Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: New Member

  • linda
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2007
      I love the term "veganic gardening." That is what I do although people I
      encounter give me some flack about not using animal products, including
      fish, for my gardens. It just came naturally though, the vegan part, since I
      am a vegan how in the world could I justify using animal fertilizers,
      including fish fertilizer and be consistent. I guess I will have to change
      my "organic garden" tag to "veganic gardening" which will bring the
      questions on.
      linda
      linda's organic gardens: http://photos.yahoo.com/womyn47

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 25, 2007
        Great to hear that the old Master is still alive, I do feel sorry for
        my stupid mistake.

        greetings,
        Bart
      • Jamie Nicol
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2007
          Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a field'?' is just to the point.

          Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to germinate. But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and several seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not forget that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green manure did not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been carefully tended for hundreds of years.

          But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it we want when we start farming a field?'

          When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of our farming becomes clear.

          Jamie
          Souscayrous

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2007
            I agree with Jamie, "how to start farming in a field," is just to the
            point.

            My farming experiments have been largely successful if I start with
            hand tillage. Subsequent seeding into standing crops succeeds in most
            cases where there is enough water to start germination. Less
            successful have been my attempts to overcome dominant grass covered
            fields. At some point in reading Fukuoka I remember the statement
            that some weeding (tilling?) may be required to get started. I have
            been attempting to go from a smaller area of hand tillage to a larger
            area by casting seed into standing grasses with little success. At
            most, legumes represent 10% in this manor. White clover is especially
            difficult to establish this way. Red clover has been a little better.
            This could be a regional difference.

            I am interested in any methods the group members have used to get
            started in persuading a new mix of ground cover. I remember one post
            that suggested a round-up type chemical product to get started and I'm
            reluctant to do this. I have considered an early spring rototilling
            to plant clover into. Any other ideas? I think direct seeding and
            cutting the overgrowth of grass would eventually be successful, but
            coming from a culture of immediate gratification I don't see waiting
            years and years on top of the years already invested.

            The only answer to the question, "What is it we want when we start
            farming a field," it seems to me, is a chance in the long run of
            success in farming a field. Or am I missing an esoteric point here?

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Nicol" <jamienicol@...>
            wrote:

            > Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a
            field'?' is just to the point.

            > Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as
            close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or
            just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to germinate.
            But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and several
            seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not forget
            that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green manure did
            not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been carefully tended
            for hundreds of years.

            > But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it
            we want when we start farming a field?'

            > When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of
            our farming becomes clear.

            > Jamie
            > Souscayrous

          • Robert Monie
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 25, 2007
              Will Bonsall is an acknowledged seedsman; glad to hear he farms veganically ( "stock free"). This puts him in the company of the late Scott Nearing, Elliot Coleman, Yoshikazu Kawaguchi, Iain Tolhurst and many others who produce veggies decade after decade, letting the "roots and cover crops" do the work of fertilizing the soil and nourishing the right microbes rather than recruiting animals to supply manure.

              FEDCO seeds has a tribute to Will and a link to his Scatterseed project at
              http://www.fedcoseeds.com/moose/scatterseed.htm

              Andrew, do you know if Will by any chance offers an internship in veganic gardening/farming? This might fill the bill for the several new Fukuoka list members who have been looking for places to learn their craft.

              Bob Monie
              New Orleans, LA

              Andrew E Fister <aefister@...> wrote:
              Yes, "veganic gardening" has been catching on. There is a farmer in
              Maine, Will Bonsall, who has been doing veganic gardening for over 30
              years. He is also the primary curator for Potatoes, Peas, Runner Beans,
              Fava Beans and Biennials for the Seed Savers Exchange. He is also the
              founder of Scatterseed Project, which conducts workshops on veganic
              gardening, seed saving, self reliance, regional food independence and
              sustainability. Scatterseed Project maintains literally thousands of
              varieties of vegetable seed.

              Andrew Fister
              Wandafar Sanctuary
              Glasgow, KY

              On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 14:31:57 -0800 (PST) Robert Monie
              <bobm20001@...> writes:
              Hi Kikorrico,

              Some of the freshest and most original efforts to farm naturally are to
              be found in Great Britain. Iain Holhurst, for example, who now runs a
              stock-free farm (no animal input, no animal manure) began as a
              traditional animal-manure dairy farmer over twenty years ago and for
              totally economic and pragmatic reasons began to move towards more
              sustainable methods. This odyssey carried him over first to organic
              farming, and now to a distinctly vegan closed-loop method that fertilizes
              using rotations of green manure and rotations of the crops growing in or
              alongside it.

              I recommend Holhurst especially for 2 compelling reasons: 1) he has been
              a successful Commercial farmer for some time, producing over 500 boxes of
              produce for clients weekly, using the sustainable techniques he writes
              about; 2) he is co-author of a recent book that tries to redirect
              agriculture beyond the traditional categories of chemical farming, animal
              farming, and traditional organic farming towards a plant-only closed
              system that does the job. His book (co-authored with Jenny Hall and to be
              released in the US in a few months) is "Growing Green: Animal-Free
              Organic Techniques."

              Holhurst has reported success in growing some food crops directly over
              the green cover crops (as Fukuoka did with vegetables) and some alongside
              the cover crops. I doubt that he has worked out the details yet for every
              crop in every kind of soil, but he is well on his way toward making
              reliable generalizations, especially for crops and soils in Great
              Britain. After you read his book, if you have a chance to meet with
              Holhurst (in person or by correspondence), I don't think you will regret
              it. Also, both Holhurst and his co-author Hall are trying to recover
              techniques known to the British ley farmers of the 19th and early 20th
              centuries but now nearly lost. The big difference is that Holhurst and
              Hall are adapting these techniques to stock-free, vegan soil culture.

