Do nothing

  • John Warner
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2007
      Hello Jamie and Fukuoka List Members,

      Thanks, Jamie for the very significant question--a question to which I'm very pleased to respond.

      First, I might say that "do nothing" is an overstatement. Overstatement is deeply rooted in Eastern philosophy as seen particularly in the Tao Te Ching with respect to leadership, the emphasis of non-action over taking action and not meddling with the natural flow of things. It was Dante, perhaps, that gave Christianity the Mortal Sins [the first being pride], for a Sufi the greatest sin may be to forget God but a philosophical Taoist might make a good case for saying that the worst human being of all is a "cunning meddler". Taoism, as I understand it, had a very strong influence on some of the branches of Buddhism that reached Japan and I suspect that this is background to Mr. Fukuoka's philosophy. Overstatement is a literary technique and one I'm personally inclined to use myself--after all what good would writing be that, however technically correct, was uninspiring?

      It's in modern systems theory [and the disciplines sometimes referred to as the "new sciences"] where the scientist meets the Taoist philosopher and says "hello". This is reflected in books such as "The Tao of Physics" and "The Dancing Wu Lu Masters" and a number of others that have been published over the past 50 years of so. A book that particularly influenced me was Fritjof Capra's "The Turning Point" published in the 80s.

      Whole Systems Agriculture is a reflection of this union. Please visit our website where reference is made to this particularly, as I recall, in the section on species complexity. Also on the website is a paper by Dr. Joe Lewis and others, titled "A Total Systems Approach to Sustainable Pest Management" which gives a lot of theoretical information on how, with sufficient complexity, pest management can take care of itself--at least to a large extent. Examples from our farm follow.

      Last year we had record breaking heat--three days of 113F and a number of others well over 100F. Shortly afterward aphids hit all our beans like a whammy. We were experimenting with a number of old varieties like "Christmas Lima", "Willow-Leaf Lima", and some from Native Seed Search with long names I can't recall at the moment. But they all got it--absolutely dripping with honeydew. The infestation was so bad I had to compromise with my philosophy of non-intervention and I sprayed a solution of dish detergent.but it was to little avail. But Lo! In a couple of weeks lady bird beetle larvae, and later of course adults, began to appear.and eventually got thick enough to clean up most of the plants. But by that time the beans had been critically set back and a good part of the crop was lost.

      So I've woven a little theory on this. During the heat wave it got so hot and dry that the lady bird beetle population took a big hit. [I recall my old entomology professor asking rhetorically "what's the most common disease of insects?". Answer: "lack of water". Well, the heat wave might have set back all the insect life but, as we know, plant eaters, and aphids in particular, are real champs at reproduction. In fact, in the early stages of the aphid population cycle, they don't even have to bother with having sex. Only females hatch who reproduce parthogenically [that is, they clone themselves]. This resulted in an explosion the beetles couldn't keep up with.

      The above, although it resulted in a loss [still, some beans got harvested] it illustrates the do-nothing principles I'm talking about.

      We're looking at nature's self-organizing principle at work. For this to work there needs to be a lot of complexity Next week, the Agricultural Inspector will be coming for her annual visit to see if we are actually growing all the things we sell at the farmers market. On the forms required, I listed nearly 200 species--lumping, for the most part, varieties and colors together. This does not include the plants we don't sell but have set out and about for esthetic reasons and also as habitat for beneficials. Lots of shrubs here--brooms, acacias, privet and the champ of fast growth: butterfly bush. We have perhaps 30 oaks. [Jamie, a couple of these came from acorns you sent from France--thanks again.]. Mostly we have holly and cork oaks.

      I now have 2 sons that support themselves completely from their work on our little farm. I hold this up in support of the efficacy of our theory and our practice. One harvests and sells at the markets while the other works with me on production. How do they find their places, their niches, in the work on the farm? In the same way skunks find chicken pens and hollow logs--that is by the principles of self-organization. Or perhaps you could think of it as do-nothing management on my part.

      Sorry about a rather poor job of editing this. There's lots to do outside. But please visit our website for more about our work and read, if you're inclined, Dr. Lewis' important paper. Dr. Lewis and Mr. Fukukoka may not know of each other but if they met I suspect they'd find some common ground.

      Good wishes all,

      John Warner, Madera Whole Systems Agriculture near Fresno, California
      No-tractor, no tillage, permanent mulch market growers since 1996
      http://www.wholesystemsag.org

    • buttahfly@xprs.net
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2007
        HI,
        If anyone knows how can you take me off the group mailings. My former
        partner signed up for this and while I agree it's all wonderful I'm not be
        farming.
        Thanks so much
        love, Tally

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13, 2007
          Thank you for the wonderful post John!!

          I was wondering if you could publish to the forum all 200 species you
          have at your place. Especially annual vs perrenial and also include
          notes about any self-seeding varieties.

          This would be an incredible resource for those seeking to get into
          this type of gardening/farming.
        • Jamie Nicol
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2007
            Dear John, good to see you back here again!

