Re: Seed Balls

  • Douglas Barnes
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
      Jojo,

      You might try contacting the BCIL Alt. Tech Foundation at
      http://millionseedballs.org/

      Douglas JE Barnes
      EcoEdge Design
      http://www.ecoedge.ca
      http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com
      dbarnes@...

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "FES Chintamani"
      <chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

      > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more
      information on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called
      Foundation for Ecological Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.

    • Douglas Barnes

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
          Dear Jojo,

          I hadn't checked my mails for some time and missed reading your mail till
          now. BCIL-Altech Foundation has scattered seedballs in your area. Has Dr.
          Subba Rao been transferred? In fact Michiyo, Wakka, Vandana and myself
          visited the sites last year and found that the rains had failed and hence
          only a few seedballs had sprouted. What is the situation now?

          Why dont you call up Sunil in BCIL at 40184018, Bangalore? I helped the
          organisation make the seedballs through a lot of schools in Bangalore. What
          exactly do you want to know?

          All the very best!
          warm regards
          Radha

          On 13 Mar 2007 05:58:43 -0700, FES Chintamani <
          chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

          > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
          > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
          > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
          > Regards and best wishes
          >
          > jojo

        • Etem Tezcan
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
            From

            http://millionseedballs.org/index.php?q=node/46

            I can see that only tree seeds were scattered. Did you think about

            mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume

            and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
            seeds.

            Thanks,

            Etem Tezcan

          • Sara Mandal-Joy
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
              Does anyone know which of the links on seedball.com are the ones
              relating to seedballs? Seems to be a whole lot of other stuff there,
              didn't click on all the links, but so far found nothing relating to
              seedballs. Sara
            • Linda Shewan
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                www.seedballs.com was taken over by another group - there is no seedballs
                information on there anymore. Linda

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                  Dear Radha,
                  Thanks for your mail.
                  Subba Rao is going to leave the organisation by the end of this month. Otherwise we were planning to conduct the Seed Ball programme this year, albiet with slight changes compared to last years. I had written the mail thinking we could get some ideas regarding the same. Like someone has suggested that probably it would be a good idea to mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
                  seeds. The germination rates vary between 20-25% , same as the case when you and others had come down here.
                  We will be in touch with you in the next few months in this regard

                  chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

                  > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
                  > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
                  > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
                  > Regards and best wishes
                  >
                  > jojo

                • Etem Tezcan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                    Original

                    www.seedballs.com <http://www.seedballs.com/>

                    is now pointed to a strange web page.

                    Try web archive

                    http://web.archive.org/web/20050326090847/www.seedballs.com

                    Regards,

                    Etem

                  • seaseal
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 27 9:53 AM
                      These wonderful inventions by Masanobu Fukuoka solved several problems:
                      --birds eating seeds
                      --seeds sprouting before sufficient moisture existed
                      --getting seed, especially smaller seed, distributed.

                      Making seed balls is fun--we recently had a "Seed Ball Party" with my
                      Sustainable Re-skilling Group.

                      We took potting soil, semi-moist compost, and locally gathered native
                      plant seeds, with a little clay powder added. We added just a little
                      clay powder (ground up unfired clay art projects or, actual clay that
                      has been finely ground up). We saved the rest of the clay powder in a
                      flat pan.

                      We gooshed this all up and then let the balls sit for a bit to dry out.

                      Then we rolled the balls in the pan of clay powder to coat the outside
                      totally with clay.

                      We then let them dry. We had collected lots of low, flat cardboard
                      boxes (the kind sodas often come in; we got them from the liquor
                      store) to carry our seed balls home.

                      Many of us tossed a few out the windows of our cars or off the back of
                      our bikes as we returned home. We chose likely spots, such as the
                      verge alongside the road where some shade existed.

                      We know these balls will protect the seed until enough rain has fallen
                      to break open the clay seal. The seeds then have all the nutrient they
                      need to get started.

                      This is a great project to do with kids, but adults really enjoy this
                      activity too. It's a really good one for doing a Fukuoka-style garden,
                      with radish, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and more.

                      For more about seed balls, just google the topic. You'll find lots of
                      ideas.

                      Cecile
                      seaseal@...

                      We see things, not as they are,