Re: [fukuoka_farming] Emelia, and anyone else... A huge pile of good soil???

  • Robin, Maya, or Napi
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2002
      Dear Sir,

      Thank you all for the work that you share this way.

      Please excuse me if I have missed something in the discussion of
      your spring plans. New to the group, I have much to learn of the soil
      and of the protocol here in the ether. May I ask if you have requested
      the management entity, which plans to burn the pile, if instead they
      would donate to an organic garden project. Do you have a contact by
      name through whom you have learned of the burn plan? Might the cleaner
      air prospect of moving rather than burning sway someone in a position to
      authorize road building equipment to shove the stuff to your land, maybe
      even into a long berm at the property line? Might you propose that the
      locality offer road building leftovers to nearby interested landholders
      as a cooperative clean air and wildlife habitat initiative? If you
      offer a proposal to the proper department to document your results, you
      may even get a funding source to experiment further with the multiple
      uses of such post construction heaps. A small one-time grant could
      cover your costs in preparing a win-win report, film for before & after
      photos, and maybe a chipper rental.

      I fling out all these questions because our small not-for-profit
      cooperative school asked for and now receive truckloads of rough chip
      for our half city block of park / playground, formerly mostly steep hill
      up to an alley. The chip comes from the heavy equipment that trims
      around city power lines. The company is happy to have a taker, and to
      show a community service project. The chip winters down considerably.
      We shaped quite a bit by wheelbarrow to build a 30-meter-long wall berm
      of raised gardens that safely separates the playground from the alley.
      Another few loads made a retaining wall that hosts and is held by
      decorative plants; it extends the plateau for a shade gazebo over a
      couple of picnic tables. We built natural climbing features to avoid
      big garish plastic playground products; one of ours is a grass hill
      "castle" with stone threshold and accents donated from the scrap pile of
      the local industry, a grave monument engraver by the neighborhood
      cemetery. Several loads of chip made a small grassed "lounging hill"
      behind the park entrance sculpture. Plans for this season's chip loads
      include more terrace "destinations" with specimen plants and a raised
      crescent stage to be grassed. Outline with big wood, back fill, plant
      in dirt trenches throughout the chip shape. The Department of
      Recreation & Parks here in Richmond, Virginia agrees not to use
      chemicals on this site because of our school next door. Our designs
      must accommodate the size of their equipment, shaped with soft rounding,
      earth-ramped so they can mow the terrace step berms & across the
      crescent (not the garden berms), as required by the city. This
      digression to our park detail is to suggest one range of projects that a
      locality might buy into. Show your fine work. Best of luck to you.
      Napi Ippolito