Re: [fukuoka_farming] Seeking natural farmers in Asia and Oceania

  • Rex Teague
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2002
      On 16 May 02, Kyle Holzhueter wrote:

      > I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
      > Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

      If you are visiting New Zealand Kyle you are welcome to stop-over at
      our (family) patch of paradise. However I wouldn't make the trip just
      to visit us as our methods are not very well developed at this stage.

      > I teach English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on
      > the weekends I work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and
      > rice farmer. Mr. Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr.
      > Kawaguchifs method. Mr. Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and
      > cover crops for weed control and green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and
      > I would like to try Mr. Fukuokafs method of direct seeding
      > no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
      > production.

      Because you are nearly there a visit to Fukuoka's farm would be very
      productive and there will be several queries to relay from listees
      especially concerning the (re)publishing of his books. ;-)

      It will be most appreciated if you elaborate on the
      Kawaguchi/Hasimoto method eg size of beds, types of cover crops
      and vegetables, etc.

      > I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in Asia
      > and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia
      > and Oceania would be greatly appreciated.

      There is a good amount of "organic" farming/gardening in NZ, some
      "biodynamic" but very little "natural". Although Tim doesn't mention
      Fukuoka in the article at:
      http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastissues/JulyAug00/avoc.htm
      he has told me Fukuoka was a major influence in developing his
      avocado orchard.

      http://www.wwoof.co.nz maybe an option for you?

      Thanks... Rex
    • burt levy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2002
        --Go to Mr.Fukuokas' farm on the island of Shikoku. If
        you do that then it would be interesting to hear of
        your experience. Good luck.- Kyle Holzhueter
        <kyleholzhueter@...> wrote:
        > I would like to contact people practicing natural
        > farming in Asia and
        > Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New
        > Zealand, etc. I teach
        > English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school
        > and on the weekends I
        > work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and
        > rice farmer. Mr.
        > Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr.
        > Kawaguchi�fs method. Mr.
        > Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops
        > for weed control and
        > green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try
        > Mr. Fukuoka�fs method
        > of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession
        > and semi-wild vegetable
        > production. I would like to visit people practicing
        > natural farming in Asia
        > and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural
        > farming in Asia and
        > Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Kyle Holzhueter

        LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
        http://launch.yahoo.com
      • Rajaram
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2002
          we (my wife and i) are just starting out to do natural farming on a two
          acre plot in a remote village in south india and will keep you posted on
          how things are going. meanwhile, there are a number of organic farmers in
          india, but sadly not many natural farmers. one of them is cherkady
          ramachandra rao near udupi, karnataka, india who i am told has been doing
          wonders on a one hectare plot for the past four decades...one, i have
          visited near kollegal, karnataka, owned by kailash murthy grows mango,
          drumstick, areca, mulberry and coconut. not much other variety.
          rajaram

          At 12:58 AM 5/16/02 +0000, you wrote:
          >I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
          >Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I teach
          >English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on the weekends I
          >work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and rice farmer. Mr.
          >Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr. Kawaguchifs method. Mr.
          >Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops for weed control and
          >green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try Mr. Fukuokafs method
          >of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
          >production. I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in Asia
          >and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia and
          >Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          >Sincerely,
          >Kyle Holzhueter

        • Kyle Holzhueter
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
            Rajaram,

            Thank you for contacting me. I will let you know how my plans develop. Do
            you know if the Friends Rural Centre at Rasulia in Hoshangabad district,
            Madhya Pradesh is still practicing natural farming?

            Kyle

            >we (my wife and i) are just starting out to do natural farming on a two
            >acre plot in a remote village in south india and will keep you posted on
            >how things are going. meanwhile, there are a number of organic farmers in
            >india, but sadly not many natural farmers. one of them is cherkady
            >ramachandra rao near udupi, karnataka, india who i am told has been doing
            >wonders on a one hectare plot for the past four decades...one, i have
            >visited near kollegal, karnataka, owned by kailash murthy grows mango,
            >drumstick, areca, mulberry and coconut. not much other variety.
            > rajaram
            >
            >At 12:58 AM 5/16/02 +0000, you wrote:
            > >I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
            > >Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I
            >teach
            > >English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on the weekends
            > >work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and rice farmer. Mr.
            > >Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr. Kawaguchi�fs method. Mr.
            > >Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops for weed control and
            > >green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try Mr. Fukuoka�fs
            >method
            > >of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild
            >vegetable
            > >production. I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in
            >Asia
            > >and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia and
            > >Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
            > >
            > >Sincerely,
            > >Kyle Holzhueter

          • emilia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
              hello Kyle,
              could u please tell us more about Mr. Hashimoto's work?
              and do u live far from Fukuoka-san? would perhaps be possible for u to meet
              him, his family in relation to the future of his work, his books?