Re: [fukuoka_farming] Former farm ground produces food when man leaves it alone

  • Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2007
      Jake, you provide a key insight into mankind's lack of culinary imagination. For example, the famous Donner Party from U.S. history is an excellent example: stuck on a mountain in the dead of winter, they resorted to cannibalism, despite the fact that the Natives had shown them that pine needles and other things could be prepared and eaten. Physics is the same for all plants: life must store energy to survive, so all plants contain energy, and their edibility depends on toxicity and digestibility (when you are starving the taste part becomes less important). And suffice it so say that most plants are not deadly, and the human lifeform is adapted perfectly for processing plant food. Here is an excellent site that rates some plants for edibility on a 1-5 scale:
      Plants For A Future - 7000 useful plants

      A superb book on the subject is "Weeds: Guardians Of The Soil," which is available in its entirety here:

      http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/weeds/WeedsToC.html

      I've found the recent discussions interesting as well, though a little religious for my atheist brain ;) - though I certainly appreciate nature as my poetry reveals!

      Veganmaster

      Poems by Thomas Goss:
      http://www.pathetic.org/library.php?i_memberid=5697

    • Alex Woods
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2007
        Thomas, could you repost the "Plants for a Future" link? I don't
        think it came through.

        Also thanks for pointing out the weeds book. Looks fascinating. I am
        a big Journey to Forever fan but I've never seen that one.

        Best,

        Alex