Re: natural farming in Mexico

  • onestrawresolution
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
      Dear Bart, it is good to hear from you again and your continued
      commitment to natural farming. Your interest in zen mirrors my own:
      having spent some years enthusiastically following Fukuoka's work
      here in France I realised I was still far from understanding what he
      was attempting to say and an appreciation of zen has helped me
      deepen my involvement.

      I would be very interested to hear of any natural farming projects
      around the world involving individuals, couples or groups looking to
      create a natural farming community. Please email me offlist at one-
      straw@...

      I do not have the web access I once had and can only occasionally
      follow this list, but would like to take this opportunity to express
      my continued appreciation of Jean-Claude's always interesting words
      and the contributions of other Fukuokan's old and new.

      Jamie
      Souscayrous

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bartovan@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > we are a Belgian-Mexican couple of 34 with a son of 18 months,
      > settling down in Mexico on a small farm. Well, that's the plan at
      > least :) .
      > We spent a year and a half in the Mexican state Michoacan looking
      for
      > a spot and tasting the simple, rural working life - tastes great! -
      > but for practical reasons we had to come back to Belgium where we
      plan
      > on staying some 2 years before really buying a farm in Mexico.
      > We know we can do it, and we know how to do it, but we did become
      > aware of the fact that it is almost necessary to find some people
      who
      > are walking the same road, as neighbours or friends closeby (not
      like
      > a tight community in our view).
      > So we are very interested in contacting people with whome we share
      an
      > alike or compatible cosmovision. Ours would be zen-buddhist (for
      this
      > reason we like to live reasonably close to a zen center, like John
      > Tesshin Sanderson's "Zen Center de Mexico") and, for what's
      concerned
      > things practical, living a simple, hardworking life on an
      ecological
      > (fukuoka/permaculture) small farm in rural Mexico, preferably in
      the
      > state of Michoacan (for reasons of climate and forementioned
      closeness
      > to zen in Mexico City).
      >
      > Please do not hesitate to contact us if you think this would apply
      > you or to some friend or acquintance...
      >
      > thank you,
      > Bart and Yuri

    • Bart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 12, 2007
        Hello Allan,

        thanks for responding! When we get back to Mexico, we'll contact you,
        it would be nice to meet indeed, and the same goes for your friends.
        ALthough I have to say that the idea of finding many people in Mexico
        with a similar vision is hard to believe for us; there are already
        very few people with a serious commitment in a serious spiritual or
        religious practice (which we think is indispensible if you want to do
        something similar to natural farming); and of those few, there is only
        a very small minority into farming...

        But this aside, very glad to e-meet you, and hope to see you soon
        in Mexico,

        Bart & Yuri
      • torskel87
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2007
          Hi Bart an yuri
          It is so nice to read that you are interested in zen and starting a
          natural farm, I am trying to do the same but in Ecuador, I am really
          really interested in the prectice of zen and I am also starting a
          natural farm in the middle of the highlands.I already started the farm
          alone, but I didn´t like to work alone so now I am trying to set up a
          coomunity, where I would like to unify a zen mind and working with
          natural farming.
          Can be really interesting share ideas, words, thoughts, anythinng
          since we are looking for something similar.
          One of my plans now is to go to California to a Zen Center called
          green gulch,where they also have a farm, do you know something about
          it.???
          Hope to keep in contact.
          Miguel
          Sacha Runa Farm
          Ecuador.

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Bart" <bartovan@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > we are a Belgian-Mexican couple of 34 with a son of 18 months,
          > settling down in Mexico on a small farm. Well, that's the plan at
          > least :) .
          > We spent a year and a half in the Mexican state Michoacan looking for
          > a spot and tasting the simple, rural working life - tastes great! -
          > but for practical reasons we had to come back to Belgium where we plan
          > on staying some 2 years before really buying a farm in Mexico.
          > We know we can do it, and we know how to do it, but we did become
          > aware of the fact that it is almost necessary to find some people who
          > are walking the same road, as neighbours or friends closeby (not like
          > a tight community in our view).
          > So we are very interested in contacting people with whome we share an
          > alike or compatible cosmovision. Ours would be zen-buddhist (for this
          > reason we like to live reasonably close to a zen center, like John
          > Tesshin Sanderson's "Zen Center de Mexico") and, for what's concerned
          > things practical, living a simple, hardworking life on an ecological
          > (fukuoka/permaculture) small farm in rural Mexico, preferably in the
          > state of Michoacan (for reasons of climate and forementioned closeness
          > to zen in Mexico City).
          >
          > Please do not hesitate to contact us if you think this would apply to
          > you or to some friend or acquintance...
          >
          > thank you,
          > Bart and Yuri

        • Bart
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2007
            Hello Miguel,

            thank you very much for responding, it's always very warming to
            encounter companeros walking more or less the same road...

