Re: keyline system

  • Royal A. Purdy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
      Maihki asks: "Does anybody know of or have any information about
      p.a.yeomans keyline systme of land management, soil improvement."

      Maihki,

      A good friend, Abe Collins in Vermont, U.S.A. introduced me to the
      writings and work of P. A. Yeomans' "Keyline System" a number of
      years ago in written correspondence on other matters. I had the
      pleasure of visiting his (Abe's) farm utilizing a few of the
      functioning Yeomans sub-systems in Vermont early in March 2006. Abe
      says they are changing (adding) topsoil and root systems at the rate
      of six inches a year following these low cost, yet effective
      procedures and sub-systems.

      One of the many systems' elements is a type of minimum tillage plow,
      and should be of interest to all commercial size agriculturalists
      such as myself, along with flood irrigation systems. The plow in
      particular is in keeping with Masanobu Fukuoka's tenets of non-or
      minimum tillage.

      I was so impressed with Abes' trust and study knowledge in these
      system technologies, and with what I had witnessed, (and too my trust
      in Abe's research and data) that I took the step to add the systems
      to "The Elysian Fields and Pasture Project" written core element
      principles this spring.

      Folks who follow Vermont weather, know that early spring 2006 was dry
      and then most of this summer was wet beyond record. The farm flood
      irrigation sub-system didn't receive a test due to the wetness of the
      entire growing season; however their use of this minimum invasive
      type plow in existing deep sod created a healthy soil structure,
      uniquely suited to handle the aggressive and excessive wetness.

      This is older farm technology, that got drowned out by commercializm
      decades ago, revisited. Its a proven keeper.

      Be safe. Sincerely.

      Royal A. Purdy, The Elysian Fields and Pasture Project
      A.H. Tuttle and Company
      Farmington – Canandaigua, New York 14425
      www.ahtuttle.com
      rapurdy@...
      315-986-7007
    • Bart