              I would call attention to the word "techniques" in Holhurst's book. As
              human beings, without techniques we can only dream.

              For a little glimpse of what Holhurst does see
              http://www.vegfolk.co.uk/news/docs/Tolhurst.pdf

              Sincerely,

              Bob Monie
              New Orleans, LA
              kikoricco <kikoricco@...> wrote:
[...]

            • kikoricco
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 26, 2007
                Thanks for the reply. So any suggestions or success stories? I
                jutfrustrated sometimes because nobody tells any success stories jsut
                problems and mysteries. Encouragment is very important. Thanks
                <jamienicol@...> wrote:

                > Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a
                field'?' is just to the point.

                > Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as
                close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or
                just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to
                germinate. But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and
                several seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not
                forget that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green
                manure did not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been
                carefully tended for hundreds of years.

                > But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it
                we want when we start farming a field?'

                > When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of
                our farming becomes clear.

                > Jamie
                > Souscayrous

              • Jamie Nicol
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 27, 2007
                  Dear Kikoricco, I have just bought an old vineyard that is split into two, roughly acre-sized fields. These fields have been in vines for more than 100 years and with the constant ploughing, spraying (Lime, Copper Sulphate, Round-Up, Pesticide) and leaving the soil naked year round and thus prone to erosion, the soil is almost free of organic matter, dusty (no structure) and devoid of microorganisms - ie almost dead. The field I mentioned I'd seedballed with little immediate success was lush, with many grass, legumes, wild flowers...etc and had not been ploughed for more than 30 years, only mown to keep woody plants from taking over.

                  Because of the life in the pasture I would be loath to do anything to disrupt the obviously healthy cycling of myriad life and continue with scything and seedballing/seeding until I had changed what was growing; while for the old vineyard I propose passing a tractor to breakup the plough-pan, to break up the huge clods of soil (it is clay rich here and when dry becomes very hard and these clods weighing upto 25kg have been left after the digging up of the vineyard) and refill the gully that has formed in the lower field due to rainfall erosion.

                  Vastly different solutions are required for vastly different circumstances. Perhaps if you gave us an idea of the field you want to begin NF in we could all be more specific with recommendations and techniques that work.

                  Jamie
                  Souscayrous

                  PS I'd be very pleased to hear from anyone with ideas of what to do with the old vineyard. Mediterranean climate, clay soil, calcareous, southerly aspect, 600mm rainfall, falling mostly in autumn but some in spring but with large annual difference (300mm in last 12 months), -7C average annual minimum, 50-60 days above 30C. Thanks
                  <jamienicol@...> wrote:

                  > Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a
                  field'?' is just to the point.

                  > Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as
                  close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or
                  just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to
                  germinate. But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and
                  several seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not
                  forget that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green
                  manure did not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been
                  carefully tended for hundreds of years.

                  > But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it
                  we want when we start farming a field?'

                  > When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of
                  our farming becomes clear.

                  > Jamie
                  > Souscayrous

                • Royal A. Purdy
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 27, 2007
                    Jamie,

                    I recommend you take a look at the "Yeomans Plow" website.
                    (www.yeomansplow.com); somewhere there in the "Red Book" catalog
                    section is a photo of the very minimally invasive Yeomans type plow
                    being used in a vineyard environment. While there also study
                    the "Keyline" system techniques links as viewed from a Fukuoka Style
                    Natural Farming practitioners perspective and point of view. Good
                    luck.

                    Be safe. Sincerely,

                    Royal A. Purdy, The Elysian Fields and Pasture Project
                    A.H. Tuttle and Company
                    1007 County Road 8
                    Farmington, New York 14425
                    www.ahtuttle.com
                    rapurdy@...
                    315-986-7007
                  • Jamie Nicol
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 28, 2007
                      Dear Royal, thanks for the tip on the Keyline system. I came across it some years ago while enthralled by permaculture (Mollisson has perhaps done more than anyone to champion Yeoman's techniques). But my aim is to minimise machinery use and my reluctant use of a tractor, plough and harrow is a one-off. But, again, given the right circumstances (I've read with interest 'The Basis of Keyline' and the success in rebuilding pasture quickly), it might well have an application within NF.

                      A particular technique is neither right nor wrong because before any technique is applied there is the reason that puts it to use.

                      Jamie
                      Souscayrous

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 28, 2007
                        Jamie

                        In my little experiencie that have with the clay in my land
                        i see that the bacteria that get the nitrogen from the air don´t
                        success if the clay not allow to breathe the roots.

                        Javier H.

                        At 07:51 a.m. 28/01/2007, you wrote:

                        >Dear Royal, thanks for the tip on the Keyline
                        >system. I came across it some years ago while
                        >enthralled by permaculture (Mollisson has
                        >perhaps done more than anyone to champion
                        >Yeoman's techniques). But my aim is to minimise
                        >machinery use and my reluctant use of a tractor,
                        >plough and harrow is a one-off. But, again,
                        >given the right circumstances (I've read with
                        >interest 'The Basis of Keyline' and the success
                        >in rebuilding pasture quickly), it might well have an application within NF.
                        >
                        >A particular technique is neither right nor
                        >wrong because before any technique is applied
                        >there is the reason that puts it to use.
                        >
                        >Jamie
                        >Souscayrous

                      • Andrew E Fister
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 29, 2007
                          Hey Bob,
                          I believe Will and Molly do take on interns, but you have to contact them
                          directly at Khadighar Farm in Maine. From what I gather they are pretty
                          low tech, so if you want to find out anything you'll have to contact them
                          by snail mail or telephone. Will is very much regionally focused and
                          utilizes only those resources that are available to his area. So I would
                          say anyone interested in learning his gardening ways from outside the New
                          England zone might want to take that into consideration.

