Re: [Disarmed] [fukuoka_farming] Natural Farming in Australia/Thailand

  • Laurence Hutchinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2006
      HI,
      From the immediate situation and the local resources you seem to have, aquaculture may well lend itself to this situation. Rice paddies and other bodies of water will support aquaculture crops such as fish, crustaceans and edible aquatic plants./ Ph as you point out is important for both plant growth and aquaculture. Immediate lime applications will increase Ph levels for both. Clay substrates are a potential sources of nutrients even where topsoil is thin. Pond residues created by aquaculture are high in nutrients which can be spread on the land to improve soil quality. Both agriculture and aquaculture can benefit each other in a much more symbiotic way when run together.
      As there would appear to be an abundance of clay and water ponds will be easy to construct. These can produce fish, freshwater crawfish and edible aquatic plants all at the same time. Tree planting (fruiting trees) will provide a sustainable edible crop and enhance the aquatic environment at the same time.
      Where a freshwater supply exists it would be sensible to use all of the natural resources in conjunction with each other for agriculture and aquaculture.

      Plastic sheeting will also retain nutrients in compost bins as long as the compost is covered in heavy rainfall to prevent nutrient leaching. Compost should be moist but in tropical climates this should not be a problem only in the dry season October to March.

      Kind regards
      Laurence Hutchinson
      Director
      Freshwater Solutions