Re: Progression

  • garden03048
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2007
      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@...> wrote:

      > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
      summer.
      > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
      >
      > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
      > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
      just
      > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
      > edible.
      >
      > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
      > to make this space more edible.
      >
      > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
      or
      > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
      improved
      > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
      >
      > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
      they
      > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
      >
      > Jeff

      Jeff,

      it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
      there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
      them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
      spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
      raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?

      anthony NH zone 5
    • debhlv
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
        I have never seen nor heard of Jerusalem Artichoke being invasive. Is it, in your area? Yo, I
        love the stuff, and wish it grew here with more abundance!! Love to serve up that nice
        black stuff to unsuspecting folk, and have them fall in love! <G>

        That Mullein, btw, is some of the best medicine you can have for those who do hard work
        for a living; like homestead/farmer types. It is one of the finest herbs for helping back
        troubles, joint troubles, and is also (most folk know of these applications) for respiratory
        problems. Not "food", but is such a gentle, effective, and all-purpose healing and useful
        herb, I'd certainly think twice before dismissing it. It also is a great plant for opening up
        hardpan and other depleted soils- one reason it's growing where it is now. So, if you don't
        want it where it's at, why not propagate it where you have some soil that isn't doing so
        well?

        How about some asparagus? I remember this simply because this plant was discussed
        elsewhere that I read this morn- but asparagus is some mighty fine eats, and easy as an
        old log to care for.

        Am not certain what you mean by "mules tail" do you by any chance know the botanical
        name for it, or have/have links to pics of it?

        If you can grow the egyptians, you can grow some fine garlic, too.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "garden03048" <apdirusso@...> wrote:

        > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@> wrote:
        > >
        > > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
        > summer.
        > > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
        > >
        > > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
        > > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
        > just
        > > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
        > > edible.
        > >
        > > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
        > > to make this space more edible.
        > >
        > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
        > or
        > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
        > improved
        > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
        > >
        > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
        > they
        > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
        > >
        > > Jeff
        > >
        > Jeff,
        >
        > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
        > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
        > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
        > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
        > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?
        >
        > anthony NH zone 5

      • celebrate everyday blessings
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
          If you can handle an unusual recommendation, I've heard peeing on rhubarb does wonders, so maybe
          yours needs a boost.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
        • celebratethepresent
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
            Here is more on my urine therapy suggestion. Pee in a 5 gallon bucket and fill with water.
            Pour on the soil. Also I hear rhubarb needs sun.
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "garden03048" <apdirusso@...> wrote:

            > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@> wrote:
            > >
            > > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
            > summer.
            > > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
            > >
            > > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
            > > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
            > just
            > > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
            > > edible.
            > >
            > > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
            > > to make this space more edible.
            > >
            > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
            > or
            > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
            > improved
            > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
            > >
            > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
            > they
            > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
            > >
            > > Jeff
            > >
            > Jeff,
            >
            > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
            > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
            > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
            > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
            > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?
            >
            > anthony NH zone 5

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
              I live in zone 4 borderline to zone 3 mn/nd
              THe other primary weed in question
              is also known as horseweed aka Erigeron canadensis

              It gets sun from about 10 am until just about dusk.
              It is close to swamp also, during spring water table is generally
              within a foot of the surface....

              The raspberries are wild, never been cut back,
              but have competition from poison ivy, sumac and dogwood,,,...
              I'm discouraging the ivy, encouraging the sumac, and nuetral about the
              dogwood...

              the rasberries are only in direct sun 4-6 hours a day...
              I know the good properties of mullein so I don't mind it,
              but it doesn't get me fed.. lol... i keep thinking someday
              I"ll discover a use for the gazillion seeds each plant produces...

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "debhlv" <debhlv@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > > to make this space more edible.
              > > >
              > > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
              > > or
              > > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
              > > improved
              > > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
              > > >
              > > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
              > > they
              > > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
              > > >
              > > > Jeff
              > > >
              > > Jeff,
              > >
              > > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
              > > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
              > > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
              > > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
              > > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?

            • garden03048
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@...> wrote:

                > I live in zone 4 borderline to zone 3 mn/nd
                > THe other primary weed in question
                > is also known as horseweed aka Erigeron canadensis
                >
                > It gets sun from about 10 am until just about dusk.
                > It is close to swamp also, during spring water table is generally
                > within a foot of the surface....
                >
                > The raspberries are wild, never been cut back,
                > but have competition from poison ivy, sumac and dogwood,,,...
                > I'm discouraging the ivy, encouraging the sumac, and nuetral about
                the
                > dogwood...
                >
                > the rasberries are only in direct sun 4-6 hours a day...
                > I know the good properties of mullein so I don't mind it,
                > but it doesn't get me fed.. lol... i keep thinking someday
                > I"ll discover a use for the gazillion seeds each plant produces...
                >

                > Maybe you should try cutting back the raspberries. Some people cut
                them to the ground in late winter. I have 'domestic' everbearers
                that I cut down to three feet or so. I also remove dead canes. This
                I do in late winter or early spring. Seems to help a lot.

                anthony NH zone 5

              • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Jeff, did you know that goats will eat the poison ivy with no ill
                  effects to them? Many people use goats to eradicate, or control
                  poison ivy.

                  Gloria, Texas