                          Andrew Fister
                          Wandafar Sanctuary
                          Glasgow, KY

                          On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:18:21 -0800 (PST) Robert Monie
                          <bobm20001@...> writes:
[...]

                          Hi Kikorrico,

                          kikoricco <kikoricco@...> wrote:
[...]

                        • emilie hamilton
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 29, 2007
                            Thank you for information of Will and Molly's 'veganic' farm in
                            Maine. I have been seeking out farmers who value vegan farming
                            in order to find a place to farm this coming spring when I
                            finish house/pet sitting here in Massachusetts. I had the
                            blessed opportunity to met Helen Nearing just after Scott had
                            died - then left New England for a period of time.

                            The other area of the country I have considered moving to is
                            Kentucky - still remember the beauty of plum trees in blossom in
                            early spring driving through Kentucky a number of years ago.

                            I would much appreciate information of veganic farming farms
                            anyone has knowledge of here in the US. THANK YOU. Blessings,
                            Em

                            Let the beauty we love be what we do. Rumi
                            Let everything you do be done in love.
                            1 Corinthians 16:14
                            'Love is the measure.' Dorothy Day
                            'Gather yourselves...All that we do now must
                            be done in a sacred manner.' Hopi Elders 2001

                            Never miss an email again!
                          • Robert Monie
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 30, 2007
                              Hi Kikoricco,

                              What is "success"?

                              I grow chinese greens (yo choy, bok choy, tah tsoy, purple mustard, lemon cucumbers, gai lan, perilla, Vietnamese mint, Vietnamese coriander and others) as well as scallions, onions, chives, lemon grass, cucumbers and kumquats in decent amounts (about 75% of what a chemical garden of the same size would support) on soil that has been enlivened by successions of cover crops with some vegan composting and a little annual soil innoculation
                              (with glomus microbes bred by Dr. Michael Melendrez). No till, no fertilizer, no pesticide (though I do spray garlic extract). I think I have a modestly successful "natural" garden and I have started gardens with friends in other locations on the same principles that are doing modestly well. If by "success" you mean beating the yield that your neighbors get with chemicals, I say forget it. Natural farmer Y. Kawaguchi reports that he is doing well after several decades with a yield of about 80% of what the chemical farms produce, and I say very loudly, "good enough"! Some commercial vegan farmers (who are moving pretty fast in the direction of "natural" farming) may be able to do better or may not; we shall wait and see.

                              Seventy to Eighty percent the yield of chemical farming is enough. In the "developed" world, obesity is increasingly common, even in infants. Cutting back to 70% calories, if the food is nutrient dense, would be an improvement for most people.

                              Be happy! Find a mentor who knows seeds and grows veganically. How about Will Bonsall in Maine? (Khadighar Vegan Farm, 39 Bailey Road,. Industry, Maine 04938 or Khadighar Farm, Box 1167, Farmington, Maine 04938--thanks to Andrew for the lead). Veganic farmers are necessarily minimalist, since they forego the use of blood, feathers, bone, hair, animal manures, guanos and urine. This minimalism usually pushes them in the direction of Fukuoka's ideal closed-loop system, with very pleasant results.

                              You need to become a cover-crop and root-growing farmer before you become a food-crop farmer. You need to grow plants that feed the soil and develop humus first before you can grow plants that feed human stomachs.

                              Grow a succession of cover crops for a few seasons to find out what thrives in your area before trying to grow food crops. Take pride in what big, lush cover crops you can grow; cover the fields with them! Try buckwheat, rye, spelt, ladino or New Zealand clover, hairy vetch, red and yellow clover, oilseed radish, "trios" triticale, chicory, nettle. Your cold weather might support bell beans (fava) as well. Here and there (definitely not for complete cover), try some rows of deep rooted "wild" plants like purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea) with its 24-inch minimum root, deep accumulator herbs like sorrel, plantain, dandelion, and burnet, and some monster root grass like Vetiver grass, with its up to 10-foot long roots.

                              You can also plant some Easy food crops for cover, such as green onions (scallions)--those from the produce shelf at grocery stores will take root in most soils (assuming that the produce clerk didn't cut off the roots).

                              It doesn't matter if you want to try these cover crops separately or mixed so long as you have a fair idea of when not to plant them (buckwheat won't usually grow in the winter, and
                              Daikon radish won't grow well in the hot summer heat, for example). If I put any of these seeds in seedballs, they don''t grow at all for me; but most will grow if I just sow them "naked." There will be some seeds that your region does not like. In New Orleans, hairy vetch usually doesn't sprout, or if it does it wilts soon after. I have planted wheat over and over just to see only a stalk or two every 30 feet or so. But rye grows so wild and fast that you can sow it over a pile of dead leaves and it will take root and cover the leaves with a thick mat of bright green shoots!

