No snow here in NY but snow in Mexico

  • kikoricco
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hey, The weather is very strange here in NY. No snow and temperatures
      are very mild. is see the forecast for tomorrow is rain with a high
      of 57 F (13 C)and the day after a high of 62 F (16 C). And a mexican
      friend of mine was telling me it was snowing like crazy in parts of
      mexico which never usually get snow. strange strange. At my fathers
      house in NJ we were practicing Nautral farming (sort of) before I
      even knew what it was. We usually throw organic wastes fromm the
      kitchen in the yard. He noticed 2 peach saplings growing (he eats a
      lot of peaches) about 2 or 3 months ago and a week ago when I was
      checking up on them I saw there were 6 shoots of corn coming up
      about 8 inches high where he had thrown corn cobs! I also noticed
      that there are a bunch of weeds and a "cover crop" of Ivy. also the
      banana and orange peels etc...must have contributed too. its really
      amazing for me after gting into naturl farming to see these things
      right under my nose. very encouraging. anyways here in Queens. I
      barely have a barren patch of garden 4 feet by 4 feet with a jesus
      statue in it (my mother in law). Ive thrown seeds there from stuff
      Ive eaten and some organic stuff but cant put that much as it is
      right in front of the house on the sidewalk and it cant look
      to "messy". I doubt the seeds will sprout without weeds working the
      soil and without any type of vegetation as cover and mulch. So i
      decided to try using seedballs under some stray rsomething. I want to
      plant clover, arugula, daikon and other things. I need suggestions on
      good plants that I can use to get the plot back into shape and work
      it and that are cold hardy as I want to sow now. I will seed a secret
      spot in the forest with wild vegetables. I need suggestions on plant
      types and also a website where I could order good seeds (i think
      think "organic" seeds would be the best for these projects) also I
      was lkng at the internet and came across the official website for the
      Hopi Community College where they have a course on agriculture and it
      is in the Hopi reservation in Arizona. I know the Hopi have a long
      tradition of notill agriculture, dry farming in the desert and so on
      and am very excited. They say the students have terraced gardens with
      fruits and vegetables around the campus. I sent an email but no
      answer yet and tried calling but the number was out of service. Does
      anyone know about this school. Im going to email the tribal offices.
      See you!