            There's much I could respond to in your email, so many significant
            directions from someone who obviously cares deeply about anything and
            everything. But as this is Fukuoka_Farming it is probably better to stick to
            the practice.

            But how can there be 'practice' in do-nothing?

            But then again I believe we both have raised beds, seed and transplant
            annually and seasonally, irrigate, weed, and I'm sure 10,000 other things
            too! Practice, practice, practice...

            What is do-nothing then?

            When I concentrate on my breath I find that I can control it, perhaps if I
            worked at it I could control it for long periods. But, then, these periods
            are only the tiniest fraction of my life and by far the greatest control
            over my breath takes place without me even being aware of it. It seems to me
            that NF is like breathing, we can spend much time on the practice of
            farming, but nature far outweighs anything we can do. do-nothing for me is
            the recognition that my attempts at control will never yield the harvests I
            intend and that, therefore, I must relinquish control to nature.

            So I now try not to dig beds at all, seed but not transplant, seed
            everything I can get my hands on, especially those that will reseed
            themselves annually, irrigate only when forced to by drought, leave no earth
            bare (both above ground and below), harvest a fraction of the plants
            growing, never weed by pulling (just cut the volunteer at the moment it
            flowers), return volunteer or unused crop to beds, use anything growing
            nearby as mulch for the beds, always leave volunteer leguminous plants
            (nitrogen fixing), leave some native leguminous trees or fruit trees or
            shrubs (trees are the prerequisite for a mediterranean natural
            agriculture)...

            do-nothing seems to me to be about giving up any control and beginning to
            play with nature. Not caring what grows (for if there are enough seeds,
            irrespective of the weather, the soil will be covered by growth), just
            casting seeds and watching what happens.

            Is this a business? No.
            Can it become a business? Yes - there really are enough edible (and
            marketable) veg for a mediterranean climate (rain in spring and autumn -
            600mm/year). The limiting factor right now is the time it takes to clear the
            land for seeding.

            But, then, we already knew all of this because it is just what Fukuoka has
            already done.

            Here are a few of the veg that reseed themselves or are natives already
            growing: asparagus, artichoke, Jerusalem artichoke, cardoon, swiss chard and
            other leaf beets, beetroot, borage (it is too dry for comfrey, but borage is
            from the same family and grows prolifically), chicory, mache (miner's
            lettuce?), lettuce (there is much cross pollination but the new varieties
            while being smaller are very tasty), coriander (cilantro), rocket, mint,
            sage, lavender, thyme, rosemary, most radishes (there are many good, long
            radishes to seed if you can't get daikon), tomato, aubergine, peppers (these
            are borderline as they require more water than the two previous), marigold
            (calendular), tagetes, it is too dry for nasturtiums, water melon (they are
            small but they do grow well), cucumber, and some other cucurbits (see what
            works for you), parsnips, celery (small but have very strong flavour) and
            then there are the cereal crops like winter and summer wheat and barley,
            millet, amaranth and in good years maize.

            These are only a few, please add to the list if you can. I'll try and make a
            more detailed list when I'm in the garden next time.

            Jamie
            Souscayrous

            On 5/13/07, John Warner <daddyoat@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > our practice. One harvests and sells at the markets while the other works
            > with me on production. How do they find their places, their niches, in the
            > work on the farm? In the same way skunks find chicken pens and hollow
            > logs--that is by the principles of self-organization. Or perhaps you could
            > think of it as do-nothing management on my part.
            >
            > Sorry about a rather poor job of editing this. There's lots to do outside.
            > But please visit our website for more about our work and read, if you're
            > inclined, Dr. Lewis' important paper. Dr. Lewis and Mr. Fukukoka may not
            > know of each other but if they met I suspect they'd find some common ground.
            >
            > Good wishes all,
            >
            > John Warner, Madera Whole Systems Agriculture near Fresno, California
            > No-tractor, no tillage, permanent mulch market growers since 1996

          • Dieter Brand
            Message 5 of 11 , May 14, 2007
              Jamie,

              You live in a very favourable climate. Where I live there are no edible annuals
              that will reseed without irrigation. Even with irrigation, reseeding doesn’t
              work very well, since without a selection of seeds, the variety will usually
              deteriorate, that is, supposing the seeds aren’t eaten by some animal
              before the next growing season, which is usually the case. And to waste
              precious irrigation water and time in the vague hope that something will
              come up is hardly sensible.

