Re: Seed Balls

  • Etem Tezcan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
      From

      http://millionseedballs.org/index.php?q=node/46

      I can see that only tree seeds were scattered. Did you think about

      mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume

      and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
      seeds.

      Thanks,

      Etem Tezcan

    • Sara Mandal-Joy
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
        Does anyone know which of the links on seedball.com are the ones
        relating to seedballs? Seems to be a whole lot of other stuff there,
        didn't click on all the links, but so far found nothing relating to
        seedballs. Sara
      • Linda Shewan
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
          www.seedballs.com was taken over by another group - there is no seedballs
          information on there anymore. Linda

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
            Dear Radha,
            Thanks for your mail.
            Subba Rao is going to leave the organisation by the end of this month. Otherwise we were planning to conduct the Seed Ball programme this year, albiet with slight changes compared to last years. I had written the mail thinking we could get some ideas regarding the same. Like someone has suggested that probably it would be a good idea to mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
            seeds. The germination rates vary between 20-25% , same as the case when you and others had come down here.
            We will be in touch with you in the next few months in this regard

            Best wishes

            Jojo

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
              Original

              www.seedballs.com <http://www.seedballs.com/>

              is now pointed to a strange web page.

              Try web archive

              http://web.archive.org/web/20050326090847/www.seedballs.com

              Regards,

              Etem

            • seaseal
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
                These wonderful inventions by Masanobu Fukuoka solved several problems:
                --birds eating seeds
                --seeds sprouting before sufficient moisture existed
                --getting seed, especially smaller seed, distributed.

                Making seed balls is fun--we recently had a "Seed Ball Party" with my
                Sustainable Re-skilling Group.

                We took potting soil, semi-moist compost, and locally gathered native
                plant seeds, with a little clay powder added. We added just a little
                clay powder (ground up unfired clay art projects or, actual clay that
                has been finely ground up). We saved the rest of the clay powder in a
                flat pan.

                We gooshed this all up and then let the balls sit for a bit to dry out.

                Then we rolled the balls in the pan of clay powder to coat the outside
                totally with clay.

                We then let them dry. We had collected lots of low, flat cardboard
                boxes (the kind sodas often come in; we got them from the liquor
                store) to carry our seed balls home.

                Many of us tossed a few out the windows of our cars or off the back of
                our bikes as we returned home. We chose likely spots, such as the
                verge alongside the road where some shade existed.

                We know these balls will protect the seed until enough rain has fallen
                to break open the clay seal. The seeds then have all the nutrient they
                need to get started.

                This is a great project to do with kids, but adults really enjoy this
                activity too. It's a really good one for doing a Fukuoka-style garden,
                with radish, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and more.

                For more about seed balls, just google the topic. You'll find lots of
                ideas.

                Cecile
                seaseal@...

                We see things, not as they are,