transition to semi-natural gardening

  • etem_tezcan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2006
      Hi,
      I rented a half acre garden which has not been cultivated for many
      years. Garden is full of weeds and grass. Soil is deep and mellow. It
      doesn't have access to running water. It is located in temparate-semi
      arid region. (about 40 degrees latitude and 800m altitude)Main crop is
      wheat-barley. I want to grow vegetables for family consumption in
      natural farming methods. I don't have so much organic material to
      create sheet mulch. I have access to lots of cardboards and some
      summer leaves. Shall I cut tiles of grass, turn them backwards and put
      cardboards under or over to create some sheet mulching effect.
      I plan to grow transplants in a different place and move to garden
      afterwards.
      Any advice on how to proceed.
      Thanks
      Etem