Re: [fukuoka_farming] Mr. Fukuoka's family farm

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 19 , May 17 6:58 AM
      REPLY:

      Alas, to be a stranger in one's native land is a fate
      suffered by many of the brave, innovative and free.
      There were surely signs that it would come to this.
      Interviews and reports done decades ago pictured
      family members on the Fukuoka farm using fertilizer
      and sprays, in an uncomprehending abandonment of the
      Master's teachings. Younger generations drifted away
      from Earth wisdom to modern indifference and material
      gain.

      Here in New Orleans, "Birthplace of Jazz", we
      bulldozed
      Louis Armstrong's house to make some parking lots and
      a courthouse. Yet jazz has become an international
      music, no longer centered in New Orleans. So,let us
      hope that Fukuoka's way of growing is also destined to
      be international, not merely an local outpouring of
      Shikoku Island. Perhaps this is Nature's way.
      Armstrong's is world music, Fukuoka's is world
      farming--farming for the "Future of the World."

      Robert Monie

      --- elisabeth denk <elisabethdenk@...>
      wrote:
      > Hello to you all,
      > I was shocked and saddened about the news that the
      > fukuoka farm is no
      > longer operating. Is it really true? Has anyone more
      > information
      > about that issue?
      > It would be just so sad for sensei fukuoka!
      > Reagards
      > Elisabeth

      LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
      http://launch.yahoo.com
    • burt levy
      Message 2 of 19 , May 17 8:36 AM
        --Perhaps it would be a good idea for our friend in
        Japan, to go to Shikoku and confirm this either way.
        As of now what we've been told about Mr. Fukuokas'
        farm is hearsay. Now we're all bummed out about this
        news, however we don't know if it is true or not. I
        think that it is important enough to checkout first
        hand, and get a report. As far as I'm concerned it
        should be a world heritage site, or something. I know
        that it would be asking alot to have Kyle make the
        trip out there. But I think that it would be worth the
        effort. Who knows maybe it's not true, and you could
        meet him and see his place.- Kyle Holzhueter
        <kyleholzhueter@...> wrote:
        > I was told the following: Mr. Fukuoka's family farm
        > is no longer practicing
        > natural farming. A large modern home has been built
        > and the fields are now
        > tilled. For these and other reasons, Mr. Fukuoka
        > rarely returns home and
        > prefers not to have people visit the farm. Last
        > fall he was in China and as
        > of January 2002 he was consumed with collecting seed
        > to send to Afghanistan.
        >
        > Kyle

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Rex Teague
        Message 3 of 19 , May 18 1:37 PM
          On 17 May 02, Kyle Holzhueter wrote:

          > I was told the following: Mr. Fukuoka's family farm is no longer
          > practicing natural farming. A large modern home has been built and
          > the fields are now tilled. For these and other reasons, Mr. Fukuoka
          > rarely returns home and prefers not to have people visit the farm.
          > Last fall he was in China and as of January 2002 he was consumed with
          > collecting seed to send to Afghanistan.

          Because Fukuoka was born in 1913 I have often wondered if he is
          still actively farming. Time marches on... thank you for the update.

          Did you spot my previous query ie please 'elaborate on the
          Kawaguchi/Hasimoto method eg size of beds, types of cover crops
          and vegetables, etc.'? If you are inclined?

          To answer your original question, Fukuoka's book "The Natural Way
          of Farming" gives an adequate description of his 'method of direct
          seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
          production.' Note I'm only familiar with his material that has been
          translated into english, there is much that hasn't.

          Years ago I saw a video that conveyed a reasonable snapshot of
          Fukuoka's message but I can't remember the title.

          Regards... Rex
        • Rex Teague
          Message 4 of 19 , May 18 2:36 PM
            On 18 May 02, Allan Balliett wrote:

            > Would this be the Bullfrog Films "Almost Nature Gardening"? -Allan

            Occasionally my memory serves me very well but dredging details up
            from the past is always problematic! Can't remember Allan, it would
            be a case of seeing it again. 8-/

            From the video I have a two vivid pictures: one of Fukuoka flicking
            seedballs out into his orchard; another where he is expounding the
            Taoist philosophy whilst cooking a meal in his humble cottage.

            My purpose was to alert Kyle to the video possibility.

            Cheerio... Rex
          • Allan Balliett
            Message 5 of 19 , May 18 3:28 PM

              Message 6 of 19 , May 19 8:02 AM
                REPLY:
                The film is "The Close to Nature Garden" produced in 1982 (ISBN: 1-56026-381-0) by Rodale Press and available from Bullfrog Films, P.O. Box 149, Oley, PA 19547.
                You can see the ad at http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/cng.html
                I believe this film mentions that,even back in 1982, younger farmers on or near the Fukuoka farm had adandoned Masanobu's natural methods and were spraying, tilling, and artifically fertilizing. Bullfrog has two other gardening films, one on organic farmer John Jeavons and another on Alan Chadwick, who Emilia once studied with. Fukuoka's new book (in Japanese only) has a photograph of him visiting the University of Santa Cruz farm that the college inherited from Chadwick.
                Chadwick had an interesting way of making compost from herbs. I would like to hear from Emilia how she eventually weaned herself from making compost separately (the way Chadwick did, I believe) and let the "self-fertility" of the soil take over in green manure, cover crops, and interplanting. This self-fertility is, of course, the essence of Fukuoka's natural farming. It is a tough transition for an organic gardner to make. I started making it when I saw how nicely pea leaves and stalk work as mulch and decompose back into the soil.
                Allan Balliett <igg@...> wrote: >Years ago I saw a video that conveyed a reasonable snapshot of
                >Fukuoka's message but I can't remember the title.

                Would this be the Bullfrog Films "Almost Nature Gardening"? -Allan

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Rex Teague
                Message 7 of 19 , May 19 11:51 AM
                  On 19 May 02, Robert Monie wrote:

                  > The film is "The Close to Nature Garden" produced in 1982 (ISBN:
                  > 1-56026-381-0) by Rodale Press and available from Bullfrog Films, P.O.
                  > Box 149, Oley, PA 19547.
                  ---8<---

                  Solved... it was the only one I attended of a series of videos run by
                  the local Polytech.

                  The Polytechnic's horticultural department has a strong emphasis on
                  "organic" courses: http://www.cpit.ac.nz/hort/courses.htm and the
                  local seed savers network is based on the Seven Oaks campus.

                  Cheerio... Rex
                • nomadique
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 25, 2002
                    AAaa, that's horrid news. I was recently told about him, and hence
                    found this group, and as I am in Japan I hoped to visit the farm in a
                    month or two before I leave Japan.

                    Hello to everyone here, my name is Damon. If anyone can help with
                    directions to the farm I will go and report in for everyone. Is it
                    in/near Iyo on Shikoku Island?

                    And if anyone would like to read about my experience with my Kumitori
                    (pit latrine) and how I turned it into compost please visit my site:

                    www.internetigator.org/pics/nihon/mito/1453/kumitori.html

                    cheers

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., elisabeth denk <elisabethdenk@o...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hello to you all,
                    > I was shocked and saddened about the news that the fukuoka farm is
                    no
                    > longer operating. Is it really true? Has anyone more information
                    > about that issue?
                    > It would be just so sad for sensei fukuoka!
                    > Reagards
                    > Elisabeth
                  • burt levy
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 26, 2002
                      -If you look at Jim Bones' seedballs.com website, I
                      believe at the end of the "on a green mountain"
                      interview, that it has Mr. Fukuokas' address near Iyo.
                      If not there, I know that his address is somewhere on
                      his website. Good luck. - nomadique
                      <nomadique@...> wrote:
                      > AAaa, that's horrid news. I was recently told about
                      > him, and hence
                      > found this group, and as I am in Japan I hoped to
                      > visit the farm in a
                      > month or two before I leave Japan.
                      >
                      > Hello to everyone here, my name is Damon. If anyone
                      > can help with
                      > directions to the farm I will go and report in for
                      > everyone. Is it
                      > in/near Iyo on Shikoku Island?
                      >
                      > And if anyone would like to read about my experience
                      > with my Kumitori
                      > (pit latrine) and how I turned it into compost
                      > please visit my site:

                      www.internetigator.org/pics/nihon/mito/1453/kumitori.html

                      > cheers

                      > --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., elisabeth denk
                      > <elisabethdenk@o...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > Hello to you all,
                      > > I was shocked and saddened about the news that the
                      > fukuoka farm is
                      > no
                      > > longer operating. Is it really true? Has anyone
                      > more information
                      > > about that issue?
                      > > It would be just so sad for sensei fukuoka!
                      > > Reagards
                      > > Elisabeth

                      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                    • Wendy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 27, 2002
                        Hi Burt,

                        thanks for the info. I was actually hoping to see if he had an email
                        address. I will send him a letter instead.

                        thanks again,
                        wendy
                        > -If you look at Jim Bones' seedballs.com website, I
                        > believe at the end of the "on a green mountain"
                        > interview, that it has Mr. Fukuokas' address near Iyo.
                        > If not there, I know that his address is somewhere on
                        > his website. Good luck. - nomadique
                        > <nomadique@...> wrote:
                        > > AAaa, that's horrid news. I was recently told about
                        > > him, and hence
                        > > found this group, and as I am in Japan I hoped to
                        > > visit the farm in a
                        > > month or two before I leave Japan.
                        > >
                        > > Hello to everyone here, my name is Damon. If anyone
                        > > can help with
                        > > directions to the farm I will go and report in for
                        > > everyone. Is it
                        > > in/near Iyo on Shikoku Island?
                        > >
                        > > And if anyone would like to read about my experience
                        > > with my Kumitori
                        > > (pit latrine) and how I turned it into compost
                        > > please visit my site:
                        > >

                        > www.internetigator.org/pics/nihon/mito/1453/kumitori.html
                        > >
                        > > cheers

                        > > --- In fukuoka_farming@y..., elisabeth denk
                        > > <elisabethdenk@o...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > Hello to you all,
                        > > > I was shocked and saddened about the news that the
                        > > fukuoka farm is
                        > > no
                        > > > longer operating. Is it really true? Has anyone
                        > > more information
                        > > > about that issue?
                        > > > It would be just so sad for sensei fukuoka!
                        > > > Reagards
                        > > > Elisabeth

                      • burt levy
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 28, 2002
                          -Hi Wendy, I had sent Mr. Fukuoka a letter in April. I
                          had a Japenese student translate it into Japanese. I
                          never got a response. My letter was about proposing
                          that he start his own web site. If he is traveling
                          maybe he didn't recieve it, who knows. Good luck with

                        • hyderabadee
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jun 28, 2002
                            Hello everyone!

                            I have looked around (on the internet) for Mr.Fukuoka's email/postal
                            address/FAX/Phone details. I've FAXed and written several letters
                            times to whatever numbers/addresses I got. Never got any response. I
                            emailed Rockefeller Brothers Fund for details on Mr.Fukuoka and they
                            forwarded my request to Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation
                            in the Philippines. I rxed. the following from RMAF in the
                            Philippines:

                            MR. MANASOBU FUKUOKA
                            Address: 201-2 Ohira Iyo-shi
                            Ehime Ken, Japan 799-3131

                            Tel. No. (8189) 9832617
                            Fax No. (8189) 9831892
                            Interpreter : Mr. Koji Imaizumi, Assistant of Mr. Fukuoka

                            I FAXed/sent a (few copies of the same) letter (at different dates) to
                            the above FAX number/address but have never got any response.

                            I wanted to find out if Mr.Fukuoka's farm was still open to visitors,
                            and if so what was a good time to visit the farm. I live in San Jose,
                            CA and am interested in checking out the farm which I have read about
                            in his books.

                            Please let me know if any of you have had any success in reaching
                            him/his farm lately.

                            -vasanth
                            Moderator, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalFarmingInIndia/
                          • Wendy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jun 28, 2002
                              thanks again for the info. Burt!!
                              I will try too.
                              wendy

                              Message 14 of 19 , Jun 28, 2002
                                hi [hyderabadee],

                                thanks for letting us know.

