Re: Chemical fertilizers for farming in Africa

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 29 , May 13, 2007
      One of the ideas I've run across that is truely inspiring for the
      tropics is terra preata.

      It is a system of soil improvement by the ancients in the Amazon Rain
      forest basin. Tracts of 200 acres have been found. Amazingly after 500
      years of cultivation they retain significant fertility.

      The primary ingredient in terra preata is bio-char (low to mid
      temperature charcoal). It sorbs nutrients very tightly and prevents
      leaching. The bio-char also has ideal water holding capacity.

      The terra preata soils have up to 30% charcoal.

      There are several sites on the internet available with technical
      information.

      Does anyone from the group have experience with this??