                              My Vietnamese farmer friends say that the best you can do is to "make life easy (or happy)for the roots and their friends" (meaning the microbial life that feeds them), and you will be successful. Working with Vietnamese farmers in the New Orleans area, trading
                              cultures, picking brains (as well as Asian greens), and sounding out sympathies, I have learned to roll as the Earth rolls. After a couple of seasons of unsuccessfully trying to get Gai lohn seeds established in a well-composed, cover-cropped New Orleans East field, the farmers just dug up some gai lohn seedlings (which had roots waiting to be made happy) from another field, and the transplants did just fine. In fact, there's no law against growing all your veggies from plug packs for the first few years if your soil doesn't like seeds. Richters in Canada (they ship to the US) has some wonderful "plug packs" of Chinese Cabbage, Japanese eggplants, Gai-lohn, Pak-Choi, and Alpine Strawberries waiting to be made happy. (See http://www.Richters.com). So does Grizzly Hill Farm (http://www.GrowOrganic.com). Their seedlings include purple tomatillo, lemon cucumber, Suyo long Chinese cucumber, mizuna mustand, tat tsoi, and purple wave mustard.

                              Some soils don't like annuals but will grow perennial vegetables (from seed.) John Jeavons' Bountiful Gardens (http://www.bountifulgardens.org) now offers a perennial vegetable exploratory packet (LAY-6610) that includes asparagus, perpetual spinach, seakale, good king henry, rhubarb, artichoke, welsh onion, and sorrel.

                              Start growing!

                              Bob Monie
                              New Orleans, LA
                              After the Flood

                              <jamienicol@...> wrote:

                              > Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a
                              field'?' is just to the point.

                              > Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as
                              close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or
                              just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to
                              germinate. But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and
                              several seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not
                              forget that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green
                              manure did not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been
                              carefully tended for hundreds of years.

                              > But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it
                              we want when we start farming a field?'

                              > When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of
                              our farming becomes clear.

                              > Jamie
                              > Souscayrous

                            • kikoricco
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 30, 2007
                                Yes, It all makes sense. Get the land back into shape by planting
                                colonizing species that do well in extreme soils, deep rooted plant
                                and plants that improve soils, always keep ground covered. My
                                definition of success is being able to live off the land while
                                enhancing the life of everything associated with it. plants, animals,
                                etc...blablabla. I would have to say my main frustration in living
                                here in NYC were my only garden is 3feetx3feet in front of the house
                                and its already taken up by my mother in laws Jesus statue and a bunch
                                of ugly bricks.
                                Ive been doing a lot of reading and Im impatient to move to South
                                America which I will b doing in a year. My plan is to go to Brazil and
                                learn from these people
                                http://www.farmingsolutions.org/successtories/stories.asp?id=89#
                                the guy who started it all is a swiss guy and 20 years ago bought a
                                big amount of abandonded farm land that used to be rainforest but was
                                degraded to the point of abandon. With his simple slash/ mulch
                                agroforestry techniques 5 years later he had Cacao been yields far
                                higher than the national average and now his land looks just like the
                                rainforest it used to be with Bananas, pineapples, cacao, native
                                fruits, nitrogen fixing trees, etc...he has noticed endangered species
                                that thrive in his land. Even the cacao producing french multinational
                                that lives next door has hired him as a consultant. Him and people who
                                trained under him started a polyculture project in the dyrlands area
                                of brazil with much success. Same agroforestry techniques but designed
                                with different plants suitable to the conditions and now the banks
                                that used to require the farmer to use chemicals and monoculture in
                                order to get a loan are considering changing that to requiring
                                polyculture to get a loan. Its showing that there is a future on the
                                farm and it has stopped many people from moving to the slums in Rio.
                                I did a lot of reading on the internet of the natural farming of the
                                Indians in the americas.
                                http://ppathw3.cals.cornell.edu/mba_project/ETHURSTON.html
                                its very interesting.
                                also on the Hopi Tribe (of arizona) I was reading that traditionaly
                                hopi farmers didnt till the soil and their crops were interspersed
                                with rows of native vegetation (what most people call weeds) to help
                                retain moisture fight erosion windbreak insect resistance etc...
                                also natives in the polynesian islands used to do slash mulch
                                agriculture of banana trees, taro, etc...
                                Im very intersted in growing corn, pole beans and squash together. Ive
                                heard that the corn must be planted a week before or else it will get
                                smothered. and then beans and squash together.
                                I guess for any type of natural farming it is best to get seed from
                                other natural farmers as it is used to being sown naked etc...
                                I will try to contact Will Bonsall but Im already tied up this year
                                with a certificate in horticulture from the brooklyn botanical garden.
                                im sure I would learn alot more with will. I would have to decide
                                because its improtant for me to at least have a little certificate
                                that recognizes me as something. gives credit in the eyes of society.
                                Also check out the CASE STUDIES at Zeri.org
                                very very interesting. you MUST check it out.

                                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
                                wrote:

> [...]
                                > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Jamie Nicol"
                                > <jamienicol@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Dear Kikoricco, I think your question: 'How to start farming in a
                                > field'?' is just to the point.
                                > >
                                > > Fukuoka suggests scything the existing vegetation of a field as
                                > close to the ground as possible before broadcasting the seedballs (or
                                > just seed). I've tried this and have to say little seems to
                                > germinate. But then Fukuoka says it requires several years (and
                                > several seedballings) to make significant change. And we should not
                                > forget that his rice/barley succession, direct-seeded into green
                                > manure did not evolve from a rough field, but one that had been
                                > carefully tended for hundreds of years.
                                > >
                                > > But another question arises from the above, and that is 'What is it
                                > we want when we start farming a field?'
                                > >
                                > > When we answer this question for ourselves the actual practice of

                              • Bart
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                                  Maybe we should consider yields rather in terms of minerals, vitamins
                                  and general nutritional value per suare meter, instead of volume and
                                  weight. It appears that organic vegetables have up to 100% more
                                  mineral content (preliminary studies cited in Paul Pitchford's
                                  "Healing with whole foods"). So in terms of mineral/vitamin/etc.
                                  yield, what at first sight (volume and weight) appears to be a lesser
                                  yield, may in fact be a far superior one.

