Re: [fukuoka_farming] Endo, Ecto and Edibles, our fungus friends.....

  • Tradingpost
    Message 1 of 5 , May 24, 2007
      Excellent point, mycorrhiza and all the other little guys are present
      almost everywhere. Exception: sterilized growing mediums, which are
      basically unnatural in the first place. The old maxim - feed the soil, the
      soil feeds the plants.

      paul tradingpost@...

      --Henry David Thoreau

      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2007
        Hi,

        I have an EM Bokashi bucket at our office - only gets filled once a month -
        6 weeks but it has done fantastic things in my garden in the spots where I
        have dug it in. I have no hard data to support my claims but the difference
        in growth between an EM cape gooseberry and a non-EM one was simply enormous
        - 4 times the growth with EM at least.

        Highly recommended! Particularly for offices - at home I use the chooks as
        scrap eaters, compost makers and turners instead. Some of our staff were
        hesitant when I said we were putting it in but all agree that it is great
        now. No smell, no mess - possibly helps that I do it all but still.

        Haven't done any edible mushrooms.

        Cheers, Linda

        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2007
          We use EM's and have been for 3 years, and so does an organic farmer
          friend of ours. He already had things going very well without the EM's,
          but the EM's gave him the final little boost that he needed to rid
          himself of the white fly hatches in his greenhouse. I am most
          experienced with their effect on the health of people and animals, with
          which I have been very impressed. It is the only "supplement" I give,
          besides unrefined salt, and I brew it myself very inexpensively. We
          extend out our brew over and over, so the cost is very minimal. Of
          course, they say it's "best" to not extend so much, but we are very
          satisfied with the results, so feel no need to spend more money on
          extra starter.

          We also make and sell an EM probiotic soap, and have a recipe for how
          to make it yourself on our website, if anyone is interested.

          Meg
          http://home-n-stead.com/soaps/ (soap for sale)
          http://home-n-stead.com/homestead/tipsandrecipes/ems.html (EM's for the
          homestead)