Midwest Adaptation

  • lilybug9876
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30 2:53 PM
      Hi, I just found out about this type of gardening and I'm attempting it
      here in Indiana. So far I've weeded most weeds accept clover and let
      debris mulch. I've also sprinkled EMs and plan to do seed balling with
      glacial mineral clay powder.

      Are there any other types of plants or methods for this area? I know
      the original formulas are for warm weather-but I'm getting growth of
      the seeds that I planted without seedballs.

      I've got rich loamy/clay soil a bit low lime.
    • ang
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31 6:31 AM
        hi ... I too am in Indiana, and have just discovered the One Straw
        Revolution and this yahoo group and am experimenting with these
        techniques. Are you near Indianapolis? Is anyone else out there in or near
        Indiana?

        angie

        --- fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        Fukuoka Farming Fukuoka Farming
        Messages In This Digest (1 Message)

        1.
        Midwest Adaptation From: lilybug9876

        View All Topics | Create New Topic
        Message
        1.
        Midwest Adaptation Posted by:
        "lilybug9876" lilybug9876@...
        lilybug9876 Wed May 30, 2007 3:34 pm
        (PST) Hi, I just found out about this type of
        gardening and I'm attempting it
        here in Indiana. So far I've weeded most weeds accept clover and let
        debris mulch. I've also sprinkled EMs and plan to do seed balling with
        glacial mineral clay powder.

        Are there any other types of plants or methods for this area? I know
        the original formulas are for warm weather-but I'm getting growth of
        the seeds that I planted without seedballs.

        I've got rich loamy/clay soil a bit low lime.

        ---
        angela herrmann
        safariang@...

        Check out the Indy Sustainable Food Alliance
        http://www.indysustainablefoodalliance.org/
        You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
        --Mahatma Gandhi
        If we throw mother nature out the window, she comes back
        in the door with a pitchfork." --Masanobu Fukuoka

        ____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
      • Sylvain Picker
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31 11:35 PM
          had always (nearly) superb success with bare-seed broadcasting done before a
          good rain or very very early in spring. Most of the time my seeds pellets
          did not work, brobably too much clay. But bare seed broadcasting is
          immensely efficient done at the right moment and the right time, it is the
          cheapeast way of growing plants none to man and it is so easy to grow
          quantities of plants that we can do selection of best strains and obtain
          vigorous drought resistant nutritive and good tasting vegetables and fruits
          though a little bit small, but a lot more tasty and nutritious and
          medicinal.

        • JSENT
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2007
            Howdy, I'm doing a low tech market garden in the Grand Prairie (aka Central Illinois). My garden blog is www,grandprairiefood.com

            jake

          • lilybug9876
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, ang <safariang@...> wrote:

              > hi ... I too am in Indiana, and have just discovered the One Straw
              > Revolution and this yahoo group and am experimenting with these
              > techniques. Are you near Indianapolis? Is anyone else out there in
              or near
              > Indiana?
              >
              > angie
              >
              > --- fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com wrote:

              nope-ft. wayne here and though they seem close the soil is quite
              different.
            • lilybug9876
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 28, 2007
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain Picker"
                <sylvain.picker@...> wrote:

                > had always (nearly) superb success with bare-seed broadcasting done
                before a
                > good rain or very very early in spring. Most of the time my seeds
                pellets
                > did not work, brobably too much clay. But bare seed broadcasting is
                > immensely efficient done at the right moment and the right time, it
                is the
                > cheapeast way of growing plants none to man and it is so easy to grow
                > quantities of plants that we can do selection of best strains and obtain
                > vigorous drought resistant nutritive and good tasting vegetables and
                fruits
                > though a little bit small, but a lot more tasty and nutritious and
                > medicinal.

                hmm, I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it was a good thing that I didn't
                seed ball this year.