                                  Volume and weight are really irrelevant; the ability of produce to
                                  sustain healthy life is the real issue. Looking at it that way,
                                  natural or veganic farming has a far superior yield compared to
                                  chemical farming.
                                  Also comparing input of energy and "products" (chemical or not) with
                                  output, natural and organic farming have a much higher relative yield,
                                  they are much more efficient.

                                  I myself experienced very clearly that I needed to eat much less
                                  volume and weight once I began to eat only organic food. It has a much
                                  higher nutritional "density", so to speak.

                                  So forget about producing only 80% compared with chemical neighbours,
                                  if you compare input-output-efficiency and nutritional "density", the
                                  neighbour looses spectacularly... It's even worse than that: some (or
                                  all) of chemically produced foods are even non-foods in reality,
                                  industrially grown cabbages for instance have been reported to cause
                                  infant death (intoxication by nitrates). Who cares for the chemical
                                  neighbours' nitrate bomb disguised as cabbage anyway?

                                  Bart
                                • Tradingpost
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                                    Couldn't agree more about the nutritional density factor. However I do
                                    believe the 80% figure allows the industrial farming sector to frame the
                                    debate, and it's highly misleading. Studies have shown diversified small
                                    farms to be far more productive overall than industrial farms when total
                                    output is taken into account instead of a single cash crop mechanically
                                    farmed with chemicals.

                                    paul tradingpost@...

                                    --Henry David Thoreau
                                    >Maybe we should consider yields rather in terms of minerals, vitamins
                                    >and general nutritional value per suare meter, instead of volume and
                                    >weight. It appears that organic vegetables have up to 100% more
                                    >mineral content (preliminary studies cited in Paul Pitchford's
                                    >"Healing with whole foods"). So in terms of mineral/vitamin/etc.
                                    >yield, what at first sight (volume and weight) appears to be a lesser
                                    >yield, may in fact be a far superior one.
                                    >
                                    >Volume and weight are really irrelevant; the ability of produce to
                                    >sustain healthy life is the real issue. Looking at it that way,
                                    >natural or veganic farming has a far superior yield compared to
                                    >chemical farming.
                                    >Also comparing input of energy and "products" (chemical or not) with
                                    >output, natural and organic farming have a much higher relative yield,
                                    >they are much more efficient.
                                    >
                                    >I myself experienced very clearly that I needed to eat much less
                                    >volume and weight once I began to eat only organic food. It has a much
                                    >higher nutritional "density", so to speak.
                                    >
                                    >So forget about producing only 80% compared with chemical neighbours,
                                    >if you compare input-output-efficiency and nutritional "density", the
                                    >neighbour looses spectacularly... It's even worse than that: some (or
                                    >all) of chemically produced foods are even non-foods in reality,
                                    >industrially grown cabbages for instance have been reported to cause
                                    >infant death (intoxication by nitrates). Who cares for the chemical
                                    >neighbours' nitrate bomb disguised as cabbage anyway?
                                    >
                                    >Bart
                                  • Tradingpost
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                                      Have to throw in these references about farm size and efficiency.

                                      paul tradingpost@...
                                      -----------------

                                      While the “bigger is better” myth is generally accepted, it is a
                                      fallacy. Numerous reports have found that smaller farms are actually more
                                      efficient than larger “industrial” farms. These studies demonstrate
                                      that when farms get larger, the costs of production per unit often
                                      increase, because larger acreage requires more expensive machinery and more
                                      chemicals to protect crops.
                                      from http://www.keepmainefree.org/myth3.html

                                      THE MYTH:
                                      Industrial agriculture is efficient.
                                      THE TRUTH:
                                      Small farms produce more agricultural output per unit area than large
                                      farms. Moreover, larger, less diverse farms require far more mechanical and
                                      chemical inputs. These ever increasing inputs are devastating to the
                                      environment and make these farms far less efficient than smaller, more
                                      sustainable farms.

                                      Proponents of industrial agriculture claim that “bigger is better” when
                                      it comes to food production. They argue that the larger the farm, the more
                                      efficient it is. They admit that these huge corporate farms mean the loss
                                      of family farms and rural communities, but they maintain that this is
                                      simply the inevitable cost of efficient food production. And agribusiness
                                      advocates don’t just promote big farms; they also push big technology.
                                      They typically ridicule small-scale farm technology as grossly inefficient
                                      while heralding intensive use of chemicals, massive machinery,
                                      computerization and genetic engineering - whose affordability and
                                      implementation are only feasible on large farms. The marriage of huge farms
                                      with “mega-technology” is sold to the public as the basic requirement
                                      for efficient food production. Argue against size and technology - the two
                                      staples of modern agriculture - and, they insist, you're undermining
                                      production efficiency and endangering the world's food supply.

                                      While the “bigger is better” myth is generally accepted, it is a
                                      fallacy. Numerous reports have found that smaller farms are actually more
                                      efficient than larger “industrial” farms. These studies demonstrate
                                      that when farms get larger, the costs of production per unit often
                                      increase, because larger acreage requires more expensive machinery and more
                                      chemicals to protect crops. In particular, a 1989 study by the U.S.
                                      National Research Council assessed the efficiency of large industrial food
                                      production systems compared with alternative methods. The conclusion was
                                      exactly contrary to the “bigger is better” myth: “Well-managed
                                      alternative farming systems nearly always use less synthetic chemical
                                      pesticides, fertilizers, and antibiotics per unit of production than
                                      conventional farms. Reduced use of these inputs lowers production costs and
                                      lessens agriculture’s potential for adverse environmental and health
                                      effects without decreasing - and in some cases increasing - per acre crop
                                      yields and the productivity of livestock management systems.”