            We also experienced the need for having spiritual and practical
            companeros closeby, and we also have thought about some kind of
            community of
            natural farmers, but partly because of some
            experiences we have had with communities or intended
            communities, and partly because of more
            philosophical/spiritual reasons, we don't believe a
            community project is viable or necessary. The only
            community that works, we think, is a religious temple,
            led by an authentic spiritual leader. Otherwise we think a
            village-like organisation is just right, close enough to help and
            share things but not too close to disturb. Or even just living like
            good neighbours close to an existing village - we're not trying to run
            away from "civilization", just trying to live an honest, meaningful
            life without harming anyone or any living thing...

            The only people we met who were interested in setting up a community,
            were people who had already tried to live in existing communities, but
            failed because they couldn't harmonize with the others and needed
            their OWN community with their OWN rules THEY liked - rather funny,
            no, different people living alone on their huge piece of land waiting
            for someone who would accept to live with them following the rules
            they invented and they liked best...

            But maybe you mean by community just being
            geographically close, like neighbours, organizing
            some of the activities together, learning from each other's
            experiences and knowledge, keeping an eye on
            each other's children, and on the farm when someone
            has to leave for a while - this would interest us
            greatly.

            When we went to Mexico, we went with the idea of
            integrating us in a small village, thinking people
            over there would have some living spiritual tradition
            and some ancestral farming knowledge. Sadly, both
            ideas are false (at least in the places where we
            were), materialism all over and pesticides also. Our
            neighbours were always nice and rather helpful people
            once the ice was broken, but not the kind we wanted to
            let our children go to play with a lot (watching TV,
            eating garbage, being yelled at and watching the dog
            get kicked at, and in case of medical problems a quick
            injection of some horse-remedy), nor could they begin
            to understand what and why we were trying to do with
            our lives.

            So as we see it, the ideal would be living in or
            around a "normal" small village somewhere in
            the mountains, but with a few natural farmers families
            close by, living like neighbours and, if it comes out
            that way, friends (or family when the children mary ;)
            ). And this at a reasonable distance from a zen
            practice center (4-5 hours still would be
            reasonable)...

            We're not even really fixed on Mexico, could be any
            country. But inside of Europe we would first have to
            work 30 years to pay off the land and house, and
            regulations are really strangling, we know of a lot of
            bad stories by organic growers, trials, hate, etc.. And outside Europe
            the only country to let us in easily is Mexico, because my wife
            is Mexican...

            Looking forward to hearing from you again... (Maybe we should start
            another topic if it would be of interest to the others, or go off-list...)
            If anyone else on this list has experiences, good or bad, with natural
            farming communities, please join in...

            greetings,
            Bart
          • torskel87
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 17, 2007
              Hi Bart
              I completely agree with you in relation to the way of doing a
              community, I lived for two years in a community in Venezuela´s Gran
              Sabana where we were trying to be self sufficient with permaculture
              and bio dynamic methods, but it didn´t work at all, as 15 people
              lived together in the same place, eveything was diagreement and life
              was out of harmony, with this experience never I would try to do a
              community like that, I think that the best community is the community
              with nature and with the family, and in relation to the people is fine
              like the way that people used to live before here in the Andes,
              communities were a group of families gathered in one place, every
              family lived independiently working in their lands, but all the
              families shared communitary work for the bennefit of all, like working
              in the building of a community house, or working in base of
              reciprocity, a person helped other family to harvest, so a member of
              the family was in debt to hepl him, the inca´s empire worked just in
              base of this reciprocity and that was the way that they were able to
              do so many things in a short period.
              I think that this would be a great way to build a "community of
              communities"a pleasant life and a pleasant world.And if life is
              pleasant and happy, shurely we will be getting close to nature.
              Cheers
              Miguel