Anyone in the UK?

  • Ann Dickman
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2006
      I have had several unsuccessful goes at Fukuoka style farming but the
      weeds always win. I have comfrey,burdock and artichoke going in one
      patch but I would like to add radishes, onions and turnips to self
      seed. Has anyone done this in the UK? Docks and nettles seem too
      strong - do you hand weed? Do you have any successful varieties? I
      am in Devon.
    • Niels Corfield
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2007
        Ann,

        I have had some similar experiences, I am in West Yorkshire.
        Some questions if you will:
        what are you trying to grow?
        Do you use a scythe? Do you manage existing weed cover with any
        particular tool?
        Any possibility of animals for use on your land?
        What kind of plant nursing facilities do you have? what scale?
        Are you in the country or the city(ish)? what kind of mulch materials
        are available to you?

        Cheers,
        Niels

        My Bookmarks:
        http://del.icio.us/entrailer

        My Pics and Projects:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/nielscorfield/
        http://picasaweb.google.com/mudguard

        Groups I Contribute to:

        Swillington Permaculture Forest Garden Project -Aerial Image (Now Quite Old):
        http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=LS26+8QA&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=53.760874,-1.428051&spn=0.000943,0.00339&t=k&om=1