Re:Store Bought Seed vs Other Seed

  • Forest Shomer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
      Ty,

      If you are willing to order by mail, you have dozens of choices.

      See: http://homepage.tinet.ie/~merlyn/seedsaving.html
      "Seed Saving Resources"

      also: http://www.seedsavers.org/
      "Seed Savers Exchange"

      Assuming you are in the USA, there is probably a Whole Foods store
      somewhere nearby. They usually have a display rack with Seeds of
      Change, and sometimes, other labels that are non-hybrid in origin.

      Truly,

      Forest

      Inside Passage Seeds and Native Plant Services
      Forest Shomer, owner
      Port Townsend, WA, USA
      inspass@...
      http://www.insidepassageseeds.com

      >Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:52 pm (PST)
      >
      >hi all,
      >
      >Im starting a small natural farm in a relatives back yard. Im going to
      >try various techniques based on the Fukuoka method. I have no
      >expectations except to learn and have fun.
      >
      >but I was wondering about seed? There are many seed types sold in
      >stores, but Im not sure if those have been engineered or altered in
      >some way? Most of the brands we have here are made by the Burpee
      >brand. Is it OK to use this seed? (i.e.- will it be a strong fertile
      >plant?) or if not, is there a place to get more natural seeds that are
      >better?
      >
      >any help is appreciated, thanks!
      >
      >-Ty

    • Gloria C. Baikauskas
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 13, 2006
        I usually recommend two seed developers <who don't use GMO methods, but
        natural ones instead> who have been members of this list. George
        Stevens develops seeds in N. California. The URL for his website is
        http://www.synergyseeds.com

        The other seed developer is in Oregon, Tim Peters. His URL is

        http://www.pioneer-net.com/psr/index.html

        Gloria, Texas