, I am sure each of us
        make in different ways with different ingredients. They may work or
        not
        work depending on the circumstances, so it will be very helpful if
        there is a section for how to make clayballs. As for the tools for
        mass-production, there must be photos available from the meeting of
        both a concrete mixer and the metal frame(big and small). Can
        someone upload the photos? Does anyone have a photo of the bicycle
        attached concrete mixer from Italy and Auroville, India? I heard
        neither of them weren't quite successful, but only needs small
        arrangement(some small parts missing) to make it work.

        For 3. Until someone volunteers to collect seeds and start a
        greening project,Panos is collecting seeds at his address
        (I will make an announcement in the next message.)

        Again, at least for number 1 and 2, I think this yahoo group shares
        similar interests, and wasn't it the original intention of this
        group?

        In the meeting in Greece, during the whole week, 9 am to about 2 pm
        were spent for making clayballs by three different methods.
        1. handmade, 2, concrete mixer, 3. molding using a metal frame.
        Seeing the result of seeding in 2005 at Anthusa (east fo Athens),
        the molding method that produces clay pellets which is about 5 cm in
        diameter,
        3 cm thick, containing clay(obtained from nature and sieved by hand,
        not refined), cotton(waste from cotton factory), mineral(I could not
        know what it was, but white powder, water,
        mixed together with seeds in a concrete mixer and then carried to
        the mold.
        (the above ingredients from 2005 clayball production which I
        attended),

        but this time, we did not use mineral powder or cotton, but instead,
        we used
        small portion of peat moss, and as for clay, we purchased the kind
        for roof tile.

        The reason why this type of clayball to be considered better was
        that, it did not melt by the extraordinary heavy rain during the
        winter time
        of that year. Other ones by concrete mixer or by hands completely
        melted although some seed germinated in the springtime from
        the ground.
        Also because it has flat surface to attach better to the ground, it
        can stay in the middle of a steep hill.
        And finally, it has a very different function from the regular
        clayballs, that this disc contains more seeds and they are allowed
        (or forced) to make
        a colony for plants to grow together.

        So for the next seeding this year, we wanted to use the ones which
        would not melt.
        To my understanding, Fukuoka came up with the idea of protecting the
        seeds with mud or clay,
        and he did not give a specific instruction on how it should be
        wrapped or be made, so
        I think that we should all keep working to find the ones that work
        in different climate of the world.
        The ones which are suited for humid areas like Japan and other Asian
        countries may be different
        from Greece and its neigboring countires whose climate, vegetation
        and animals are very different.

        So from the second day on, we made handmade clayballs--or what
        should we call them?
        into different shapes, trying to think which shape would be the
        best. Many Italians were quite crafty and they made
        cookie-like or brownie-like andinto different shapes and later I did
        a small experiment during the meeting: taking each sample
        and sank them into water to check the endurance.

        The ones with smooth surface(it also means that the body is
        compacted) maintained its shape after 10 minutes no matter what
        shape it is
        and the rest(the ones with rough surface) melted down. The former
        includes the handmade "clayballs" and the concrete mixer "clayballs.
        So the next day, we started to make each clay block as firm as
        possible by mixing more, kneading more, hitting to the ground
        spending
        3-4 longer time for each pellet until Panos says,
        "rough surface would probably better for germination" so we got
        confused, then we changed to the easier method of making into a
        cookie-dough like shape
        and cut either by a knife or a string.
        We will not know which clay pellets would perform the best until
        next spring, but I will report the result next year.

        In a week we were able to make 5 metric tons of clayballs and loaded
        them to a truck.

        In the evening, two nights were spent for seeing Fukuoka's video
        message to Panos and all of us recorded on August 19th, 2007
        and the video "for living on the planet earth", and two other
        documentary films on natural farming. There was an old documentary
        film
        made by German company(?) on the Fukuoka farm in Japan during 60's
        or 70's, which had never seen before. Other nights were spent
        for Greek dances, Italian dances and singing, going to the hot
        spring, going out to restaurant, etc.

        It was really inspring to meet people sharing the same goal.
        Natural faming is not about making your own property natural but it
        is
        to view all things connected and see yourself as part of it.

        There is no plan for a similar meeting in the near future, but Panos
        will always be making big quantity of clayball in the same season;
        late
        August to September. So anyone who missed this occasion but still
        interested to learn should attend the one next year.

        Michiyo Shibuya
      • Dieter Brand
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2007
          Michiyo,

          Thanks for the detailed report, that is quite a change.

          You wrote:
          > ... on this mailing list, we see many new people
          > asking the same questions over and over and sometimes
          > no one is answering. ...

          A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) uploaded to the files
          section of this group would be the easiest way of addressing this
          problem. Any volunteers?

          Dieter Brand
          Portugal

        • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2007
            Hi Michiyo:

            This is Radha. You visited our place in Bangalore. Murali and I can help you set up the website if you could think out your requirements anytime.

            Warm regards
            Radha

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 23, 2007
                Hello Radha,

                Thank you for replying and volunteering to help.
                It will be most helpful if you can make a website or even just add
                up to this fukuoka farming site somehow
                on what's going on with natural farmers and clayball projects in
                India.
                I hear stories of India, but I do not have the whole image.
                How many natural farms do you know in India, and what do they grow
                and how do they grow? Do they use clayballs, Do they accept
                visitors? etc.
                And are there any ongoing clayball projects? How is your project
                going, how was the result of your last seeding, what were the
                difficulites? etc.

                Also how many of fukuoka's books are available, and in what language?

