Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: SuCcess Stories for KikoriCco

  • Andrew E Fister
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2007
      Well I have another perspective on success and failure - nature doesn't
      succeed or fail! Failure and success are human concepts, not nature's.
      One may employ various methods called "natural" but does that make one a
      "natural farmer"? On a semi-related humorous note: The Taoist master
      Chuang Tzu once had a dream that he was a butterfly. He lived the life of
      a butterfly, gathering nectar and flying in an insect's world. Suddenly,
      he awoke and found himself laying in bed, a person. But then he thought
      to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am
      I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?" I find that if "I" and
      nature are one, I have to laugh at the futility of my seriousness in
      striving after my concept of success or avoiding the disappointment in
      failure....afterall, I'm just dreaming.

      Andrew Fister
      Wandafar Sanctuary
      Glasgow, KY

      On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:16:52 -0800 (PST) biggly boop pongy pig
      <bigglybooppongypig@...> writes:
      I would agree that we should consider yields rather in terms of minerals,
      vitamins
      and general nutritional value per suare meter, instead of volume and
      weight. I am currently a horticulture student. In production no one cares
      about nutrition it is only about weight and that is usually achieved by
      trying to pump the product full of water as water is heavy. They really
      try to get that fine line of as much water as possible, but still make it
      taste good enough for people will buy it. I think the population would
      really be shocked to find out how much the food industry doesn't care
      about nutritional value. Also I know too that a lot of times chemical
      farmers get better yields but actually have more damaged product so in
      the end you might be getting 80% of your neighbours yield but in terms of
      sellable produce getting the same yield and better nutritional value!