Re: [fukuoka_farming] Cement Mixer for Mass Production of Seedballs

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2007
      William,

      Love to work with you, but I´m not exactly in your neighbourhood.
      What was wrong with the cement mixer? Did you manage to
      remove the internal paddles? I suppose one would have to find
      a way of smothing the interior surface to a high polish so that the
      seeds and the clay don´t get stuck at the rougedness of the walls.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:
      It was called "The Bockmire Drum" They sold for about $300.00
      I have a video Made by Jim Bones and John Jevons, that showes
      The drum in action. Anyone could learn enough from the video
      to duplicate it or see what is needed to make seed balls.
      The cement mixer did not work for me. Is there anyone within
      an inch or so of Ukiah California who would work with me?
      I am like/about 85% blind. I have built some machinery.
      William Stocker stoc85@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
        Dear Fukuokasfinger, I agree that without many hands available making
        seedballs can be tiresome. For a course in Italy I found an old plastic
        barrel and tried to fashion a seedballing device from this. Simply out, I
        just tried to find a way to make it spin around its central axis.

        Here's a brief explanation I posted to another group the other day: Here is
        a simple technique that I've used to make many seedballs when working with
        one or two people. Find a large plastic barrel which curves inward near the
        opening and pass a threaded rod (10mm diameter) through its base to make a
        spindle. Then fix washers and nuts to fix the barrel on the spindle while
        still allowing it to turn. Thread crossed pieces of wood onto the spindle
        and down into the barrel and secure to the barrel close to the base (the
        barrel is now supported on the spindle by the hole in the base of the barrel
        and the sides of the barrel). Find a post to which to secure the threaded
        rod that extends out of the base of the barrel, which will support the
        barrel at an angle the allows the seedballs you make inside to rest in the
        centre and not fall to the back or fall out the front. To get some grip on
        the barrel to spin it I found it useful to coil some rope around the
        outside. Once the barrel is secured and can be spun on the axis of the
        spindle add some seeds, lightly spray with water and then, turning the
        barrel, add the powdered clay. Keep the barrel turning, all the while
        lightly wetting the growing seedballs and then adding more clay. Very soon
        the seeds will be well coated with clay. When they are ready they will again
        be without cracks and the surface will be shiny (about 10 minutes). This way
        it will only take a day for enough seeds for several acres to be made.

        This is far simpler than words can express. If the above explanation is just
        gobbledegook then just play around with the materials and you'll be able to
        come up with your own design.

        Good Luck

        Jamie
        Souscayrous