Re: [fukuoka_farming] Do nothing

  • Dieter Brand
    Message 1 of 11 , May 14 1:14 PM
      Jamie,

      You live in a very favourable climate. Where I live there are no edible annuals
      that will reseed without irrigation. Even with irrigation, reseeding doesn’t
      work very well, since without a selection of seeds, the variety will usually
      deteriorate, that is, supposing the seeds aren’t eaten by some animal
      before the next growing season, which is usually the case. And to waste
      precious irrigation water and time in the vague hope that something will
      come up is hardly sensible.

      Dieter Brand
      Portugal

      Jamie Nicol <souscayrous@...> wrote:
      Here are a few of the veg that reseed themselves or are natives already
      growing: asparagus, artichoke, Jerusalem artichoke, cardoon, swiss chard and
      other leaf beets, beetroot, borage (it is too dry for comfrey, but borage is
      from the same family and grows prolifically), chicory, mache (miner's
      lettuce?), lettuce (there is much cross pollination but the new varieties
      while being smaller are very tasty), coriander (cilantro), rocket, mint,
      sage, lavender, thyme, rosemary, most radishes (there are many good, long
      radishes to seed if you can't get daikon), tomato, aubergine, peppers (these
      are borderline as they require more water than the two previous), marigold
      (calendular), tagetes, it is too dry for nasturtiums, water melon (they are
      small but they do grow well), cucumber, and some other cucurbits (see what
      works for you), parsnips, celery (small but have very strong flavour) and
      then there are the cereal crops like winter and summer wheat and barley,
      millet, amaranth and in good years maize.

      These are only a few, please add to the list if you can. I'll try and make a
      more detailed list when I'm in the garden next time.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous

      On 5/13/07, John Warner <daddyoat@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > to little avail. But Lo! In a couple of weeks lady bird beetle larvae, and
      > later of course adults, began to appear.and eventually got thick enough to
      > clean up most of the plants. But by that time the beans had been critically
      > set back and a good part of the crop was lost.
      >
      > So I've woven a little theory on this. During the heat wave it got so hot
      > and dry that the lady bird beetle population took a big hit. [I recall my
      > old entomology professor asking rhetorically "what's the most common disease
      > of insects?". Answer: "lack of water". Well, the heat wave might have set
      > back all the insect life but, as we know, plant eaters, and aphids in
      > particular, are real champs at reproduction. In fact, in the early stages of
      > the aphid population cycle, they don't even have to bother with having sex.
      > Only females hatch who reproduce parthogenically [that is, they clone
      > themselves]. This resulted in an explosion the beetles couldn't keep up
      > with.
      >
      > The above, although it resulted in a loss [still, some beans got
      > harvested] it illustrates the do-nothing principles I'm talking about.
      >
      > We're looking at nature's self-organizing principle at work. For this to
      > work there needs to be a lot of complexity Next week, the Agricultural
      > Inspector will be coming for her annual visit to see if we are actually
      > growing all the things we sell at the farmers market. On the forms required,
      > I listed nearly 200 species--lumping, for the most part, varieties and
      > colors together. This does not include the plants we don't sell but have set
      > out and about for esthetic reasons and also as habitat for beneficials. Lots
      > of shrubs here--brooms, acacias, privet and the champ of fast growth:
      > butterfly bush. We have perhaps 30 oaks. [Jamie, a couple of these came from
      > acorns you sent from France--thanks again.]. Mostly we have holly and cork
      > oaks.
      >
      > I now have 2 sons that support themselves completely from their work on
      > our little farm. I hold this up in support of the efficacy of our theory and
      > our practice. One harvests and sells at the markets while the other works
      > with me on production. How do they find their places, their niches, in the
      > work on the farm? In the same way skunks find chicken pens and hollow
      > logs--that is by the principles of self-organization. Or perhaps you could
      > think of it as do-nothing management on my part.
      >
      > Sorry about a rather poor job of editing this. There's lots to do outside.
      > But please visit our website for more about our work and read, if you're
      > inclined, Dr. Lewis' important paper. Dr. Lewis and Mr. Fukukoka may not
      > know of each other but if they met I suspect they'd find some common ground.
      >
      > Good wishes all,
      >
      > John Warner, Madera Whole Systems Agriculture near Fresno, California
      > No-tractor, no tillage, permanent mulch market growers since 1996

    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18 2:46 PM
        HI Dieter,

        The olla or ancient clay pot system of watering can still work well in many locations and gardens. A ceramicist in Australia has designed an "upscale" version of these that I have seen used in the Orinda/Berkeley area of California, but much cheaper and probably equally effective models can be built. See http://www.wateringsystems.net

        Some modern engineers have been especially attracted to the hows and whys of ancient watering systems. One notable engineer is Kenneth R. Wright; among his many investigations of ancient water-sparing irrigation systems are the following:

        Water for the Anasazi: How the Ancients of Mesa Verde Engineered Public Works

        Burried Clay Pot Irrigation

        Water Masters of Mesa Verde

        Tipon: Water Engineering Masterpieces of the Inca Empire

        Machu Picchu: A Civil Engineering Marvel

        Bob Monie
        New Orleans, LA

        Message 3 of 11 , May 19 2:56 PM
          Bob,

          Thanks for the clay pot idea. Hadn’t heard of that one before. It may,
          however, be a little difficult to get porous clay pots releasing just the
          right amount of water.