                                      Output Versus Yield

                                      Agribusiness and economists alike tend to use “yield” measurements when
                                      calculating the productivity of farms. Yield can be defined as the
                                      production per unit of a single crop. For example, a corn farm will be
                                      judged by how many metric tons of corn are produced per acre. More often
                                      than not, the highest yield of a single crop like corn can be best achieved
                                      by planting it alone on an industrial scale in the fields of corporate
                                      farms. These large “monocultures” have become endemic to modern
                                      agriculture for the simple reason that they are the easiest to manage with
                                      heavy machinery and intensive chemical use. It is the single-crop yields of
                                      these farms that are used as the basis for the “bigger is better” myth,
                                      and it is true that the highest yield of a single crop is often achieved
                                      through industrial monocultures.

                                      Smaller farms rarely can compete with this “monoculture” single-crop
                                      yield. They tend to plant crop mixtures, a method known as
                                      “intercropping.” Additionally, where single-crop monocultures have
                                      empty “weed” spaces, small farms use these spaces for crop planting.
                                      They are also more likely to rotate or combine crops and livestock, with
                                      the resulting manure performing the important function of replenishing soil
                                      fertility. These small-scale integrated farms produce far more per unit
                                      area than large farms. Though the yield per unit area of one crop - corn,
                                      for example - may be lower, the total output per unit area for small farms,
                                      often composed of more than a dozen crops and numerous animal products, is
                                      virtually always higher than that of larger farms.

                                      Clearly, if we are to compare accurately the productivity of small and
                                      large farms, we should use total agricultural output, balanced against
                                      total farm inputs and “externalities,” rather than single-crop yield as
                                      our measurement principle. Total output is defined as the sum of everything
                                      a small farmer produces - various grains, fruits, vegetables, fodder, and
                                      animal products - and is the real benchmark of efficiency in farming.
                                      Moreover, productivity measurements should also take into account total
                                      input costs, including large-machinery and chemical use, which often are
                                      left out of the equation in the yield efficiency claims.

                                      Once the flawed yield measurement system is discarded, the “bigger is
                                      better” myth is shattered. As summarized by the food policy expert Peter
                                      Rosset, “Surveying the data, we indeed find that small farms almost
                                      always produce far more agricultural output per unit area than larger
                                      farms. This is now widely recognized by agricultural economists across the
                                      political spectrum, as the inverse relationship between farm size and
                                      output.” He notes that even the World Bank now advocates redistributing
                                      land to small farmers in the third world as a step toward increasing
                                      overall agricultural productivity.

                                      Government studies underscore this “inverse relationship.” According to
                                      a 1992 U.S. Agricultural Census report, relatively smaller farm sizes are 2
                                      to 10 times more productive per unit acre than larger ones. The smallest
                                      farms surveyed in the study, those of 27 acres or less, are more than ten
                                      times as productive (in dollar output per acre) than large farms (6,000
                                      acres or more), and extremely small farms (4 acres or less) can be over a
                                      hundred times as productive.
                                      ------------------

                                      Small-scale farming is as old as agriculture itself. One study of 15
                                      countries, primarily in Asia and Africa, found that per-acre output on
                                      small farms can be as much as four to five times higher than on large ones.
                                      Russia, over the years, has often produced 30% to 50% of its food on
                                      household plots representing as little as 3% to 5% of all Russian farmland.
                                      The productivity of small-scale farms is also being widely recognized by
                                      agricultural economists who call it the “inverse relationship between
                                      farm size and productivity.”
                                      http://www.growbiointensive.org/grow_need.html
                                      ---------------------

                                      "However, by managing more “intensively” the new farmers are able to
                                      net far more profit from each dollar of sales. They reduce their costs of
                                      purchased inputs through diversification, increase the value of their
                                      products through niche markets, focus on the things that they do best, and
                                      work together to do the things that they can’t do as well alone. As a
                                      result, their net return per dollar of sales may be 40 to 50 percent rather
                                      than the 15 to 20 percent for a conventional farm. Thus, the net returns
                                      on a farm with $100,000 in annual sales may be $40,000 to $50,000 and even
                                      a farm with $50,000 in annual sales may net $20,000 to $25,000 to support
                                      the small farm family. The bottom line is that 10 acres, intensively
                                      managed to produce high valued products, may generate more profits than
                                      1,000 acres used to produce bulk agricultural commodities - corn, cattle,
                                      wheat, cotton, etc. Many small farms make some fairly big profits."
                                      Farming for Profit and Quality of Life, John Ikerd
                                      http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/faculty/jikerd/papers/SFTkeynote.html
                                      --------------
                                      "“Get big or get out” is a refrain with which American farmers are all
                                      too familiar. Small farms are seen as being too small to survive, and
                                      thus, unworthy of serious consideration. For example, government programs,
                                      including publicly funded research and education, tend to focus on large,
                                      commercial agricultural operations as the future of American agriculture.
                                      In fact, the opposite is true. Most large, commercial farming today are
                                      too big to survive. Small farms are the future of farming in America. "
                                      Many Farms Are Too Big To Survive, John Ikerd
                                      http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/faculty/jikerd/papers/SFT-Too%20Big.htm
                                      -----------

                                      On 2/2/2007 at 8:10 AM Tradingpost wrote:

