RE: [fukuoka_farming] Started reading Natural Farming BOOK

  • Frank Stancato
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
      Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude, my father taught me a long time ago to put any
      organic matter from the house directly into the soil. At times this was a
      challenge, especially if it was hot or the ground was frozen, but the
      results were always fantastic.

      We always seemed to have the happiest garden in the area. Whether it was
      from the direct addition of organics to it or the fact that dad made wine
      and apple jack, putting all of the material into the garden (he did till the
      garden that time of year).

      He also went so far as to aerate the lawn, the plugs went into the mulch
      pile that was from the leaves and manure he would have delivered, always in
      the summer and always at the bottom of the driveway so I would have
      something to do. And the mature mulch would be racked over the lawn, filling
      the plug wholes.

      Frank

    • Allan Balliett
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
        >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this whole post and
        >please answer a question or two.
        >thank you, Kiko

        Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
        assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
        farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
        (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.

        Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
        Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
        evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
        of land that they actually husband.

        -Allan
      • Robert Monie
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
          Alan Chadwick's methods are charmingly (though I cannot verify how accurately) presented in a little book by Tom Cuthbertson, "Alan Chadwick's Enchanted Garden," published in 1978 by the Institute for Man and Nature. Used copies are for sale on abebooks.com.

          Chadwick worked mostly in raised beds that were small enough for him to water and tend manually, not the larger experimental farm now run at Santa Cruz. Though he did not till, he did poke around in the soil with a triangular blade to loosen the compaction near the surface. (He freely admitted that watering from above often compacts the soil.) He was also both fussy and creative in dealing with "weeds." He transplanted some weeds, composted some, and thinned out others. He transplanted sow thistles and liked the tase of sonchus, allowed senecio and chicory to grow largely undisturbed but viewed convolvulus with great suspicion. People used to say that he "put on" his raised bed plant garden the same way that a drama director would stage a Shakespearian play (Chadwick was himself a classical actor).

          Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

          Bob Monie
          New Orleans

          Allan Balliett <aballiett@...> wrote:
          >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this whole post and
          >please answer a question or two.
          >thank you, Kiko

          Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
          assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
          farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
          (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.

          Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
          Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
          evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
          of land that they actually husband.

          -Allan

        • kikoricco
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
            The person who signed the letter was Jim Leap
            Farm Manager
            Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
            University of California

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
            wrote:

            > Alan Chadwick's methods are charmingly (though I cannot verify how
            accurately) presented in a little book by Tom Cuthbertson, "Alan
            Chadwick's Enchanted Garden," published in 1978 by the Institute for
            Man and Nature. Used copies are for sale on abebooks.com.

            > Chadwick worked mostly in raised beds that were small enough for
            him to water and tend manually, not the larger experimental farm now
            run at Santa Cruz. Though he did not till, he did poke around in the
            soil with a triangular blade to loosen the compaction near the
            surface. (He freely admitted that watering from above often compacts
            the soil.) He was also both fussy and creative in dealing with
            "weeds." He transplanted some weeds, composted some, and thinned out
            others. He transplanted sow thistles and liked the tase of sonchus,
            allowed senecio and chicory to grow largely undisturbed but viewed
            convolvulus with great suspicion. People used to say that he "put on"
            his raised bed plant garden the same way that a drama director would
            stage a Shakespearian play (Chadwick was himself a classical actor).

            > Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who
            emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

            > Bob Monie
            > New Orleans
            >

            > Allan Balliett <aballiett@...> wrote:
            > >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this
            whole post and
            > >please answer a question or two.
            > >thank you, Kiko
            >
            > Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
            > assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
            > farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
            > (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.
            >
            > Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
            > Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
            > evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
            > of land that they actually husband.
            >
            > -Allan

          • Allan Balliett
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
              >Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who
              >emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

              Another way of saying this is that Jeavons took Chadwick's intensive
              raised bed gardening methods, but stripped his garden of the
              spirituality that was so much part of Chadwick's legacy. -Allan
            • Tradingpost
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
                And Jeavons did much to popularize intensive beds, though a man named Peter
                Chan also put out a beautiful book on permanent raised bed growing, and
                Chan's work was authentic, based on his heritage in Chinese village
                gardening. Chan came from a career as professor of plant pathology in
                China.

                Better Vegetable Gardens the Chinese Way,
                http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=SW2bEgW,VsMHiVGbl9GihnGf,Gg
                _7758619146_2:2:7

                paul tradingpost@...

                --Henry David Thoreau