Seed Balls.

  • RobinFern´┐Żndez-Medina
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2002
      Hello,

      I am writing to you from Malaga Spain. I read the question on what seeds to use in the seed balls. I read one answer where Eucalyptus was mentioned. Here in the South we have a problem with Eucalyptus and would not recommend this tree to be spred freely. The reasons being its roots inhibiting other grow and also its prolific nature which tends to outgrow and eventually kill a lot of autoctonous species. It tends to end up in river beds of our dry runoff areas and adversely affects our riparian habitats. During the late 70' s in Huelva they started planting a type of Eucalyptus for paper production and discoverd by the 90's the extent of their impact. Our local governments have had several campaigns to tear and burn a lot of these trees and they are incredibly hardy once established. Their effect on the river beds is not beneficial in any way in our dry periods. So, Caution with these considering my experience in this particular area.

      The mimosa is also a prolific neighbour of ours here, but a little less of an adverse effect and easier controled. (great nitrogen fixers and pioneer plant).

      Regards,

      Robin