Re: growing into NF

  • witchessocks
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 9, 2007
      bless your hearts...

      fukuoka discusses how to prepare the land with cover crops in his
      writings. this is not exclusive to polyculture.he does not exclusively
      use seedballs, he scatters bare cover crop seeds and covers these with
      straw or cut weeds. he prepares the ground with woodchips, etc...

      i find his writings practical, though by no means am i trained or
      versed in the techniques of modern organic farming.

      yes, i am a hypocrite, having tilled my share of earth, though almost
      always regretting it afterward.

      have you read in "the natural way of farming" the fukuokan analysis of
      the three ways of farming compared; mahayana natural farming, hinayana
      natural farming (where i think i am), and scientific farming.(where i
      don't want to be, but where i may actually be). can anyone make an
      analysis of these three?

      as far as negative comments about "nirvana", mysticism, and religion
      goes, i am under the impression that fukuoka-san is a very spiritual
      guy. i am convinced that spirituality or philosophy is what natural
      farming is all about, what it is judged on, whereas scientific farming
      should be evaluated on scientific grounds. i am convinced of this
      because this is what fukuoka-san says, not because i am any good. i
      would like to achieve nirvana, so excuse me.(or not). i think fukuokan
      principles are pure common-sense, they are logical.

      i would love to have other like-minded people come to my farm and
      commune with me also. i have invited organic farmers in my community
      to come, but there is not that many people around here who care about
      natural farming fukuoka-style, they are not that interested.they want
      instant and easy success in their gardens. they want big fruit, etc.
      people have invited me to come and dig (literally and figuratively)
      them and theirs but to tell the truth i am not interested in digging,
      weeding, designating areas and such, because i am interested in
      achieving mahayana natural farming, fukuoka farming....my soul is
      "bare" so i stay home and prepare my "soul-ground" to someday
      hopefully receive it if i am that lucky. a more crass reason why i am
      "alone" in my farming is that i have a mother-in-law with alzheimer's
      and i dare not leave for long. i must stay close to care for her
      24/7.i don't care if i have to reinvent the wheel myself. in fact, in
      my farming, i want to uninvent the wheel! i don't need no stinkin'
      wheel! :) i want pure nature, just like fukuoka-san wrote about. he
      may have written it years and years ago, and it may be thought of as
      "quaint" and old-fashioned, but it's comprehensive, and that's what i
      want. i like people, and i want to talk with them and work with them
      but i don't want to be compromised by them, unless i am convinced in
      my heart that i have somebody whose teachings are truly worth
      following, to me. that's why i follow fukuoka. he wants me, imperfect
      but sincere, to follow perfect nature. it can be done, food can be
      produced, because nature knows how to do it.

      by all means, do farming in the way that suits you. be religious or
      unreligious. be whatever you want to be.... but if you want to take
      the path of fukuoka-style do-nothing mahayana natural farming, then
      you must know that, according to fukuoka-san himself, mind you, not
      according to me,you must repudiate the path of science and human
      action because these two paths are forever parallel and never cross.
      the natural path proceeds toward nature, whereas the other path leads
      away from nature progressively. the scientific path may appear to
      cooperate and harmonize with nature, but in reality it wants to cut up
      nature and replace it with fake nature. don't blame me, these are
      fukuoka-san's
      own words, if you want to refute them, you are refuting his own
      teachings. which is your right, if you choose to do so. it doesn't
      really matter, because no matter what we say or do, nature will
      eventually bury all, and pure nature will continue unabated.

      sorry if i offended but this is fukuoka farming group, not polyculture
      or permaculture group..., i want to stick up for this group, not those
      other groups. but if others in this group want to attempt to mix them
      up and cross them, then go for it. i've had my little say, i'll shut
      up for awhile and not continue to argue. i like everyone on this
      group; most of you are probably far superior to me, and your needs
      could be greater and more immediate than mine. one more thing... could
      someone please discuss something about chapter 3 of "the way of
      natural farming"? that is what i am studying now. i'd love to hear
      more of your thoughts, whatever they may be...witchessocks

      ---

    • Linda Shewan
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 11, 2007
        No, not to esoteric. Thank you. This message rings resoundingly true for me.

        I look forward to creating my future in NF and hopefully sharing some of it
        with the wonderful souls I have met and will meet on this journey.

        Bless you all, Linda