                                      >Couldn't agree more about the nutritional density factor. However I do
                                      >believe the 80% figure allows the industrial farming sector to frame the
                                      >debate, and it's highly misleading. Studies have shown diversified small
                                      >farms to be far more productive overall than industrial farms when total
                                      >output is taken into account instead of a single cash crop mechanically
                                      >farmed with chemicals.
                                      >

                                      >paul tradingpost@...
                                      >
                                      >Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
                                      >--Henry David Thoreau

                                    • Jamie Nicol
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                                        Dear All, in an attempt to broaden the discussion of 'success' and to avoid falling into 'esoteric' chatter, I thought some words of Fukuoka would be pragmatic:

                                        " To achieve a humanity and a society founded on non-action, man must look back over everything he has done and rid himself one by one of the false visions and concepts that permeate him and his society. This is what the 'do-nothing' movement is all about. Natural Farming can be seen as one branch of this movement. Human knowledge and effort expand and grow increasingly complex and wasteful without limit. We need to halt this expansion, to converge, simplify, and reduce our knowledge and effort. This is in keeping with the laws of nature. Natural Farming is more than just a revolution in agricultural techniques. It is the practical foundation of a spiritual movement, of a revolution to change the way we live."

                                        Obviously, the tenor of these words seems to suggest that NF and 'success' might not be to do with yield, qualitative or quantitative.

                                        Jamie
                                        Souscayrous

                                        Couldn't agree more about the nutritional density factor. However I do
                                        believe the 80% figure allows the industrial farming sector to frame the
                                        debate, and it's highly misleading. Studies have shown diversified small
                                        farms to be far more productive overall than industrial farms when total
                                        output is taken into account instead of a single cash crop mechanically
                                        farmed with chemicals.

                                        paul tradingpost@...

                                        --Henry David Thoreau
                                        >Maybe we should consider yields rather in terms of minerals, vitamins
                                        >and general nutritional value per suare meter, instead of volume and
                                        >weight. It appears that organic vegetables have up to 100% more
                                        >mineral content (preliminary studies cited in Paul Pitchford's
                                        >"Healing with whole foods"). So in terms of mineral/vitamin/etc.
                                        >yield, what at first sight (volume and weight) appears to be a lesser
                                        >yield, may in fact be a far superior one.
                                        >
                                        >Volume and weight are really irrelevant; the ability of produce to
                                        >sustain healthy life is the real issue. Looking at it that way,
                                        >natural or veganic farming has a far superior yield compared to
                                        >chemical farming.
                                        >Also comparing input of energy and "products" (chemical or not) with
                                        >output, natural and organic farming have a much higher relative yield,
                                        >they are much more efficient.
                                        >
                                        >I myself experienced very clearly that I needed to eat much less
                                        >volume and weight once I began to eat only organic food. It has a much
                                        >higher nutritional "density", so to speak.
                                        >
                                        >So forget about producing only 80% compared with chemical neighbours,
                                        >if you compare input-output-efficiency and nutritional "density", the
                                        >neighbour looses spectacularly... It's even worse than that: some (or
                                        >all) of chemically produced foods are even non-foods in reality,
                                        >industrially grown cabbages for instance have been reported to cause
                                        >infant death (intoxication by nitrates). Who cares for the chemical
                                        >neighbours' nitrate bomb disguised as cabbage anyway?
                                        >
                                        >Bart

                                      • Tradingpost
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Feb 2, 2007
                                          High yield and sustainability are not mutually exclusive. To agree that you
                                          have to sacrifice one for the other gives up the field to the "how will we
                                          feed the world" agribusiness spin. Serious researchers and growers have
                                          shown higher outputs from small areas grown organically. We know healthy
                                          plants producing well from healthy soil are higher brix and taste better.
                                          And I'm not talking about some weird hybrids either.

                                          paul tradingpost@...

                                          --Henry David Thoreau

                                          On 2/2/2007 at 4:52 PM Jamie Nicol wrote:

                                          >Dear All, in an attempt to broaden the discussion of 'success' and to
                                          >avoid falling into 'esoteric' chatter, I thought some words of Fukuoka
                                          >would be pragmatic:
                                          >
                                          > " To achieve a humanity and a society founded on non-action, man must
                                          >look back over everything he has done and rid himself one by one of the
                                          >false visions and concepts that permeate him and his society. This is what
                                          >the 'do-nothing' movement is all about. Natural Farming can be seen as one
                                          >branch of this movement. Human knowledge and effort expand and grow
                                          >increasingly complex and wasteful without limit. We need to halt this
                                          >expansion, to converge, simplify, and reduce our knowledge and effort.
                                          >This is in keeping with the laws of nature. Natural Farming is more than
                                          >just a revolution in agricultural techniques. It is the practical
                                          >foundation of a spiritual movement, of a revolution to change the way we
                                          >live."
                                          >
                                          >Obviously, the tenor of these words seems to suggest that NF and 'success'
                                          >might not be to do with yield, qualitative or quantitative.
                                          >
                                          >Jamie
                                          >Souscayrous

                                        • Bart
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                                            I agree wholeheartedly that this is the real issue of natural farming,
                                            and that in natural farming yield is not a goal - in a sense, there is
                                            no goal. Thank you for pointing this out.

