Paraquat Emergency

  • Elsa Santos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 10, 2007
      "Ladies and Gentleman, dear Colleagues

      Tens of thousands of people are poisoned by the Syngenta herbicide
      Paraquat every year. Paraquat is a total contact herbicide used for
      plantation crops (banana, coffee,oil-palm, rubber, etc.), fruits, vines,
      tea, and as a dessicant for potato, pineapple, sugar-cane or sunflower.
      It is also used in GMO soy production.

      The Berne Declaration has started a broad public proceeding against
      Syngenta on the Website www.stop-paraquat.net . To highlight the urgency
      of our campaign we call on civil society to publicly condemn Syngenta's
      inhuman business policies. We hope to enlist the support of at least
      50,000 people to vote and pronounce a guilty verdict in the case against
      paraquat. Please help us to reach this goal by following means:

      1) Spread the Email attached at the end of this mail to as much people
      as possible.

      2) If you have an own Website: Download the campaign-banners at http://
      www.paraquat.ch/downloads.cfm?setlang=en and put them on your website.

      3) Endorse the stop paraquat campaign with the name of your organisation
      (see the list of supporters at http://www.paraquat.ch/supporter.cfm?
      setlang=en). To do so, write an email to food@... .

      4) Go to www.stop-paraquat.net yourself and send us your verdict.

      Thank you very much for your support

      François Meienberg

      (Email: )

      Dear friends

      Please read carefully and forward this email to your friends.

      Together with the Berne Declaration and 36 (inter-) national
      organizations I ask you to support the case against paraquat.

      The herbicide of the Swiss multinational corporation Syngenta poisons
      ten thousands of people every year.

      Paraquat is the world's most controversial herbicide. Not approved for
      use in Switzerland since 1990 because of the risks associated with it,
      paraquat is increasingly used in developing countries by plantation
      workers and small farmers to kill weeds.

      Ten thousands poison themselves every year because they lack of
      protective equipment and clothing or insufficient information. And
      thousands die a painful accidental death or commit suicide. There is no

      The agrochemical corporation Syngenta of Switzerland sells hundreds of
      millions of Swiss Francs worth of paraquat every year - putting lives at
      risk all over the world.

      The Berne Declaration, an independent Swiss organization, calls on
      people everywhere to publicly condemn the inhuman business practices of
      the Swiss corporation.

      Please support our online petition at http://www.stop-paraquat.net .

      Time is short: we need the support of at least 50,000 people by the end
      of the year.

      Please forward this e-mail to all your friends and acquaintances. There
      must be many more people out there, who are unhappy about a Swiss
      corporation putting lives at risk for the sake of a greater profit.

      Thank you for your participation!

      PS: If you wish to confirm the legitimacy of this e-mail campaign,
      please send a mail to paraquatinfo@...

      Erklärung von Bern - Berne Declaration
      François Meienberg
      Postfach, Quellenstrasse 25, CH-8031 Zürich (Switzerland)
      Tel. direkt: +41 (0)1 277 70 04, Fax +41 (0)1 277 70 01
      e-mail: food@..., www.evb.ch
      Spendenkonto: 80-8885-4

      Do You Yahoo!?