Fukuoka's farming way

  • Carlos Enrique Kaiser Winkler
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2007
      Salutes to All: A newcomer to the group. Would like to know if there are
      any people applying Kukuoka's farming in Ireland or England .Before starting
      it in my farm,it must be quite helpful to contact ,and hopefully see first
      hand how it is done. Starting next month I will be visiting nord
      Europe.And it would be helpful to know where and whom to contact.
      Last week- there was mail- talk reffering to Moth mullein Verbascum
      blattaria . From the American Bee Journal May 2006 I quote :" Moth mullein
      was one of the species included in W.J.Beal'sfamous seed viability
      experiment conducted to determinate how long seeds might remain dormant in
      the soil,yet remain viable,retaining the capacity to germinate when exposed
      to favorable conditions. Beal started the experiment in 1879 by burying 25
      species of seed in pint bottles packed with damp sand on the Michigan State
      University Campus.The bottles (20 per seed species )were uncorked with the
      mouth placed downward to prevent an accumulation of water. Periodically the
      bottles were unearthed and the seed from one bottle of each species tersted
      for germination ability. The last seed to lose their germination ability
      were those of moth mullein. In April 2000, 120 years after Beal`s had
      buried them,the 15 th bottle of moth mullein still contained viable seed.
      The experiment was instrumental in elucidating the importance of (So,the
      author George S.Ayers, Entomology,Michigan State University) the stale seed
      bed that is just waiting to be brought into a suitable environment by many
      of our tillage and cultivation practices in order to germinate. From
      Caleu, Chile Carlos Kaiser

      Charla con tus amigos en lĂ­nea mediante MSN Messenger:
      http://messenger.latam.msn.com/