                                            However, let's be careful not to get trapped in Nothingness (which is
                                            one of the diseases of zen). If my industrial farmer neighbour comes
                                            to me and tells me, "hey, did you see the sun came up in the west this
                                            morning", I will tell him that this is not true, i.e. that this is not
                                            the right way to use these words. I know there is really neither east
                                            nor west, that these are concepts or illusions, and that the sun
                                            (another concept) doesn't care, and so on. However, if you open your
                                            mouth and use words, you should use them correctly.
                                            In the same way, if he comes to me and tells me "you and your natural
                                            farming, your yield is pitifull", I think it is important not to let
                                            ourselves be trapped in his incorrect (selective) use of the term
                                            "yield", only referring to weight/volume and making abstraction of
                                            many other important factors.
                                            Or we can just smile to him of course, but I for one know that if my
                                            smile doesn't come profoundly from the heart, I better argue :)

                                            This "industrial high yield"-lie is a stick behind the door with which
                                            organic producers/consumers/sellers are often beaten on the head -
                                            with their own full cooperation, choosing to go along with the narrow
                                            weight/volume-perspective and not finding an adequate response.

                                            But again, I do think it is very iportant to remember, time after
                                            time, that he real issue in natural farming is doing nothing.

                                            Bart

                                            wrote:

                                            > Dear All, in an attempt to broaden the discussion of 'success' and
                                            to avoid falling into 'esoteric' chatter, I thought some words of
                                            Fukuoka would be pragmatic:

                                            > " To achieve a humanity and a society founded on non-action, man
                                            must look back over everything he has done and rid himself one by one
                                            of the false visions and concepts that permeate him and his society.
                                            This is what the 'do-nothing' movement is all about. Natural Farming
                                            can be seen as one branch of this movement. Human knowledge and effort
                                            expand and grow increasingly complex and wasteful without limit. We
                                            need to halt this expansion, to converge, simplify, and reduce our
                                            knowledge and effort. This is in keeping with the laws of nature.
                                            Natural Farming is more than just a revolution in agricultural
                                            techniques. It is the practical foundation of a spiritual movement, of
                                            a revolution to change the way we live."

                                            > Obviously, the tenor of these words seems to suggest that NF and
                                            'success' might not be to do with yield, qualitative or quantitative.

                                            > Jamie
                                            > Souscayrous

                                          • Andrew E Fister
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Feb 4, 2007
                                              The only time an argument exists between natural farming and conventional
                                              farming is when I am having it in my mind. If I am arguing (making one
                                              view good and another view wrong) that's when I get trapped in the
                                              illusion of concepts. If I make a distinction between "nothingness" and
                                              "somethingness" as if they are states of mind I could be trapped in, I am
                                              also trapped. Once I start having this petty argument with my neighbor, I
                                              am indeed trapped. Unless of course I also know the trap is an illusion,
                                              in which case I can play and be in love with my conventional farming
                                              neighbor.

                                              If natural farming is about how "to do" and how "not to do" then I am not
                                              doing it and not - not doing it.

                                              Andrew Fister
                                              Wandafar Sanctuary
                                              Glasgow, KY

                                              wrote:

                                              > Dear All, in an attempt to broaden the discussion of 'success' and
                                              to avoid falling into 'esoteric' chatter, I thought some words of
                                              Fukuoka would be pragmatic:

                                              > " To achieve a humanity and a society founded on non-action, man
                                              must look back over everything he has done and rid himself one by one
                                              of the false visions and concepts that permeate him and his society.
                                              This is what the 'do-nothing' movement is all about. Natural Farming
                                              can be seen as one branch of this movement. Human knowledge and effort
                                              expand and grow increasingly complex and wasteful without limit. We
                                              need to halt this expansion, to converge, simplify, and reduce our
                                              knowledge and effort. This is in keeping with the laws of nature.
                                              Natural Farming is more than just a revolution in agricultural
                                              techniques. It is the practical foundation of a spiritual movement, of
                                              a revolution to change the way we live."

                                              > Obviously, the tenor of these words seems to suggest that NF and
                                              'success' might not be to do with yield, qualitative or quantitative.

                                              > Jamie
                                              > Souscayrous

                                            • rajuktitus
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Dec 17, 2008
                                                Dear Charie,
                                                This is working for me i opened this page send by you write mail to
                                                group
                                                fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com.
                                                Thanks
                                                Raju
                                              • grannis04
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 13, 2009
                                                  Greetings from Maine. I am a new member to this site having arrived
                                                  here from the fukuoka web site. I have been experimenting with natural
                                                  farming/ gardening for about three years. I have been an organic
                                                  gardener for forty years and now I am starting over and I'm completely
                                                  amazed! why did I not see this before. It is the Mahayana aspect of
                                                  natural farming that rings true to me. Last season we grew a corn crop
                                                  "Abenaki", a flint type from native american origin, of course. With
                                                  the high fuel prices last spring I said to myself, "grow a high input
                                                  crop such as corn and do it without fossil fuel input". I planted in
                                                  an orchard that was mixed grasses, clover, etc. I close cut with a
                                                  hand sythe and then covered rows with mulch in preparation for
                                                  planting. After two weeks I pulled back the mulch and pressed corn
                                                  seed ( saved from previous years crop) on to the soil. I covered the
                                                  seed with a light cover,Half inch, of finished compost. after
                                                  germination I applied cut grasses from the paths to the plants.
                                                  Thinned to one foot spacing then I top dressed lightly with chicken
                                                  litter and grass cuttings, this was done about three times during the
                                                  growing season. Every time I looked at my corn I would say," You guys
                                                  are A-Maize-ing!". The end of the story is that we are eating our own
                                                  cornbread made from the corn. The corn produced approx. 25 lbs. from
                                                  approx. 150' of row space. My next project is to see if I can produce
                                                  enough corn to supply my family and my chickens.