Re: [fukuoka_farming] Digest Number 1293

  • Sylvain Picker
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      Thank to all of you that visited the now extinct GAIAVOX.COM. All the info
      will be put on a new blog at http://gaiavox.blogspot.com/
      I am still looking for a farm of about 10 ha of arable land. The most
      freaking thing about it is making the business plan. How can we set up a
      commercial system where you do not end working 42 hours a day to pay the
      debt ?
      Using an ordinary tractor driving over a three row two meter bed (including
      wheel tracks) at an average of of three vegetables/meter and a two crop
      sucession over the season it gives us 800 pallets of 30 boxs (36 vegetables
      per box).
      At $25 a Box it gives us $750 a Pallet so we can sell $600,000 worth of
      vegetables in a season with 10 ha using a simple tractor an standards
      weeding tools. But you have to work between 37 and 56 hours a day to do
      that.
      Basically that's what still bugs me in this business plan.
      The other think that bugs me is weed control. I dream of invading the whole
      10 ha with some weedy herbs to get a crop at the same time. That would be so
      easy. The only problem with that perfect aproach is the enormous amount of
      seeds needed. And broadcast seeding is such a gambling. Frost seeding on
      clean firm ground is very efficient, so when it's done with small seeds it
      work all the times. Turnips, bread poppy, clover, dandelion, lucerne,
      alkekenge, savory, dill, calendula, fennel are easy. Corn and peas you have
      to push the seeds in the ground. The you have to harvest and ship 100
      pallets. What a headache.
      But at least we will have fresh vegs to eat and flowers to enlighten our
      senses.