Re: [fukuoka_farming] Fukuoka and crop rotation

  • Robert Monie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 21, 2006
      Hi Steven,

      Good question. Actually when One Straw Revolution was published in English in 1975, I believe, Fukuoka was in his early sixties. But that version in English by Larry Korn is an elaboration on the original, in which Korn adds conversational material that he picked up when he apprenticed with Fukouka. A lot of material in One Straw goes back to what Fukuoka was doing years before, whereas the two later books, published in the 80s reflect in much greater detail his subsequent practices and experiences, including his trip to America (especially California). I agree that I stretched the point by saying that the book was "written" when he was in his twenties; it would be better to have said that much of that classic work looks back to his first experiences and how he became a rice and citrus truck farmer selling to nearby markets. His subsequent books are necessary for understanding what he actually did during his long career as a farmer.

      Reading just One Straw can give a very incomplete idea of Fukuoka's actual practices. In Natural Farming, he goes into much greater detail regarding such things as rotations (he presents an intricate chart detailing how he believes rotations should be done). He even discusses such maters as using pyretheum to ward off predator insects (a controversial point to be sure) and he mentions his practice of "fertilizing" his rice field with several hundred pounds of chicken manure.

      Bob Monie
      Zone 8

      Steven McCollough <steb@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      I am surprised to hear the "One Straw Revolution," was written when
      Fukuoka was in his twenties. My early addition shows images of Fukuoka
      as an older man such as would be expected in 1978. In the text of the
      book he describes having gone through a microbiology career and
      discusses having spent 25 years developing the ideas presented with
      elaborate descriptions of the pitfalls along the way. How could this
      have been written by a young man in his twenties?

      Steven R McCollough
      Delta Webmaster
      15779 20th Lane
      Garden, MI 49835