Seeking natural farmers in Asia and Oceania

  • Kyle Holzhueter
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2002
      I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
      Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I teach
      English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on the weekends I
      work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and rice farmer. Mr.
      Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr. Kawaguchi�fs method. Mr.
      Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops for weed control and
      green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try Mr. Fukuoka�fs method
      of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
      production. I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in Asia
      and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia and
      Oceania would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Kyle Holzhueter

    • Rex Teague
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2002
        On 16 May 02, Kyle Holzhueter wrote:

        > I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
        > Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

        If you are visiting New Zealand Kyle you are welcome to stop-over at
        our (family) patch of paradise. However I wouldn't make the trip just
        to visit us as our methods are not very well developed at this stage.

        > I teach English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on
        > the weekends I work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and
        > rice farmer. Mr. Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr.
        > Kawaguchifs method. Mr. Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and
        > cover crops for weed control and green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and
        > I would like to try Mr. Fukuokafs method of direct seeding
        > no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
        > production.

        Because you are nearly there a visit to Fukuoka's farm would be very
        productive and there will be several queries to relay from listees
        especially concerning the (re)publishing of his books. ;-)

        It will be most appreciated if you elaborate on the
        Kawaguchi/Hasimoto method eg size of beds, types of cover crops
        and vegetables, etc.

        > I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in Asia
        > and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia
        > and Oceania would be greatly appreciated.

        There is a good amount of "organic" farming/gardening in NZ, some
        "biodynamic" but very little "natural". Although Tim doesn't mention
        Fukuoka in the article at:
        http://www.soil-health.org.nz/pastissues/JulyAug00/avoc.htm
        he has told me Fukuoka was a major influence in developing his
        avocado orchard.

        http://www.wwoof.co.nz maybe an option for you?

        Thanks... Rex
      • burt levy
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2002
          --Go to Mr.Fukuokas' farm on the island of Shikoku. If
          you do that then it would be interesting to hear of
          your experience. Good luck.- Kyle Holzhueter
          <kyleholzhueter@...> wrote:
          > I would like to contact people practicing natural
          > farming in Asia and
          > Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New
          > Zealand, etc. I teach
          > English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school
          > and on the weekends I
          > work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and
          > rice farmer. Mr.
          > Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr.
          > Kawaguchi�fs method. Mr.
          > Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops
          > for weed control and
          > green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try
          > Mr. Fukuoka�fs method
          > of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession
          > and semi-wild vegetable
          > production. I would like to visit people practicing
          > natural farming in Asia
          > and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural
          > farming in Asia and
          > Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Kyle Holzhueter

          LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
          http://launch.yahoo.com
        • Rajaram
          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2002
            we (my wife and i) are just starting out to do natural farming on a two
            acre plot in a remote village in south india and will keep you posted on
            how things are going. meanwhile, there are a number of organic farmers in
            india, but sadly not many natural farmers. one of them is cherkady
            ramachandra rao near udupi, karnataka, india who i am told has been doing
            wonders on a one hectare plot for the past four decades...one, i have
            visited near kollegal, karnataka, owned by kailash murthy grows mango,
            drumstick, areca, mulberry and coconut. not much other variety.
            rajaram

            At 12:58 AM 5/16/02 +0000, you wrote:
            >I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
            >Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I teach
            >English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on the weekends I
            >work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and rice farmer. Mr.
            >Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr. Kawaguchifs method. Mr.
            >Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops for weed control and
            >green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try Mr. Fukuokafs method
            >of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild vegetable
            >production. I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in Asia
            >and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia and
            >Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            >Sincerely,
            >Kyle Holzhueter

          • Kyle Holzhueter
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
              Rajaram,

              Thank you for contacting me. I will let you know how my plans develop. Do
              you know if the Friends Rural Centre at Rasulia in Hoshangabad district,
              Madhya Pradesh is still practicing natural farming?

              Kyle

              >we (my wife and i) are just starting out to do natural farming on a two
              >acre plot in a remote village in south india and will keep you posted on
              >how things are going. meanwhile, there are a number of organic farmers in
              >india, but sadly not many natural farmers. one of them is cherkady
              >ramachandra rao near udupi, karnataka, india who i am told has been doing
              >wonders on a one hectare plot for the past four decades...one, i have
              >visited near kollegal, karnataka, owned by kailash murthy grows mango,
              >drumstick, areca, mulberry and coconut. not much other variety.
              > rajaram
              >
              >At 12:58 AM 5/16/02 +0000, you wrote:
              > >I would like to contact people practicing natural farming in Asia and
              > >Oceania, i.e. India, Thailand, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I
              >teach
              > >English in Wakayama-Prefecture, Japan. After school and on the weekends
              > >work with Mr. Hashimoto, an organic vegetable and rice farmer. Mr.
              > >Hashimoto has one no-till field following Mr. Kawaguchi�fs method. Mr.
              > >Kawaguchi uses permanent raised beds and cover crops for weed control and
              > >green manure. Mr. Hashimoto and I would like to try Mr. Fukuoka�fs
              >method
              > >of direct seeding no-tillage rice-barley succession and semi-wild
              >vegetable
              > >production. I would like to visit people practicing natural farming in
              >Asia
              > >and/or Oceania. Any information regarding natural farming in Asia and
              > >Oceania would be greatly appreciated.
              > >
              > >Sincerely,
              > >Kyle Holzhueter

            • emilia
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2002
                hello Kyle,
                could u please tell us more about Mr. Hashimoto's work?
                and do u live far from Fukuoka-san? would perhaps be possible for u to meet
                him, his family in relation to the future of his work, his books?