Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Seed Balls

  • FES Chintamani
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 12, 2007
      Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
      Regards and best wishes

      jojo
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 13, 2007
        > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information on
        > seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
        > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
        > Regards and best wishes
        >
        > jojo Hi jojo- Go to seedballs.com-great site w/all th info you need for
        making seedballs the fukuoka way. bmacv

      • Douglas Barnes
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
          Jojo,

          You might try contacting the BCIL Alt. Tech Foundation at
          http://millionseedballs.org/

          Douglas JE Barnes
          EcoEdge Design
          http://www.ecoedge.ca
          http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com
          dbarnes@...

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "FES Chintamani"
          <chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

          > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more
          information on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called
          Foundation for Ecological Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
          > Regards and best wishes
          >
          > jojo

        • Douglas Barnes

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 14, 2007
              Dear Jojo,

              I hadn't checked my mails for some time and missed reading your mail till
              now. BCIL-Altech Foundation has scattered seedballs in your area. Has Dr.
              Subba Rao been transferred? In fact Michiyo, Wakka, Vandana and myself
              visited the sites last year and found that the rains had failed and hence
              only a few seedballs had sprouted. What is the situation now?

              Why dont you call up Sunil in BCIL at 40184018, Bangalore? I helped the
              organisation make the seedballs through a lot of schools in Bangalore. What
              exactly do you want to know?

              All the very best!
              warm regards
              Radha

              On 13 Mar 2007 05:58:43 -0700, FES Chintamani <
              chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

              > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
              > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
              > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
              > Regards and best wishes
              >
              > jojo

            • Etem Tezcan
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                From

                http://millionseedballs.org/index.php?q=node/46

                I can see that only tree seeds were scattered. Did you think about

                mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume

                and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
                seeds.

                Thanks,

                Etem Tezcan

              • Sara Mandal-Joy
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                  Does anyone know which of the links on seedball.com are the ones
                  relating to seedballs? Seems to be a whole lot of other stuff there,
                  didn't click on all the links, but so far found nothing relating to
                  seedballs. Sara
                • Linda Shewan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 15, 2007
                    www.seedballs.com was taken over by another group - there is no seedballs
                    information on there anymore. Linda

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                      Dear Radha,
                      Thanks for your mail.
                      Subba Rao is going to leave the organisation by the end of this month. Otherwise we were planning to conduct the Seed Ball programme this year, albiet with slight changes compared to last years. I had written the mail thinking we could get some ideas regarding the same. Like someone has suggested that probably it would be a good idea to mixing legume and grass seeds with tree seeds so that sprouting legume and grass seeds may create a more suitable condition for sproution of tree
                      seeds. The germination rates vary between 20-25% , same as the case when you and others had come down here.
                      We will be in touch with you in the next few months in this regard

                      chintamani.fes@...> wrote:

                      > Could some one please tell me as to where I could get more information
                      > on seedballs. By the way I work with an NGO called Foundation for Ecological
                      > Securityin the south Indian state of Karnataka.
                      > Regards and best wishes
                      >
                      > jojo

                    • Etem Tezcan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 16, 2007
                        Original

                        www.seedballs.com <http://www.seedballs.com/>

                        is now pointed to a strange web page.

                        Try web archive

                        http://web.archive.org/web/20050326090847/www.seedballs.com

                        Regards,

                        Etem

                      • seaseal
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 27, 2009
                          These wonderful inventions by Masanobu Fukuoka solved several problems:
                          --birds eating seeds
                          --seeds sprouting before sufficient moisture existed
                          --getting seed, especially smaller seed, distributed.

                          Making seed balls is fun--we recently had a "Seed Ball Party" with my
                          Sustainable Re-skilling Group.

                          We took potting soil, semi-moist compost, and locally gathered native
                          plant seeds, with a little clay powder added. We added just a little
                          clay powder (ground up unfired clay art projects or, actual clay that
                          has been finely ground up). We saved the rest of the clay powder in a
                          flat pan.

                          We gooshed this all up and then let the balls sit for a bit to dry out.

                          Then we rolled the balls in the pan of clay powder to coat the outside
                          totally with clay.

                          We then let them dry. We had collected lots of low, flat cardboard
                          boxes (the kind sodas often come in; we got them from the liquor
                          store) to carry our seed balls home.

                          Many of us tossed a few out the windows of our cars or off the back of
                          our bikes as we returned home. We chose likely spots, such as the
                          verge alongside the road where some shade existed.

                          We know these balls will protect the seed until enough rain has fallen
                          to break open the clay seal. The seeds then have all the nutrient they
                          need to get started.

                          This is a great project to do with kids, but adults really enjoy this
                          activity too. It's a really good one for doing a Fukuoka-style garden,
                          with radish, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, and more.

                          For more about seed balls, just google the topic. You'll find lots of
                          ideas.

                          Cecile
                          seaseal@...

                          We see things, not as they are,