Re: [fukuoka_farming] A question on pests.

  • RobinFern├índez-Medina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2002
      Thankyou Chris much appreciated. What about mealy bugs? Any idea about where they come from and how to control them? I have even used rubbing alchohol to control them when It got too much. Just physically rub branches and leaves and hope they dissapear.
      Robin

      Chris Sawyer <css@...> wrote:

      "Robin Fern´┐Żndez-Medina" wrote:

      > Hello Everyone,
      >
      > I would like to hear of how everyone combats pests on crops and other vegetables organically. I am also interested in learning more about plants guilds and any good example you can have if you worked with these. Look forward to hearing from you.
      >
      > Robin
      >
      > Malaga, Spain

      Robin,
      That answer would take a book. Generally we use beneficial insects. Let the pest be and sooner than later it will attract the necessary predator. Those that don't require either a Bt treatment or the release of the correct insects needed to combat
      the unbalanced state. Sometimes too much nitrogen will make a plant weak and prone to attack even though it looks like a really healthy plant. Trap cropping works wonders and some insects as Jap beetles can be trapped and disposed of.

      Chris
      www.jakesfarm.com
      Certified Organic

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT