Seeds

  • Gloria C. Baikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2007
      Did anyone of you ever order, or receive seeds from Tim Peters seed
      company? He used to be a member here and is a seed developer. He has
      given over the running of his seed company to David Woods. David is
      trying to find some of the seed they no longer have in stock.

      He is specifically looking for the brassicas, kale, cauliflower, etc,
      and some of the tomatoes like Fruity Tomato.

      The contact address is psr@... if any of you can help him
      to recover this seed stock.

      I will be off of the internet for a while. Be well.

      Gloria, Texas
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , May 21, 2007
        I have not ordered from Tim Peters,
        but I have heard of him.

        He is working with some Perrenial Grain research. Has anyone tried
        those items. I've heard reports of mixed results. Alot of that has to
        do with climate I think. I would like to get a hold of some of those
        seeds too.

        > Did anyone of you ever order, or receive seeds from Tim Peters seed
        > company? He used to be a member here and is a seed developer. He has
        > given over the running of his seed company to David Woods. David is
        > trying to find some of the seed they no longer have in stock.

      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 3 , May 22, 2007
          Hi Jeff,

          Tim Peters' seeds are ubiquitious; you find them in the Cook's Garden, FEDCO, Jeavon's Bountiful Gardens and other catalogs--everywhere. Chances are, if you see a brightly colored red, yellow, or purple carrot, or a sprightly tomato with a well-balanced tang and graceful shape, Tim's craft lies behind it. He worked on his veggies for a quarter century before he sold much directly to the public under his own name.

          His work with perennial wheat and rye was remarkable in that he was just about the only source that the average gardener had for these seeds.

          In my experience, any variety that Tim has produced is very good to excellent within its own category. Perennial grains, including those crafted at the behest of the Land Institute and research universities, are dicey and unpredictable at best. Tim's were no exception. but held thier own. Perennial vegetables are another matter; they can be absolutely first-rate, as the artichoke and asparagus offerings currently available from Peters Seeds are. See http://www.psrseed.com

          A recent contribution to the literature on perennial vegetables is Eric Toensmeier's
          Perennial Vegetables: From Artichokes to Zuiki Taro: A Gardener's Guide to Over 100 Delicious and Easy to Grow Vegetables.

          For a tribute to Tim Peters look on google.com for "FEDCO tribute to plant breeder Tim Peters." They also pay homage on related sites to Frank Morton and Alan Kapuler.

          Bob Monie
          New Orleans, LA