Mr. Hashimotofs no-till field

  • Kyle Holzhueter
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2002
      Previously I wrote that Mr. Hashimoto followed a method developed by Mr.
      Kawaguchi. I was incorrect. Mr. Hashimoto follows a method developed by
      Mr. Tsujikawa. Mr. Tsujikawa uses separate fields to grow summer and winter
      vegetables. Winter cover crops are grown on the summer vegetable field
      while summer cover crops are grown on the winter vegetable field. When the
      seasonal cover crops die, they become mulch for the following season�fs
      vegetables.

      Mr. Hashimoto�fs no-till field uses Mr. Tsujikawa�fs method of growing
      summer vegetables. Mr. Hashimoto�fs field consists of raised beds running
      the length of the field. One bed is 3 meters wide while the other beds are
      approximately 120 cm wide. Fruit trees are interspersed on the 3-meter wide
      bed. They include kiwi, hassaku, large mandarin oranges, small mandarin
      oranges, lemons, and iyokan. Hassaku and iyokan are citrus fruits the size
      of oranges. Iyokan are sweet while hassaku have the texture and taste of a
      grapefruit. All of the trees are still immature. Buckwheat and hairy vetch
      are sown around September and October. When the Buckwheat and hairy vetch
      die in June, summer vegetables are planted. The winter cover crops become
      mulch. Watermelon, pumpkin, muskmelon, cucumber, etc. can be grown in the
      3-meter wide bed. Both Mr. Tsujikawa and Mr. Hashimoto prefer to
      transplant. Sweet Potatoes, eggplant, green peppers, okra, etc. can be
      grown on the narrower beds.

      Kyle