Progression

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
      So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the summer.
      It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)

      I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
      but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically just
      weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
      edible.

      What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
      to make this space more edible.

      I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there or
      not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not improved
      so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...

      and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive... they
      only have one or 2 berries per bush....

      Jeff
    • garden03048
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2007
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@...> wrote:

        > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
        summer.
        > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
        >
        > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
        > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
        just
        > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
        > edible.
        >
        > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
        > to make this space more edible.
        >
        > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
        or
        > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
        improved
        > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
        >
        > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
        they
        > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
        >
        > Jeff

        Jeff,

        it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
        there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
        them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
        spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
        raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?

        anthony NH zone 5
      • debhlv
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
          I have never seen nor heard of Jerusalem Artichoke being invasive. Is it, in your area? Yo, I
          love the stuff, and wish it grew here with more abundance!! Love to serve up that nice
          black stuff to unsuspecting folk, and have them fall in love! <G>

          That Mullein, btw, is some of the best medicine you can have for those who do hard work
          for a living; like homestead/farmer types. It is one of the finest herbs for helping back
          troubles, joint troubles, and is also (most folk know of these applications) for respiratory
          problems. Not "food", but is such a gentle, effective, and all-purpose healing and useful
          herb, I'd certainly think twice before dismissing it. It also is a great plant for opening up
          hardpan and other depleted soils- one reason it's growing where it is now. So, if you don't
          want it where it's at, why not propagate it where you have some soil that isn't doing so
          well?

          How about some asparagus? I remember this simply because this plant was discussed
          elsewhere that I read this morn- but asparagus is some mighty fine eats, and easy as an
          old log to care for.

          Am not certain what you mean by "mules tail" do you by any chance know the botanical
          name for it, or have/have links to pics of it?

          If you can grow the egyptians, you can grow some fine garlic, too.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "garden03048" <apdirusso@...> wrote:

          > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
          > summer.
          > > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
          > >
          > > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
          > > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
          > just
          > > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
          > > edible.
          > >
          > > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
          > > to make this space more edible.
          > >
          > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
          > or
          > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
          > improved
          > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
          > >
          > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
          > they
          > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
          > >
          > > Jeff
          > >
          > Jeff,
          >
          > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
          > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
          > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
          > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
          > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?
          >
          > anthony NH zone 5

        • celebrate everyday blessings
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
            If you can handle an unusual recommendation, I've heard peeing on rhubarb does wonders, so maybe
            yours needs a boost.

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • celebratethepresent
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
              Here is more on my urine therapy suggestion. Pee in a 5 gallon bucket and fill with water.
              Pour on the soil. Also I hear rhubarb needs sun.
              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "garden03048" <apdirusso@...> wrote:

              > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@> wrote:
              > >
              > > So I have this weekend spot in lake country that I go to in the
              > summer.
              > > It has rhubarb that doesn't do too good (too shaded, i think)
              > >
              > > I put some egyptian onoins there and they love it,
              > > but its an old (very sandy) strawberry patch, that is bassically
              > just
              > > weeds. mostly grass and mules tail and mullen, not much that 's even
              > > edible.
              > >
              > > What vegetables and other perrenials would you recommend plannting
              > > to make this space more edible.
              > >
              > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
              > or
              > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
              > improved
              > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
              > >
              > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
              > they
              > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
              > >
              > > Jeff
              > >
              > Jeff,
              >
              > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
              > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
              > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
              > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
              > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?
              >
              > anthony NH zone 5

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2007
                I live in zone 4 borderline to zone 3 mn/nd
                THe other primary weed in question
                is also known as horseweed aka Erigeron canadensis

                It gets sun from about 10 am until just about dusk.
                It is close to swamp also, during spring water table is generally
                within a foot of the surface....

                The raspberries are wild, never been cut back,
                but have competition from poison ivy, sumac and dogwood,,,...
                I'm discouraging the ivy, encouraging the sumac, and nuetral about the
                dogwood...

                the rasberries are only in direct sun 4-6 hours a day...
                I know the good properties of mullein so I don't mind it,
                but it doesn't get me fed.. lol... i keep thinking someday
                I"ll discover a use for the gazillion seeds each plant produces...

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "debhlv" <debhlv@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > to make this space more edible.
                > > >
                > > > I'm trying to decide wether I want to put jerusam artichokes there
                > > or
                > > > not, i have some here in a planter, but they're wild, and not
                > > improved
                > > > so the tubers are really small..., and they're invasive,...
                > > >
                > > > and what can I do to make the wild raspberries more productive...
                > > they
                > > > only have one or 2 berries per bush....
                > > >
                > > > Jeff
                > > >
                > > Jeff,
                > >
                > > it would help to know where the lake country is - what zone? If
                > > there are trees around, collect the leaves and use as mulch, or pile
                > > them up this year and use the compost next year. How shady is the
                > > spot? Some vegies can take more shade than others. have the
                > > raspberries ever been pruned or cut back?

              • garden03048
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2007
                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <shultonus@...> wrote:

                  > I live in zone 4 borderline to zone 3 mn/nd
                  > THe other primary weed in question
                  > is also known as horseweed aka Erigeron canadensis
                  >
                  > It gets sun from about 10 am until just about dusk.
                  > It is close to swamp also, during spring water table is generally
                  > within a foot of the surface....
                  >
                  > The raspberries are wild, never been cut back,
                  > but have competition from poison ivy, sumac and dogwood,,,...
                  > I'm discouraging the ivy, encouraging the sumac, and nuetral about
                  the
                  > dogwood...
                  >
                  > the rasberries are only in direct sun 4-6 hours a day...
                  > I know the good properties of mullein so I don't mind it,
                  > but it doesn't get me fed.. lol... i keep thinking someday
                  > I"ll discover a use for the gazillion seeds each plant produces...
                  >

                  > Maybe you should try cutting back the raspberries. Some people cut
                  them to the ground in late winter. I have 'domestic' everbearers
                  that I cut down to three feet or so. I also remove dead canes. This
                  I do in late winter or early spring. Seems to help a lot.

                  anthony NH zone 5

                • Gloria C. Baikauskas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 17, 2007
                    Jeff, did you know that goats will eat the poison ivy with no ill
                    effects to them? Many people use goats to eradicate, or control
                    poison ivy.

                    Gloria, Texas