Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Indian natural farmers?

  • Sangeetha Sriram
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hi Divakar,

      Good to hear from you.

      I am personally not interested in cash cropping /
      plantations, monocrpping, etc. I am looking more at
      food crops, and that too a lot of diversity, for one's
      own consumption - also as a way of connecting back to
      nature.

      where do you live? what do you do?

      Sangeetha

      --- GRABDAB <grabdab@...> wrote:

      > Hi Sangeetha,
      >
      > Live in Chennai, farm in Coimbatore (well, used to
      > farm in Coimbatore
      > till I moved to Chennai. Dad continues to farm
      > though).
      >
      > Where do you farm? We're currently in the process of
      > shifting from
      > sugarcane to plantation crops - considering planting
      > coconuts. Be
      > glad to hear from you in this regard or of other
      > plantation crops you
      > may have experience/knowledge about - silk cotton,
      > nutmeg,etc.
      >
      > Regards
      > Divakar
      >

      > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Sangeetha
      > Sriram"
      > <sangeetha_sriram@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Friends,
      > >
      > > I, from Chennai (India), have recently joined this
      > group, and have
      > > been experimenting (and visiting experiments)on
      > natural farming for a
      > > few years now. Are there others in this group from
      > India?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Sangeetha

      "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- Harold Thurman Whitman

      http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2007
        Hi Sangeetha,

        Does this include paddy also?

        Recently I visited a village and met a farmer who can
        not meet both ends meet and he has 6 acres of paddy
        cultivation. It looks like weeding and chemical
        fertilizer is taking majority of their cost.

        But since straw is used heavily for cattles, not sure
        whether they can use it as manure as per the Fukuoka
        style.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        wrote:

        > Hi Divakar,
        >
        > Good to hear from you.
        >
        > I am personally not interested in cash cropping /
        > plantations, monocrpping, etc. I am looking more at
        > food crops, and that too a lot of diversity, for
        > one's
        > own consumption - also as a way of connecting back
        > nature.
        >
        > where do you live? what do you do?
        >
        > Sangeetha
        >

        > --- GRABDAB <grabdab@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Sangeetha,
        > >
        > > Live in Chennai, farm in Coimbatore (well, used to
        > > farm in Coimbatore
        > > till I moved to Chennai. Dad continues to farm
        > > though).
        > >
        > > Where do you farm? We're currently in the process
        > of
        > > shifting from
        > > sugarcane to plantation crops - considering
        > planting
        > > coconuts. Be
        > > glad to hear from you in this regard or of other
        > > plantation crops you
        > > may have experience/knowledge about - silk cotton,
        > > nutmeg,etc.
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Divakar
        > >

        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Sangeetha
        > > Sriram"
        > > <sangeetha_sriram@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Friends,
        > > >
        > > > I, from Chennai (India), have recently joined
        > this
        > > group, and have
        > > > been experimenting (and visiting experiments)on
        > > natural farming for a
        > > > few years now. Are there others in this group
        > from
        > > India?
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > Sangeetha

        > "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask
        > yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do
        > it. Because what the world needs is people who have
        > come alive." -- Harold Thurman Whitman

        > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in
        > alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green
        > Center.
        > http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

        Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222