                                wendy

                                > I have looked around (on the internet) for Mr.Fukuoka's email/postal
                                > address/FAX/Phone details. I've FAXed and written several letters
                                > times to whatever numbers/addresses I got. Never got any response. I
                                > emailed Rockefeller Brothers Fund for details on Mr.Fukuoka and they
                                > forwarded my request to Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation
                                > in the Philippines. I rxed. the following from RMAF in the
                                > Philippines:
                                >
                                > MR. MANASOBU FUKUOKA
                                > Address: 201-2 Ohira Iyo-shi
                                > Ehime Ken, Japan 799-3131
                                >
                                > Tel. No. (8189) 9832617
                                > Fax No. (8189) 9831892
                                > Interpreter : Mr. Koji Imaizumi, Assistant of Mr. Fukuoka
                                >
                                > I FAXed/sent a (few copies of the same) letter (at different dates) to
                                > the above FAX number/address but have never got any response.
                                >
                                > I wanted to find out if Mr.Fukuoka's farm was still open to visitors,
                                > and if so what was a good time to visit the farm. I live in San Jose,
                                > CA and am interested in checking out the farm which I have read about
                                > in his books.
                                >
                                > Please let me know if any of you have had any success in reaching
                                > him/his farm lately.
                                >
                                > -vasanth
                                > Moderator, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalFarmingInIndia/

                              • Varanashi Krishna Moorthy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Jun 29, 2002
                                  Dear Mr Vasanth,
                                  Ref: V-82 I C

                                  Dear Sir,
                                  Greetings from Varanashis.

                                  I am happy to inform you that I will be travelling to Canada to
                                  participate at IFOAM 2002 - 14th Organic World Congress to be held at
                                  Victoria, Canada from 21 to 25, Aug. 2002. My wife and colleague
                                  Mrs.Ashwini Krishna Moorthy will accompany me. Our paper titled "Varanashi
                                  Farms towards Organic and Sustainable Agriculture" has been accepted for
                                  oral presentation in session "Organic Farming Around the World: Model
                                  Farms". It is a great occasion for us to share our experience. We are
                                  happy that our efforts have received recognition.
                                  Immediately after the Congress, we plan to make a tour of Canada and USA.
                                  Followed by Japan,Indonesia,Malaysia and Singapore.Meeting Scientists,
                                  farmers and Food and Spice marketers is main purpose of the tour. We have
                                  experience in following fields:
                                  1. Organic farming.
                                  2. Compost production (A new method known as VRF Method is developed by us).
                                  3. Water harvesting techniques.
                                  4. Bio fertilizers & Bio pesticides (Trichoderma).
                                  5. Cultivation and processing of Vanilla and Cocoa,

                                  We will be visiting California. I wonder whether You are interested to
                                  receive us If so please let us know.

                                  In addition to farming we own an industry manufacturing bio fertilizers and
                                  bio-pesticides. We also mange a small R&D
                                  unit We are looking for a long term association.
                                  Our tentative programme is as follows:
                                  Aug. 18 - Arrive at Seattle
                                  Aug. 19 to 25 - IFOAM 2002 Victoria, Canada
                                  From Aug. 26 onwards 15-20 days USA/Canada trip in the following order.
                                  Each place 2-4 days. Seattle - California (Halt at Sunnyvale) - Austin and
                                  Dallas (Texas) - Baltimore - New York - Washington - Toronto - Seattle.

                                  On our return journey to India, we plan to have stop over at Japan,
                                  Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia.
                                  Looking forward to your reaction.
                                  Thanking you,

                                  Yours sincerely,

                                  (Dr. Varanashi Krishna Moorthy)
                                  Varanashi Research Foundation
                                  Adyanadka 574 260
                                  DK Karnataka
                                  India.
                                  E.mail:
                                  vrf@...
                                  varanashi@sify,com

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
                                    -While you are in Calif. since you will be in
                                    Sunnyvale you need to go into the Santa Cruz mountains
                                    and see some old growth redwoods. There are some in
                                    Big Basin Redwoods park, and Henry Cowel Redwoods.
                                    They are only about 40 miles from Sunnyvale.-

                                  • Carol
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 2, 2002
                                      You can also take a very nice train ride through big redwoods at
                                      Roaring Camp / Big Trees. http://www.roaringcamp.com/maps.html

                                      Carol