Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Seed Balls

  • sbecc@berkshire.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 13, 2007
      > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information on
      > seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
      > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
      > Regards and best wishes
      >
      > jojo Hi jojo- Go to seedballs.com-great site w/all th info you need for
      making seedballs the fukuoka way. bmacv

    • Douglas Barnes
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
        Jojo,

        You might try contacting the BCIL Alt. Tech Foundation at
        http://millionseedballs.org/

        Douglas JE Barnes
        EcoEdge Design
        http://www.ecoedge.ca
        http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com
        dbarnes@...

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "FES Chintamani"
        <chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

        > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more
        information on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called
        Foundation for Ecological Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
        > Regards and best wishes
        >
        > jojo

      • Douglas Barnes

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
            Dear Jojo,

            I hadn't checked my mails for some time and missed reading your mail till
            now. BCIL-Altech Foundation has scattered seedballs in your area. Has Dr.
            Subba Rao been transferred? In fact Michiyo, Wakka, Vandana and myself
            visited the sites last year and found that the rains had failed and hence
            only a few seedballs had sprouted. What is the situation now?

            Why dont you call up Sunil in BCIL at 40184018, Bangalore? I helped the
            organisation make the seedballs through a lot of schools in Bangalore. What
            exactly do you want to know?

            All the very best!
            warm regards
            Radha

            On 13 Mar 2007 05:58:43 -0700, FES Chintamani <
            chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

            > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
            > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
            > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
            > Regards and best wishes
            >
            > jojo

          • Etem Tezcan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
              From

              http://millionseedballs.org/index.php?q=node/46

              I can see that only tree seeds were scattered. Did you think about

              mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume

              and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
              seeds.

              Thanks,

              Etem Tezcan

            • Sara Mandal-Joy
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                Does anyone know which of the links on seedball.com are the ones
                relating to seedballs? Seems to be a whole lot of other stuff there,
                didn't click on all the links, but so far found nothing relating to
                seedballs. Sara
              • Linda Shewan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                  www.seedballs.com was taken over by another group - there is no seedballs
                  information on there anymore. Linda

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                    Dear Radha,
                    Thanks for your mail.
                    Subba Rao is going to leave the organisation by the end of this month. Otherwise we were planning to conduct the Seed Ball programme this year, albiet with slight changes compared to last years. I had written the mail thinking we could get some ideas regarding the same. Like someone has suggested that probably it would be a good idea to mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
                    seeds. The germination rates vary between 20-25% , same as the case when you and others had come down here.
                    We will be in touch with you in the next few months in this regard

                    chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

                    > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
                    > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
                    > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
                    > Regards and best wishes
                    >
                    > jojo

                  • Etem Tezcan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                      Original

                      www.seedballs.com <http://www.seedballs.com/>

                      is now pointed to a strange web page.

                      Try web archive

                      http://web.archive.org/web/20050326090847/www.seedballs.com

                      Regards,

                      Etem

                    • seaseal
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
                        These wonderful inventions by Masanobu Fukuoka solved several problems:
                        --birds eating seeds
                        --seeds sprouting before sufficient moisture existed
                        --getting seed, especially smaller seed, distributed.

                        Making seed balls is fun--we recently had a "Seed Ball Party" with my
                        Sustainable Re-skilling Group.

                        We took potting soil, semi-moist compost, and locally gathered native
                        plant seeds, with a little clay powder added. We added just a little
                        clay powder (ground up unfired clay art projects or, actual clay that
                        has been finely ground up). We saved the rest of the clay powder in a
                        flat pan.

                        We gooshed this all up and then let the balls sit for a bit to dry out.

                        Then we rolled the balls in the pan of clay powder to coat the outside
                        totally with clay.

                        We then let them dry. We had collected lots of low, flat cardboard
                        boxes (the kind sodas often come in; we got them from the liquor
                        store) to carry our seed balls home.

                        Many of us tossed a few out the windows of our cars or off the back of
                        our bikes as we returned home. We chose likely spots, such as the
                        verge alongside the road where some shade existed.

                        We know these balls will protect the seed until enough rain has fallen
                        to break open the clay seal. The seeds then have all the nutrient they
                        need to get started.

                        This is a great project to do with kids, but adults really enjoy this
                        activity too. It's a really good one for doing a Fukuoka-style garden,
                        with radish, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and more.

                        For more about seed balls, just google the topic. You'll find lots of
                        ideas.

                        Cecile
                        seaseal@...

                        We see things, not as they are,