A question on pests.

  • RobinFern�ndez-Medina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2002
      Hello Everyone,

      I would like to hear of how everyone combats pests on crops and other vegetables organically. I am also interested in learning more about plants guilds and any good example you can have if you worked with these. Look forward to hearing from you.

      Robin

      Malaga, Spain

    • Chris Sawyer
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2002
        "Robin Fernández-Medina" wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I would like to hear of how everyone combats pests on crops and other vegetables organically. I am also interested in learning more about plants guilds and any good example you can have if you worked with these. Look forward to hearing from you.
        >
        > Robin
        >
        > Malaga, Spain

        Robin,
        That answer would take a book. Generally we use beneficial insects. Let the pest be and sooner than later it will attract the necessary predator. Those that don't require either a Bt treatment or the release of the correct insects needed to combat
        the unbalanced state. Sometimes too much nitrogen will make a plant weak and prone to attack even though it looks like a really healthy plant. Trap cropping works wonders and some insects as Jap beetles can be trapped and disposed of.

        Chris
        www.jakesfarm.com
        Certified Organic
      • RobinFernández-Medina
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2002
          Thankyou Chris much appreciated. What about mealy bugs? Any idea about where they come from and how to control them? I have even used rubbing alchohol to control them when It got too much. Just physically rub branches and leaves and hope they dissapear.
          Robin

          Chris Sawyer <css@...> wrote:

          "Robin Fern�ndez-Medina" wrote:

          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I would like to hear of how everyone combats pests on crops and other vegetables organically. I am also interested in learning more about plants guilds and any good example you can have if you worked with these. Look forward to hearing from you.
          >
          > Robin
          >
          > Malaga, Spain

          Robin,
          That answer would take a book. Generally we use beneficial insects. Let the pest be and sooner than later it will attract the necessary predator. Those that don't require either a Bt treatment or the release of the correct insects needed to combat
          the unbalanced state. Sometimes too much nitrogen will make a plant weak and prone to attack even though it looks like a really healthy plant. Trap cropping works wonders and some insects as Jap beetles can be trapped and disposed of.

          Chris
          www.jakesfarm.com
          Certified Organic

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT