Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: growing into NF

  • Jamie Nicol
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
      Dear Linda, your humility speaks far more eloquently than my many words.
      Such openness is just what I understand NF to be and I doubt I have yet
      achieved such openness of spirit.

      I'm sorry if you felt 'condemned' by anything I have written, such was
      certainly not my intention. My wish has been simply to be clear that
      'official' PC is not NF, although I know many PCers who could easily be
      described as NFers. And also know at the same time that such differentiation
      is the very problem itself.

      Here are some of my thoughts on 'do-nothing' (wei wu-wei, the action of
      no-action):

      How can we do without doing? This is a paradox, seemingly without
      resolution. What I'd like to suggest is that ' do-nothing' can only occur
      when we no longer are we (opposed to it or they) but that we become one with
      it or they.

      I would call this non-dual action. This opposes the dualism of Descartes for
      example (I think therefore I am), which is a touchstone of western
      understanding. The suggestion is that in non-dual action there is no
      difference between the agent, the self that does the action, and the
      objective action that is done.

      'Do-nothing' occurs when there is no 'I' to do, but just the world (earth)
      acting. If the grass and the trees are god (as Fukuoka expressed), then so
      are you and me. If we are all god then we are not you and me but it, that
      which is. When we act with this understanding this acting is not acting (as
      agents or subjects) at all. We are no longer 'things' and neither is the
      world an array of things upon which we can act.

      The poetry of Gary Snyder expresses this far better than I can.

      In the Bhagavadgita such an understanding is clearly explained: He who in
      action sees inaction and action in inaction - he is wise amongst
      men...'Having abondoned attachment to the fruit of works, ever content,
      without any kind of dependence, he does nothing though he is ever engaged in
      work (IV, 18, 20) (32)

      And, of course, within Daoism and Zen (Ch'an) there are numerous such
      mentions of this understanding of 'do-nothing'.

      If we move further West again, to Europe, such an understanding of non-dual
      action is also expressed by Meister Eckhart: the soul must open itself to
      receive God's gift. This opening can only occur when our self-love (ego
      self) is let go. So that we are no longer subject but belong as one because
      we let go our self-will and attachment to our own desires. It is in this
      opening openness that humans can attain to their greatest beauty...

      Eckhart writes: God's ground is my ground and my ground is God's ground.
      Here I live on my own as God lives on His own...you should work all works
      out of this ground without why. Indeed, I say, so long as you work for the
      kingdom of heaven, or for God, or for your internal happiness and thus for
      something outward, all is not well with you." (Q.180, 5-13/Bl.,126-7)

      What I hope I'm suggesting is that NF is not NF at all. It is Zen, Dao,
      Buddhism, Advaita Vedanta, Christian Mysticism of the Rhenish School,
      American Indian inspired poetry...it is anything you want to call it as long
      as this calling recognises the need for the releasement from the dictates of
      our ego-selves into an action that does not depend on any dualism at all -
      even if you believe yourself working for God (or for NF or Fukuoka for that
      matter)!

      I am not a Fukuokan nor am I an NFer, I do not believe in God nor the Dao. I
      am a writer who does not believe in words, a thinker who does not believe in
      philosophy, a religious person who does not believe in religion, a farmer
      who does not believe in farming.

      This thread is called ' Growing into NF'. Well, I hope that everyone in this
      world would grow in to NF, but I also hope that no one will lodge there but
      continue to move on with the ever changing flux, because, as was made plain
      more than 2500 years ago:

      "1. The Reason that can be reasoned is not the eternal Reason. The name that
      can be named is not the eternal Name. The Unnamable is of heaven and earth
      the beginning. The Namable becomes of the ten thousand things the mother.

      Therefore it is said:

      2. "He who desireless is found
      The spiritual of the world will sound.
      But he who by desire is bound
      Sees the mere shell of things around."