          I live in a semi-arid zone - not a drop of rain from May through September with
          temperatures of up to 40 deg C in the July/August period. Therefore, water
          is the limiting factor in everything I do. In the last few years I have been able
          to reduce irrigation by about 80% mainly by converting to no-till and adding
          compost and mulch to the top. I also chucked out all that fancy irrigation
          equipment including sprinklers, mini-sprinklers, drip systems, etc. Now
          I’m only using an open watering hose modulating the water jet with my
          thumb into a film softly landing on the heavily mulched soil. Perhaps old
          man Fukuoka was right after all when he admonished us to "think about
          what you can do less".

          Dieter Brand
          Portugal

          Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:
[...]

          Recent Activity

          4
          New Members

          Visit Your Group
          What's your issue?
          Film it. Change the world.

          Yahoo! TV
          See bios & photos
          Get to know The
          Apprentice teams.

          Y! GeoCities
          Be Vocal
          Publish your opi-
          nions with a blog.

          Sell Online
          Yahoo! makes it
          easy to start
          selling online.

          .

        • Gloria C. Baikauskas
          Message 4 of 11 , May 19 10:55 PM
            Dieter, Have you read Albrecht's, The Myth of Drought? It can be
            read at http://www.soilandhealth.org

            The more organic material you have in and on the soil the more
            moisture the soil will hold.
            Gloria, Texas

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , May 19 11:21 PM
              Gloria,

              Thanks for the Soil and Health Library Link. There seem to be
              a lot of interesting titles. I will download the Albrecht as soon
              as I can get to a place with a faster Internet access.

              I absolutely agree about the importance of soil organic matter,
              especially if you combine it with a no-till system so as to keep
              the organic web intact.

              Dieter Brand
              Portugal

              "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
              Dieter, Have you read Albrecht's, The Myth of Drought? It can be
              read at http://www.soilandhealth.org

              The more organic material you have in and on the soil the more
              moisture the soil will hold.
              Gloria, Texas

              Recent Activity

              6
              New Members

              Visit Your Group

              Organic gardening
              Organic vegetable gardening
              Organic vegetable seeds
              Organic gardening supply
              Organic farming

              Yahoo! TV
              You're fired
              A new season of The
              Apprentice begins.

              Share Ideas
              Publish your own
              blog with Yahoo
              Web Hosting.

              Y! GeoCities
              Share Photos
              Put your favorite
              photos online.

              .

            • michael
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                Same here. We eat more and more the things which have self seeded
                around from our original plantings of years/decades ago, mostly Asian
                and European species of origin, not the hybrids of millennia, and
                also many so-called weed plants. The daikon have reverted to their
                wild form and need only thinning, by eating green of course. Some go
                to seed and the young seed pods are eaten. The arugula is all over
                the place, as is the shungiku and wild broccoli. I can't keep them or
                the purslane out of the gravel driveway; not that i want to. Things
                have spread to the orchard and for some reason the European alien
                (sorry EU, that what the books call them) grasses are in decline as
                the edible things increase. Who knows where this will all go but
                after 25 years, OSR is looking more obvious. It takes a long time to
                figure out how to do nothing.

                On May 14, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Jamie Nicol wrote:

                > So I now try not to dig beds at all, seed but not transplant, seed
                > everything I can get my hands on, especially those that will reseed
                > themselves annually, irrigate only when forced to by drought, leave
                > no earth
                > bare (both above ground and below), harvest a fraction of the plants
                > growing, never weed by pulling (just cut the volunteer at the
                > moment it
                > flowers), return volunteer or unused crop to beds, use anything
                > growing
                > nearby as mulch for the beds, always leave volunteer leguminous plants
                > (nitrogen fixing), leave some native leguminous trees or fruit
                > trees or
                > shrubs (trees are the prerequisite for a mediterranean natural
                > agriculture)...
                >
                > do-nothing seems to me to be about giving up any control and
                > beginning to
                > play with nature. Not caring what grows (for if there are enough
                > seeds,
                > irrespective of the weather, the soil will be covered by growth), just
                > casting seeds and watching what happens.

              • Jamie Nicol
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
                  Dear michael, it's good to hear your thoughts after practicising so many
                  years of 'doing nothing' and that you find that 'One-Straw' becomes more
                  obvious as time passes. You mention purslane, which I forgot to mention in
                  my list, but is just about my favourite veg to eat and doesn't take any
                  space in the garden as, like you, it grows on the gravel track beside the
                  garden and requires (thrives) no intervention from me.
                  I have a video of Fukuoka speaking in India (thanks to Michiyo) where he
                  insists that there be no soil disturbance at all and that NF is nothing
                  other than casting seedballs. But, given enough seeds, I suspect that one
                  can do without the clay entirely (and letting plants go to seed and then
                  seed themselves is an excellent way of ensuring enough seed). All we need do
                  is return seeds to the land left bare of plants (and thus bare of seeds) and
                  the green will return.

                  And yes, this also means in droughty areas! Rain doesn't fall from the sky
                  but grows up from the ground.

                  Jamie
                  Souscayrous