Re: about no till farming in an old pasture

  • jimgerhold
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
      Thanks, I think I'll try the cardboard thing for a smaller garden
      area. I refuse to use chemicals like glyphosate. I think I'd rather
      put up with lower yields. I know I'm the novice here but I'm gonna
      stick to my guns and really use no till, no chemical, no
      fertilizer,etc methods. I'm looking forward to generously planting
      daikon and an assortment of others. I plan on leaving most of the
      daikon and perhaps harvesting the daikon as needed for as long as it's
      still good.

      I can't wait to do naked oats myself. I'd like to do rye, some wheat
      but small stands. I'll keep everyone posted as I progress and learn.
      I plan on creating a website and documenting everything. I will be
      using heirloom varieties. Is anyone here familiar with the Brix method
      of growing nutrient dense crops? I'm hoping to achieve high brix
      crops using Fukuoka style farming. I'll be satisfied with gradual
      improvements either way. I'm going to put more into the philosophical
      approach as opposed to the scientific approach.

      Thanks,

      James
    • Etem Tezcan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
        Hi James,

        http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/CPW_9.htm

        describes something like your situation for growing wheat

        Briefly he proposes to

        * sow the clover in April

        * sow wheat in June (15th-30th)

        * - scythe the meadow when it goes to seed

        * - re-sow clover in summer, and in autumn if it has taken badly

        * - at all events, the wheat will grow

        Then resow wheat seed in next June

        Harvest at August

        Between June and August two wheat crops will reside in the same field, one
        in seedling form, other maturing

        Wheat must be a strict winter type. I heard Maris Widgeon variety will be
        OK, purchased the seed, will also try myself next summer.

        Please send feedback to Fukuoka group. Hope everything will be fine.

        Etem Tezcan

      • Sylvain Picker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
          Thank to all of you that visited the now extinct
          GAIAVOX.COM<http://gaiavox.com/>.
          All the info will be put on a new blog at http://gaiavox.blogspot.com/
          I am still looking for a farm of about 10 ha of arable land. The most
          freaking thing about it is making the business plan. How can we set up a
          commercial system where you do not end working 42 hours a day to pay the
          debt ?
          Using an ordinary tractor driving over a three row two meter bed (including
          wheel tracks) at an average of of three vegetables/meter and a two crop
          sucession over the season it gives us 800 pallets of 30 boxs (36 vegetables
          per box).
          At $25 a Box it gives us $750 a Pallet so we can sell $600,000 worth of
          vegetables in a season with 10 ha using a simple tractor an standards
          weeding tools. But you have to work between 37 and 56 hours a day to do
          that.
          Basically that's what still bugs me in this business plan.
          The other think that bugs me is weed control. I dream of invading the whole
          10 ha with some weedy herbs to get a crop at the same time. That would be so
          easy. The only problem with that perfect aproach is the enormous amount of
          seeds needed. And broadcast seeding is such a gambling. Frost seeding on
          clean firm ground is very efficient, so when it's done with small seeds it
          work all the times. Turnips, bread poppy, clover, dandelion, lucerne,
          alkekenge, savory, dill, calendula, fennel are easy. Corn and peas you have
          to push the seeds in the ground. The you have to harvest and ship 100
          pallets. What a headache.
          But at least we will have fresh vegs to eat and flowers to enlighten our
          senses.

        • James Gerhold
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2007
            Thanks Etem,
            I appreciate the link...It's exactly the information I'm searching for. This will give me more direction for further research. This is exactly the approach I would like to take. I will certainly keep everyone posted with my progress. Thanks again!

            James

            Visit Your Group

            Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use |

            Unsubscribe