      3. These two things are the same in source but different in name. Their
      sameness is called a mystery. Indeed, it is the mystery of mysteries. Of all
      spirituality it is the door.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous

      On 7/4/07, Linda Shewan < linda_shewan@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > green beauty of my homeland, New Zealand, that my heart simply couldn't
      > resonate with what I perceived as the harsh, dry, barren landscape of
      > Australia.
      >
      > About 6 months ago I sat in my garden, staring at the eucalyptus which
      > precludes growing anything for metres around it. I loved the eucalypt,
      > both
      > for it's beauty and for the Koala it supports from time to time, but was
      > frustrated by the lack of 'useful' space in my assigned vegetable growing
      > area!
      >
      > Then in a flash it felt like my heart captured the essence of that snow
      > gum
      > - how to describe the overwhelming love and acceptance that came with
      > that.
      > From that moment on the landscape was transformed. It is almost painful,
      > that beautiful heart pain that love brings - I feel as well as see the
      > extreme beauty of the natural world. Trees do seem to have the most
      > intense
      > affect but really almost everything in 'nature' (I am still struggling
      > with
      > the bull ants and poisonous snakes and spiders that abound in this land...
      > not with their beauty, simply their bite, which REALLY hurts!)
      >
      > Regarding this thread - what I did not understand was why I was condemned
      > for the process I was taking as being an anathema to NF when in fact I was
      > simply attempting to start on the journey in the way that felt right for
      > me.
      > I must confess it still does. I consider the journey my soul is taking to
      > be
      > in harmony with the process I am using to take the landscape to one where
      > can achieve a similar style of 'do nothing' farming that Fukuoka-san
      > discussed. I do believe we need to 'act', have a process to get there...
      > and
      > I may well be wrong in that assumption but I believe that following this
      > path I will attain both my inner and outer goals in due time - when I am
      > ready I guess.
      >
      > I will be reading and re-reading your words of wisdom in an attempt to
      > more
      > fully understand the substance behind them. My heart feels it but my
      > analytical side keeps saying be real - for example you say that
      > 'Do-nothing'
      > is about ceasing our goal-driven, instrumentalist actions. But everytime
      > we
      > seedball or clear some land to plant a fruit tree or vegetables - we have
      > goal. To say cease goal-driven actions means that none of these things
      > would
      > happen... It is that conflict that I am struggling with! Perhaps it is my
      > perception of conflict that is the real problem here.
      >
      > Thank you for the discussion. I fully acknowledge I have a long path ahead
      > of me and truly feel blessed to have found so many wise souls to support

    • chris opler
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2007
        Dear Friends, Thank you for your words. I feel strongly that we are not working against each other, but truly as one. As we each push to clarify, we are coming closer together. Each has her own path to follow. Yet our paths cross and intertwine and we become lighter, and higher. As you say, Jamie, NF is really an expression of a different perspective, one in which the dualism between the I and the world is collapsed into a single One -- God, the world. I would suggest that this dualism is what permits the system to keep rising. Black/white, woman/man, third-world/first-world, ... . These dualities are both in spirit and in form. The oppression of the other is the condition of the profit of the I. If we live as one world, as one with our fellow beings, then we can no longer
        accept to 'profit' from the exploitation, because the other does not
        exist, she and I are all part of the same One.

        One Love, One Heart, One People,

        Chris

        Envoyé le : Mercredi, 4 Juillet 2007, 7h45mn 27s
        Objet : RE: [fukuoka_farming] Re: growing into NF

[...]

        From that moment on the landscape was transformed. It is almost painful,

        that beautiful heart pain that love brings - I feel as well as see the

        extreme beauty of the natural world. Trees do seem to have the most intense

        affect but really almost everything in 'nature' (I am still struggling with

        the bull ants and poisonous snakes and spiders that abound in this land...

        not with their beauty, simply their bite, which REALLY hurts!)

        Regarding this thread - what I did not understand was why I was condemned

        for the process I was taking as being an anathema to NF when in fact I was

        simply attempting to start on the journey in the way that felt right for me.

        I must confess it still does. I consider the journey my soul is taking to be

        in harmony with the process I am using to take the landscape to one where I

        can achieve a similar style of 'do nothing' farming that Fukuoka-san

        discussed. I do believe we need to 'act', have a process to get there... and

        I may well be wrong in that assumption but I believe that following this

        path I will attain both my inner and outer goals in due time - when I am

        ready I guess.

        I will be reading and re-reading your words of wisdom in an attempt to more

        fully understand the substance behind them. My heart feels it but my

        analytical side keeps saying be real - for example you say that 'Do-nothing'

        is about ceasing our goal-driven, instrumentalist actions. But everytime we

        seedball or clear some land to plant a fruit tree or vegetables - we have a

        goal. To say cease goal-driven actions means that none of these things would

        happen... It is that conflict that I am struggling with! Perhaps it is my

        perception of conflict that is the real problem here.

        Thank you for the discussion. I fully acknowledge I have a long path ahead

        of me and truly feel blessed to have found so many wise souls to support me

        on my journey.

        In peace, Linda

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}