keyline system

  • maihki neary
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2006
      does anybody know of or have any information about p.a.yeomans keyline systme of land management, soil improvement.

    • Douglas Barnes
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
        Have a look at the Yeomans site:
        http://www.yeomansplow.com.au/

        The real idea behind it is water catchment: swales, dams and ripping the soil with a Yeomans plow or equivalent.

        Douglas JE Barnes
        EcoEdge Design
        http://www.ecoedge.ca
        dbarnes@...

      • Royal A. Purdy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
          Maihki asks: "Does anybody know of or have any information about
          p.a.yeomans keyline systme of land management, soil improvement."

          Maihki,

          A good friend, Abe Collins in Vermont, U.S.A. introduced me to the
          writings and work of P. A. Yeomans' "Keyline System" a number of
          years ago in written correspondence on other matters. I had the
          pleasure of visiting his (Abe's) farm utilizing a few of the
          functioning Yeomans sub-systems in Vermont early in March 2006. Abe
          says they are changing (adding) topsoil and root systems at the rate
          of six inches a year following these low cost, yet effective
          procedures and sub-systems.

          One of the many systems' elements is a type of minimum tillage plow,
          and should be of interest to all commercial size agriculturalists
          such as myself, along with flood irrigation systems. The plow in
          particular is in keeping with Masanobu Fukuoka's tenets of non-or
          minimum tillage.

          I was so impressed with Abes' trust and study knowledge in these
          system technologies, and with what I had witnessed, (and too my trust
          in Abe's research and data) that I took the step to add the systems
          to "The Elysian Fields and Pasture Project" written core element
          principles this spring.

          Folks who follow Vermont weather, know that early spring 2006 was dry
          and then most of this summer was wet beyond record. The farm flood
          irrigation sub-system didn't receive a test due to the wetness of the
          entire growing season; however their use of this minimum invasive
          type plow in existing deep sod created a healthy soil structure,
          uniquely suited to handle the aggressive and excessive wetness.

          This is older farm technology, that got drowned out by commercializm
          decades ago, revisited. Its a proven keeper.

          Be safe. Sincerely.

          Royal A. Purdy, The Elysian Fields and Pasture Project
          A.H. Tuttle and Company
          Farmington – Canandaigua, New York 14425
          www.ahtuttle.com
          rapurdy@...
          315-986-7007
        • Bart