Re: [fukuoka_farming] Started reading Natural Farming BOOK

  • Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude Catry
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 17, 2006
      it advised burrying organic matter as a one time thing to speed up the process of regenerating soils depleted of organic matter and bio life . his hillside was a pine forest probably harvested for centuries with only red clay left .after that the maintenance of fertility is done thru growing plants ( trees also ) which purpose is to rot on the spot.
      clover and grains are plants that complete each other spatially and in functions leaving less room for weeds . grains especially fill the ecological niche of a grass limiting the need for wild grasses to establish .it is also a question of timing, to fill the ecological niches .
      in a conventional tilled field the tillage create a void that weeds are in hurry to fill while in an allready established association of plants there is way less opportunity for new plants to have a chance .

      <Some our our no-till yields
      drop by as much as 90 percent compared to tilled crops. >

      when a horse have been walking for long, hitting it with a stick will keep it going for a while until...it drop dead .
      same with soils that have been mined by monocropping on tilled field , you stop hitting with the stick ( tilling or fertilising ) it takes a rest . the problem , of looking for commercially oriented studies on farming, as guidance for understanding the way of nature , is that they will allways come with the same anwers like the guy , which economic survival depend on the horse, will tell you : never stop hitting this damned horse !

      the difficulty in natural farming is not a technical one, it is one of struggle in the relationship between humans desires and nature plans .

      what masanobu fukuoka propose is a radical shift in attitude toward self and nature . it is the ground work allowing possible social initiatives that will question , at the roots of it , all the present social covenants that manifest itself into an economic system which purpose is not the welfare of either people and other living communities .

      natural farming by its very most powerfull first assumption that nature do the growing will relieve humans from the illusion of trying to do better , and will cancel by the way, the need to sell illusionary "plus values"( increase in values.
      the monetary economic system have no future nor past in nature .
      natural farming is allready achieved . up to us to aligne ourselves with it or not.

      no university is designed to just do that for us !

      jean-claude

    • Frank Stancato
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
        Ingrid Bauer / Jean-Claude, my father taught me a long time ago to put any
        organic matter from the house directly into the soil. At times this was a
        challenge, especially if it was hot or the ground was frozen, but the
        results were always fantastic.

        We always seemed to have the happiest garden in the area. Whether it was
        from the direct addition of organics to it or the fact that dad made wine
        and apple jack, putting all of the material into the garden (he did till the
        garden that time of year).

        He also went so far as to aerate the lawn, the plugs went into the mulch
        pile that was from the leaves and manure he would have delivered, always in
        the summer and always at the bottom of the driveway so I would have
        something to do. And the mature mulch would be racked over the lawn, filling
        the plug wholes.

        Frank

      • kikoricco
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
          Thanks everyone! It seems every person who answers and I understand a
          little bit more about natural farming. It really seems too good to be
          true. I guess I was thrown off by the simplicity of it all. I cant
          wait to start.
        • Allan Balliett
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
            >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this whole post and
            >please answer a question or two.
            >thank you, Kiko

            Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
            assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
            farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
            (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.

            Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
            Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
            evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
            of land that they actually husband.

            -Allan
          • Robert Monie
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
              Alan Chadwick's methods are charmingly (though I cannot verify how accurately) presented in a little book by Tom Cuthbertson, "Alan Chadwick's Enchanted Garden," published in 1978 by the Institute for Man and Nature. Used copies are for sale on abebooks.com.

              Chadwick worked mostly in raised beds that were small enough for him to water and tend manually, not the larger experimental farm now run at Santa Cruz. Though he did not till, he did poke around in the soil with a triangular blade to loosen the compaction near the surface. (He freely admitted that watering from above often compacts the soil.) He was also both fussy and creative in dealing with "weeds." He transplanted some weeds, composted some, and thinned out others. He transplanted sow thistles and liked the tase of sonchus, allowed senecio and chicory to grow largely undisturbed but viewed convolvulus with great suspicion. People used to say that he "put on" his raised bed plant garden the same way that a drama director would stage a Shakespearian play (Chadwick was himself a classical actor).

              Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

              Bob Monie
              New Orleans

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
                The person who signed the letter was Jim Leap
                Farm Manager
                Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems
                University of California

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Robert Monie <bobm20001@...>
                wrote:

                > Alan Chadwick's methods are charmingly (though I cannot verify how
                accurately) presented in a little book by Tom Cuthbertson, "Alan
                Chadwick's Enchanted Garden," published in 1978 by the Institute for
                Man and Nature. Used copies are for sale on abebooks.com.

                > Chadwick worked mostly in raised beds that were small enough for
                him to water and tend manually, not the larger experimental farm now
                run at Santa Cruz. Though he did not till, he did poke around in the
                soil with a triangular blade to loosen the compaction near the
                surface. (He freely admitted that watering from above often compacts
                the soil.) He was also both fussy and creative in dealing with
                "weeds." He transplanted some weeds, composted some, and thinned out
                others. He transplanted sow thistles and liked the tase of sonchus,
                allowed senecio and chicory to grow largely undisturbed but viewed
                convolvulus with great suspicion. People used to say that he "put on"
                his raised bed plant garden the same way that a drama director would
                stage a Shakespearian play (Chadwick was himself a classical actor).

                > Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who
                emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

                > Bob Monie
                > New Orleans
                >

                > Allan Balliett <aballiett@...> wrote:
                > >And thats what they answered. Thanks for reading this
                whole post and
                > >please answer a question or two.
                > >thank you, Kiko
                >
                > Kiko - Who "signed" the letter from Santa Cruz? WHo was it from? I
                > assume everyone knows that the Alan Chadwick started the organic
                > farming movement at Santa Cruz back in the 70's. Deep hand tillage
                > (double digging) was the key to his highly productive farming methods.
                >
                > Thanks for sharing this letter. For those who are critical of the
                > Santa Cruz comments, I would point out that they have continued to
                > evolve their methodology according to their observations of the piece
                > of land that they actually husband.
                >
                > -Allan

              • Allan Balliett
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
                  >Chadwick's influence is felt today mostly though John Jeavons, who
                  >emulated him in practicing biointensive gardening

                  Another way of saying this is that Jeavons took Chadwick's intensive
                  raised bed gardening methods, but stripped his garden of the
                  spirituality that was so much part of Chadwick's legacy. -Allan
                • Tradingpost
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 18, 2006
                    And Jeavons did much to popularize intensive beds, though a man named Peter
                    Chan also put out a beautiful book on permanent raised bed growing, and
                    Chan's work was authentic, based on his heritage in Chinese village
                    gardening. Chan came from a career as professor of plant pathology in
                    China.

                    Better Vegetable Gardens the Chinese Way,
                    http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&qi=SW2bEgW,VsMHiVGbl9GihnGf,Gg
                    _7758619146_2:2:7

                    paul tradingpost@...

                    --Henry David Thoreau