Re: [fukuoka_farming] Do nothing

  • Jamie Nicol
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
      Dear michael, it's good to hear your thoughts after practicising so many
      years of 'doing nothing' and that you find that 'One-Straw' becomes more
      obvious as time passes. You mention purslane, which I forgot to mention in
      my list, but is just about my favourite veg to eat and doesn't take any
      space in the garden as, like you, it grows on the gravel track beside the
      garden and requires (thrives) no intervention from me.
      I have a video of Fukuoka speaking in India (thanks to Michiyo) where he
      insists that there be no soil disturbance at all and that NF is nothing
      other than casting seedballs. But, given enough seeds, I suspect that one
      can do without the clay entirely (and letting plants go to seed and then
      seed themselves is an excellent way of ensuring enough seed). All we need do
      is return seeds to the land left bare of plants (and thus bare of seeds) and
      the green will return.

      And yes, this also means in droughty areas! Rain doesn't fall from the sky
      but grows up from the ground.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous