recent articles

  • caldwellquill
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2006
      Greetings,
      This is the first mesage I have posted here even though I have read with
      interest many of your topics for the past couple of years. I live in the sand hills
      of Kansas which is not the most fertile for growing, as opposed to much of the
      state which is renowned for wheat, corn, maize and soybean production.

      Over the past few decades I have tried my hand at finding the best form of
      growing that will fit the landscape in which I live. I have used tradational
      methods, no composting, composting, crop rotation, raised bed, haybale
      growing, grow bag production and for the past few years have included year
      around production using hydroponics, aeroponics , and aquaponics. And yes
      I have even grown rice here, even though most said it would be impossible.

      The point that I want to make here is that one must find what works best
      environmentally and ecologically for your geographic location. You cannot
      go thourgh the process with blinders on or use tunnel vision as a measuring
      rod. We are all given guidleines, but just because something works for the
      folks that live in some other country or in my case here in Kansas doesn't
      mean it is right for me. Don't get caught up in the exactness and miss out on
      an opportunity.

      Well, I have said enough for this time. Thanks for the opportunity.
      Q. Caldwell