                Can other Indian people help to gather all the above information or
                is it already available somewhere?

                How about making a function with which people can add reports on
                their private visit to the natural farms in addition to the more
                official information of those farms?
                (sorry, it is so easy for me to just make a proposal and give work
                to others, but please do whatever you think you would like to do and
                you think it is helpful to people around you.)

                I think these information from each country will be helpful, but
                perhaps, it will be easier if someone try to gather information from
                his/her own country only and main purpose of the website is to give
                information to the people of that country, (of course, it is good if
                this can help foreign visiters as well). And when we know there are
                enough information from each country worth while to make the
                international website, we can try to sort out information. What do
                you think?

                Thank you Bob, for the map, you are right, the map grew a little
                bigger in my imagination, but I think the original idea for the map
                was very good and when we have enough people to contribute, we can
                for sure, make a better map.

                best wishes,
                Michiyo
              • Nandan Palaparambil
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007

                  > Also how many of fukuoka's books are available, and
                  > in what language?

                  One straw revolution, Back to Nature and Natural
                  farming - theory and practice are available here. One
                  straw revolution and Back to Nature are available in
                  my local language Malayalam (Kerala state). Recently I
                  talked to the C.P.Gangadharan who had translated One
                  Straw revolution from English to Malayalam. To my
                  surprise, I came to know that he is my school teacher
                  and is near to my village.

                  I heard that there is another Fukuoka book, is it
                  available in India?

                  > How about making a function with which people can
                  > add reports on
                  > their private visit to the natural farms in addition
                  > to the more
                  > official information of those farms?
                  > (sorry, it is so easy for me to just make a proposal
                  > and give work
                  > to others, but please do whatever you think you
                  > would like to do and
                  > you think it is helpful to people around you.)

                  This is a good suggestion, would like to attend such a
                  function to meet like minded people.

                  Regards,
                  Nandan

                • rajutitus lal
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                    It is not easy to get knowledge of natural farming by books ,meetings and seminars. It is better to practice natural farming may be in very small piece of land.- Raju

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
                      Dear Raju,

                      Thanks for the valuable feedbacks.

                      Right now that is the only option. Presently I am in
                      Bangalore and is working in software industry and will
                      be continuing in this for another 6-7 years before
                      taking an early retirement at 45.

                      But my reading/talking to different people and this
                      mailing list has helped me to understand quite few
                      things and I understand it is only the first step.

                      Is there anyone maintaining a Fukuoka-san style farm
                      where people live and learn NF? Just having thoughts
                      if this style of farm can be managed, if we provide
                      food and accomodation. I am planning to buy some 4-5
                      acres of land, but I have to do remote management from
                      a distance of 500KM for 6-7 years before moving in to
                      this.

                      Regards,
                      Nandan

                      > It is not easy to get knowledge of natural farming
                      > by books ,meetings and seminars. It is better to
                      > practice natural farming may be in very small piece
                      > of land.- Raju

                      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
                    • rajutitus lal
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
                        Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote: Dear Raju,

                        Thanks for the valuable feedbacks.

                        Right now that is the only option. Presently I am in
                        Bangalore and is working in software industry and will
                        be continuing in this for another 6-7 years before
                        taking an early retirement at 45.

                        But my reading/talking to different people and this
                        mailing list has helped me to understand quite few
                        things and I understand it is only the first step.

                        Is there anyone maintaining a Fukuoka-san style farm
                        where people live and learn NF? Just having thoughts
                        if this style of farm can be managed, if we provide
                        food and accomodation. I am planning to buy some 4-5
                        acres of land, but I have to do remote management from
                        a distance of 500KM for 6-7 years before moving in to
                        this.
                        >My guru and a person who introduce fukuoka in India is living and doing farming in Bangalore He is Pertap Agerwal his mobile phone no is 9242984385 and email is-pertapsudesh@...
                        address is A-7 White field villa.Banglore.560066

                        Regards,
                        Nandan

                        > It is not easy to get knowledge of natural farming
                        > by books ,meetings and seminars. It is better to
                        > practice natural farming may be in very small piece
                        > of land.- Raju

                        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658

                      • proportio_sesquitertia
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
                          "paganinimic" wrote:

                          > On this matter I would ask you if you could contribute by sending me
                          > weblinks on natural agriculture experience or documentation existing
                          > in the internet.

                          Hello Michela,

                          Two notes by Michiyo Shibuya are helpful for me:

                          "Our seeding in Ashio went quite well with 13 participants. Thank you
                          all for your support.

                          "to report the result of my copper-mine seeding in the spring.

                        • Anuradha Desikan Eswar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 26, 2007
                            Dear Michiyo,

                            Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't checking mails for some time. We could help with any actual content management for a web site. As far as getting information about people in India is concerned, as you would have already noticed, Raju Bhai is a serious natural farmer here. Apart from him, there are a number of natural farmers who have followed natural farming based on their own traditional knowledge and experiments. Examples would be Dabholkar ji and Subhash Palekar ji. Anybody who googles their names will come across their works. Will you need such information? Then about translation of books....I do not know right away but could find out I guess. The project of seeding unnfortunately did not happen this year as many people shifted jobs or got transferred in the various organisations. BCIL is attempting to do it the coming monsoon. Let us wait and see.

                            This is the picture as I see it today. If anything further develops I shall let you know.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 28, 2007
                              Raju,

                              Thanks for contact details of Partap Aggarwal, I heave heard about him from different sources. Currently he is in Navadarshanam.

                              http://www.navadarshanam.org

                              Regards,
                              Nandan