              Dieter Brand
              Portugal

            • Robert Monie
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2007
                HI Dieter,

                The olla or ancient clay pot system of watering can still work well in many locations and gardens. A ceramicist in Australia has designed an "upscale" version of these that I have seen used in the Orinda/Berkeley area of California, but much cheaper and probably equally effective models can be built. See http://www.wateringsystems.net

                Some modern engineers have been especially attracted to the hows and whys of ancient watering systems. One notable engineer is Kenneth R. Wright; among his many investigations of ancient water-sparing irrigation systems are the following:

                Water for the Anasazi: How the Ancients of Mesa Verde Engineered Public Works

                Burried Clay Pot Irrigation

                Water Masters of Mesa Verde

                Tipon: Water Engineering Masterpieces of the Inca Empire

                Machu Picchu: A Civil Engineering Marvel

                Bob Monie
                New Orleans, LA

                Message 7 of 11 , May 19, 2007
                  Bob,

                  Thanks for the clay pot idea. Hadn’t heard of that one before. It may,
                  however, be a little difficult to get porous clay pots releasing just the
                  right amount of water.

                  I live in a semi-arid zone - not a drop of rain from May through September with
                  temperatures of up to 40 deg C in the July/August period. Therefore, water
                  is the limiting factor in everything I do. In the last few years I have been able
                  to reduce irrigation by about 80% mainly by converting to no-till and adding
                  compost and mulch to the top. I also chucked out all that fancy irrigation
                  equipment including sprinklers, mini-sprinklers, drip systems, etc. Now
                  I’m only using an open watering hose modulating the water jet with my
                  thumb into a film softly landing on the heavily mulched soil. Perhaps old
                  man Fukuoka was right after all when he admonished us to "think about
                  what you can do less".

                  Dieter Brand
                  Portugal

                  Robert Monie <bobm20001@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Recent Activity

                  4
                  New Members

                  Visit Your Group
                  What's your issue?
                  Film it. Change the world.

                  Yahoo! TV
                  See bios & photos
                  Get to know The
                  Apprentice teams.

                  Y! GeoCities
                  Be Vocal
                  Publish your opi-
                  nions with a blog.

                  Sell Online
                  Yahoo! makes it
                  easy to start
                  selling online.

                  .

                • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 19, 2007
                    Dieter, Have you read Albrecht's, The Myth of Drought? It can be
                    read at http://www.soilandhealth.org

                    The more organic material you have in and on the soil the more
                    moisture the soil will hold.
                    Gloria, Texas

                    --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dieter Brand <diebrand@...>

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2007
                      Gloria,

                      Thanks for the Soil and Health Library Link. There seem to be
                      a lot of interesting titles. I will download the Albrecht as soon
                      as I can get to a place with a faster Internet access.

                      I absolutely agree about the importance of soil organic matter,
                      especially if you combine it with a no-till system so as to keep
                      the organic web intact.

                      Dieter Brand
                      Portugal

                      "Gloria C. Baikauskas" <gcb49@...> wrote:
                      Dieter, Have you read Albrecht's, The Myth of Drought? It can be
                      read at http://www.soilandhealth.org

                      The more organic material you have in and on the soil the more
                      moisture the soil will hold.
                      Gloria, Texas

                      Recent Activity

                      6
                      New Members

                      Visit Your Group

                      Organic gardening
                      Organic vegetable gardening
                      Organic vegetable seeds
                      Organic gardening supply
                      Organic farming

                      Yahoo! TV
                      You're fired
                      A new season of The
                      Apprentice begins.

                      Share Ideas
                      Publish your own
                      blog with Yahoo
                      Web Hosting.

                      Y! GeoCities
                      Share Photos
                      Put your favorite
                      photos online.

                      .

                    • michael
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                        Same here. We eat more and more the things which have self seeded
                        around from our original plantings of years/decades ago, mostly Asian
                        and European species of origin, not the hybrids of millennia, and
                        also many so-called weed plants. The daikon have reverted to their
                        wild form and need only thinning, by eating green of course. Some go
                        to seed and the young seed pods are eaten. The arugula is all over
                        the place, as is the shungiku and wild broccoli. I can't keep them or
                        the purslane out of the gravel driveway; not that i want to. Things
                        have spread to the orchard and for some reason the European alien
                        (sorry EU, that what the books call them) grasses are in decline as
                        the edible things increase. Who knows where this will all go but
                        after 25 years, OSR is looking more obvious. It takes a long time to
                        figure out how to do nothing.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2007
                          Dear michael, it's good to hear your thoughts after practicising so many
                          years of 'doing nothing' and that you find that 'One-Straw' becomes more
                          obvious as time passes. You mention purslane, which I forgot to mention in
                          my list, but is just about my favourite veg to eat and doesn't take any
                          space in the garden as, like you, it grows on the gravel track beside the
                          garden and requires (thrives) no intervention from me.
                          I have a video of Fukuoka speaking in India (thanks to Michiyo) where he
                          insists that there be no soil disturbance at all and that NF is nothing
                          other than casting seedballs. But, given enough seeds, I suspect that one
                          can do without the clay entirely (and letting plants go to seed and then
                          seed themselves is an excellent way of ensuring enough seed). All we need do
                          is return seeds to the land left bare of plants (and thus bare of seeds) and
                          the green will return.

                          And yes, this also means in droughty areas! Rain doesn't fall from the sky
                          but grows up from the ground.

                          Jamie
                          Souscayrous