RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Academy of natural farming

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 9, 2007
      Dear Dieter,

      I was checking with some more farmers on these and
      here are some comments.. It took some time to come
      with this..

      > Straw and/or other organic residues are sufficient
      > to grow
      > all of your food without using anything else as
      > fertilizer,
      > provided, that is, you start with a rich and
      > healthy soil.

      Straw is used mainly as cattle food so farmers won't
      be able to return all the straw back to the field. But
      is it required to return all the straw or a % of total
      would do?

      > It is possible to control weeds without ploughing
      > by a
      > system of organic no-till farming, provided, that
      > is, your
      > climate allows continued coverage of your fields
      > by cash
      > and/or cover crops throughout the entire growing
      > season,
      > as has been demonstrated by Fukuoka and others.
      > So far, I have seen no evidence that natural
      > farming,
      > i.e. organic no-till, is possible in the arid or
      > semi-arid
      > regions of the World, were the dry season makes
      > continued coverage impossible.

      So it is disturbing to know that no-till is possible
      in our regions !!. I checked with a few farmers who
      was trying NF inspired by onestraw revolution. In one
      area where rain is more (since it is near the forest)
      weeds are very strong so they could not avoid
      ploughing..

      As you had mentioned, in summer season the fields are
      left as it is. Towards the end of the summer they
      plough the fields so that there is no threat from the
      weeds.

      Another major issue was with rodents and birds which
      take at least half of the yield. This is was major
      issue with one person since his paddy field was an
      isolated ones and he has to feed all the rats and
      birds in that region.

      So it looks like, we have to derive and use fukuoka's
      farming methods here.

      Nandan
      India

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • yarrow@sfo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 21, 2007
        At 3:10 PM -0700 8/21/07, Dieter Brand wrote:
        I can’t for the h.. of it remember what OSR stands for