Hong Kong or Singapore

  • myleenordin
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006
      Hello. My name is Mylee. I have been a member for some time and follow
      the messages but have yet to add anything. I currently live in Japan
      but am Canadian born. In the next few weeks I am headed to Singapore
      and Hong Kong and was wondering if anyone is farming in either of
      these places or know of any city farming communities there? Any
      information would be greatly appreciated. With thanks, Mylee
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
        Hi Mylee,

        Since Singapore is heavily urbanized with buildings and parking lots, much of the growing activity there is on rooftops, mostly clever applications of aeroponics and hydroponics. A few people manage to practice Korean-style natural soil farming (which uses plant extracts and innoculant cultures, but no tilling, pesticide, or herbicide) as introduced by the Janong Natural Institute. You can email them for more information janong@... (http://www.janong.com/ENGLISH/02.htm).

        In Hong Kong, a good place to start might be Organic Gardens Ltd. in Cheung Lek Village, Sheung Shui (they are probably more conventionally organic rather than Fukuokan, but they engage in educational activities and might have some leads for you).
        See http://www.manulife.com.hk/manulife_public/english/content/newsroom/public_news/2005/16Dec05E.pdf
        (This link may come up very s-l-o-w-l-y).

        and

        http://www.producegreen.org.hk/eng/03.htm for some possible contacts to organic, sustainable, and maybe even natural farmers in Hong Kong.

        Bob Monie
        Zone 8