Re: [fukuoka_farming] Cement Mixer for Mass Production of Seedballs

  • William Stocker
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 1941
      It was called "The Bockmire Drum" They sold for about $300.00
      I have a video Made by Jim Bones and John Jevons, that showes
      The drum in action. Anyone could learn enough from the video
      to duplicate it or see what is needed to make seed balls.
      The cement mixer did not work for me. Is there anyone within
      an inch or so of Ukiah California who would work with me?
      I am like/about 85% blind. I have built some machinery.
      William Stocker stoc85@...
      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 1941
        I think that the site that you're talking about was

        http://www.seedballs.com/9seedpa.html

        it doesn't work any more but i saved a copy of the
        original drawings and i am gonna post it in the file
        section for the benefit of the human race ;-)

        --- William Stocker <stoc85@...> wrote:

        > It was called "The Bockmire Drum" They sold for
        > about $300.00
        > I have a video Made by Jim Bones and John Jevons,
        > that showes
        > The drum in action. Anyone could learn enough from
        > the video
        > to duplicate it or see what is needed to make seed
        > balls.
        > There was the design of a manually operated
        > horizontal rotational drum
        > mixer at seedball.com. But the site has moved.
        > Perhaps somebody
        > knows .......................................
        >
        > Dieter Brand
        > Portugal

        Need a vacation? Get great deals
        to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
        http://travel.yahoo.com/
      • Dieter Brand
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 1941
          William,

          Love to work with you, but I´m not exactly in your neighbourhood.
          What was wrong with the cement mixer? Did you manage to
          remove the internal paddles? I suppose one would have to find
          a way of smothing the interior surface to a high polish so that the
          seeds and the clay don´t get stuck at the rougedness of the walls.

          Dieter Brand
          Portugal

          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 1941
            Dear Fukuokasfinger, I agree that without many hands available making
            seedballs can be tiresome. For a course in Italy I found an old plastic
            barrel and tried to fashion a seedballing device from this. Simply out, I
            just tried to find a way to make it spin around its central axis.

            Here's a brief explanation I posted to another group the other day: Here is
            a simple technique that I've used to make many seedballs when working with
            one or two people. Find a large plastic barrel which curves inward near the
            opening and pass a threaded rod (10mm diameter) through its base to make a
            spindle. Then fix washers and nuts to fix the barrel on the spindle while
            still allowing it to turn. Thread crossed pieces of wood onto the spindle
            and down into the barrel and secure to the barrel close to the base (the
            barrel is now supported on the spindle by the hole in the base of the barrel
            and the sides of the barrel). Find a post to which to secure the threaded
            rod that extends out of the base of the barrel, which will support the
            barrel at an angle the allows the seedballs you make inside to rest in the
            centre and not fall to the back or fall out the front. To get some grip on
            the barrel to spin it I found it useful to coil some rope around the
            outside. Once the barrel is secured and can be spun on the axis of the
            spindle add some seeds, lightly spray with water and then, turning the
            barrel, add the powdered clay. Keep the barrel turning, all the while
            lightly wetting the growing seedballs and then adding more clay. Very soon
            the seeds will be well coated with clay. When they are ready they will again
            be without cracks and the surface will be shiny (about 10 minutes). This way
            it will only take a day for enough seeds for several acres to be made.

            This is far simpler than words can express. If the above explanation is just
            gobbledegook then just play around with the materials and you'll be able to
            come up with your own design.

            Good Luck

            Jamie
            Souscayrous